Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:15 am

Inside the card.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day, more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
And please stay with me till the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years;
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

NC Quailhunter

Re: Caution, very emotional

Post by NC Quailhunter » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

I read this and all of a sudden the dust kicks up and aggravates my eyes. Amazing.
I'd rather live on the side of a mountain, than wander through canyons of concrete and steel.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:03 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:I read this and all of a sudden the dust kicks up and aggravates my eyes. Amazing.
Lots of crap in the air here, too. Must be the season.

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Couldn't finish I'll have to try again later.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:40 pm

I sent that to someone who was grieving once. He replied, "that didn't help at all!" Some days are diamonds and some days are ...............
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Sharon wrote:I sent that to someone who was grieving once. He replied, "that didn't help at all!" Some days are diamonds and some days are ...............
If someone was to send me that, I think I'd shoot them. And yet it's so true! I found that painting og the girl by accident and someone on here told me who painted it. The painter died in 1920.

By the way Craig, I have never been able to read it all in one go.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Sharon wrote:I sent that to someone who was grieving once. He replied, "that didn't help at all!" Some days are diamonds and some days are ...............
Sharon, I told my wife today that I sent her a message from the point of view of an old dog (this poem from Don).

She started crying. I deleted the message real quick before she could even see it.

Saturday, her old cat had a massive heart attack and died in her arms. Next to me right now lies our 15 year old dog who is on all kinds of meds and just hanging in there. He'll be heading over the bridge any day, week, or month now. Apparently it was too much?? I'm pretty clueless here.

I found the poem comforting in so many ways, but apparently it's a matter of perspective?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:25 pm

I found it touching and a very nice poem, along with the picture but I am wondering what is wrong with me, because unlike others, I had no problem reading it and felt no dust in my eyes. But anyway, very nice and thanks for sharing Don!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:21 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
Sharon, I told my wife today that I sent her a message from the point of view of an old dog (this poem from Don).

She started crying. I deleted the message real quick before she could even see it.

Saturday, her old cat had a massive heart attack and died in her arms. Next to me right now lies our 15 year old dog who is on all kinds of meds and just hanging in there. He'll be heading over the bridge any day, week, or month now. Apparently it was too much?? I'm pretty clueless here.

I found the poem comforting in so many ways, but apparently it's a matter of perspective?

I guess I'm just as clueless; I meant well. Don't we send sympthy cards t0 a friend when someone dies?
Either way I would not have had to send the PM back and say 'That didn't help." :|
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm

birddogger wrote:I found it touching and a very nice poem, along with the picture but I am wondering what is wrong with me, because unlike others, I had no problem reading it and felt no dust in my eyes. But anyway, very nice and thanks for sharing Don!

Charlie
We all handle grieving in different ways; I'm often see as indifferent when someone dies. However, I had two brothers die before the age of 18 and my dear Mom died when I was 23 . When you have significant death tragedies in your life ,you can seemingly treat death coldly, just so you don't have to go through all that pain again. We should never judge someone's way of grieving.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:43 pm

This one is sure to get tears from me. Not sure that it was originally written for a German Shorthair, or who even wrote it. I've just seen it on a few sites, in regards to condolences.
The Spirit of a German Shorthair Dog

I was standing on a hillside, in a field of blowing wheat
And the spirit of a German Shorthair Dog was lying at my feet.
He looked at me with kind dark eyes, an ancient wisdom shining through
And in the essence of his being, I saw love there too.

His mind did lock upon my heart as I stood there on that day

And he told me of this story about a place so far away.
I stood upon that hillside in a field of blowing wheat
And in a twinkling of a second, his spirit had left my feet.

His tale did put my heart at ease, my fears did fade away
About what lay ahead of me on another distant day.
"I live among God's creatures now, in the heavens of your mind
So do not grieve for me my friend, as I am with my shorthair kind.

My collar is a rainbow's hue, my leash a shooting star
My boundaries are the Milky Way where I sparkle from afar.
There are no pens or kennels here, for I am not confined
But free to roam God's heavens, among my Shorthair kind.

I nap the day on a snowy cloud, gentle breezes rocking me
And dream the dreams of earthlings, and how it used to be.
The trees are full of grouse up here and quail they do abound,
And pheasants line the meadows, just waiting to be found.

There even is a field trial grounds, the grass all lush and green
And everyone who gets around becomes a champion.
For we're all winners in this place, we have no faults you see
And God passes out those ribbons, to each one, even me.

I drink from waters laced with gold, my world a beauty to behold
And wise old dogs do form my pride to amble at my very side.
At night I sleep in an angel's arms, her wings protecting me
And moonbeams dance about us as stardust falls on thee.

So when your life on earth is spent and you stand at Heaven's gate
Have no fear of loneliness, for here, you know I'll wait."

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Sharon wrote:
birddogger wrote:I found it touching and a very nice poem, along with the picture but I am wondering what is wrong with me, because unlike others, I had no problem reading it and felt no dust in my eyes. But anyway, very nice and thanks for sharing Don!

Charlie
We all handle grieving in different ways; I'm often see as indifferent when someone dies. However, I had two brothers die before the age of 18 and my dear Mom died when I was 23 . When you have significant death tragedies in your life ,you can seemingly treat death coldly, just so you don't have to go through all that pain again. We should never judge someone's way of grieving.
I would never treat death coldly or judge anybody's way of grieving,but like you, I have been familiar with death since I was a small child. I have been critisized by my own mother [whom is dead now] when my father died because she felt that I didn't show enough emotion. I don't believe anybody has the right to judge how I handle grief because nobody can see what is going on the inside of any individual. As far as this poem, I am just being honest on how it affected me. Apparently, I am not as outwardly emotional about these things as others are. I have not cried over the loss of a dog since I was a child, but that doesn't mean that I am cold. Maybe I had my heart broken, so many times [as far as animals are concered] that I just learned to handle the reality of it.

Charlie

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:26 pm

Good poem!

Soilman

Post by Soilman » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:44 am

This is one I've always liked:

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead.

He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for a number of years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like Mother of Pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold.

He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side. When he was close enough, he called out, "Excuse me, where are we?"

"This is Heaven, sir," the man answered.

"Wow! Would you happen to have some water" the man asked. Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up."

The man gestured, and the gate began to open.

"Can my friend," gesturing toward his dog, "come in, too?" the traveler asked.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we don't accept pets."

The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog.

After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road which led through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed. There was no fence. As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book.

"Excuse me!" he called to the reader. "Do you have any water?"

"Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there". The man pointed to a place that couldn't be seen from outside the gate. "Come on in."

"How about my friend here?" the traveler gestured to the dog.

"There should be a bowl by the pump."

They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it.

The traveler filled the bowl and took a long drink himself, then he gave some to the dog. When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree waiting for them.

"What do you call this place?" the traveler asked.

"This is Heaven," he answered.

"Well, that's confusing," the traveler said. "The man down the road said that was Heaven, too."

"Oh, you mean the place with the gold street and pearly gates? Nope. That's heck."

"Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?"

"No. I can see how you might think so, but we're just happy that they screen out the folks who'll leave their best friends behind."

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:23 am

First time I ever read this poem the picture was of a hunter out on the prairie with his new pup and the older dog (that passed away) was sitting by the man's side where his arm was, looked like he was petting him. THAT got to me.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 am

That's a good story. I only have one problem with the whole thing, when I die, do I get to have just one dog back or all of them?

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am

DonF wrote:That's a good story. I only have one problem with the whole thing, when I die, do I get to have just one dog back or all of them?
I surely hope it's all of them, and all at their best.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:37 am

wems2371 wrote:This one is sure to get tears from me. Not sure that it was originally written for a German Shorthair, or who even wrote it. I've just seen it on a few sites, in regards to condolences.
All of these are great poems, but I had never seen this one before and think it's wonderful.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

whiskey river

Post by whiskey river » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:05 am

Dang that one hit home....just put Diesel my Yellow down about 2 weeks ago and he was one of the prettiest yellows I have ever set eyes on almost snow white.
My 6yr old daughter talks about him every day. That picture really resembles them.
Just for the record it took me 2 times to read it all......and it sure is dusty in my office today may need to call housekeeping to change the hvac filters.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:59 pm

NC Quailhunter wrote:I read this and all of a sudden the dust kicks up and aggravates my eyes. Amazing.
same thing happened to me!!

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:04 pm

The Spirit of a German Shorthair Dog... lost it on that one. Ive lost family members and friends and have never shed a tear, but when it comes to me thinking about loosing my dog or reading these poems, I get all choked up!!

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:55 pm

I am with birddogger, cant see the dust I guess. These are animals folks and we are suppose to outlive them. I guess when you treat them like a commodity and a means to and end you dont get attatched like some, but even as a child I never did because I understood the cycle of life I guess. :?
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:03 pm

jwnissen wrote:The Spirit of a German Shorthair Dog... lost it on that one. Ive lost family members and friends and have never shed a tear, but when it comes to me thinking about loosing my dog or reading these poems, I get all choked up!!
Everybody is different and please don't get offended by this, but this is something that I just can't understand.

Charlie

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

Parted ways with many a dog in my time, got 6 at home now to comfort me :) it is a shame they dont live longer, but as one child said, we are here to learn how to be nice to each other and love everyone. Dogs dont have to spend as long, they got it already.

When I die I want to go where the dogs go.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935