Dog aggression

codym

Dog aggression

Post by codym » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:45 pm

Has anyone had any luck with a male dog that likes to fight with other males. He is intact and very good with people and females but any other mature male comes around and even sniffs him, he's ready to roll. I'm considering getting him neutered but if it doesn't help than I won't do it. I don't plan on breeding him but he is only 3.5 and does have field trial wins and is a heck of a wild bird dog so I would like to have the option. Anyone able to correct this behavior?

Doc E

Re: Dog aggression

Post by Doc E » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Aggressive dogs are characterized by low omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty
acid status
Veterinary Research Communications
March 2008;32(3):225-30
Simona Re, Marco Zanoletti, Enzo Emanuele

FROM ABSTRACT

Canine aggressive behaviour is one of the most common problems being reported by dog owners. However, the biochemical basis of this phenomenon remains unclear.
In humans, alterations in omega-3 plasma polyunsatured fatty acids and elevated omega-6/omega-3 ratios have been linked to behavioural alterations, including aggression.
Thus far, however, the relationship between plasma polyunsatured fatty acid status and aggression has not been investigated in the dog.
Eighteen adult male German Shepherd dogs, aged 4.9±0.9 years, showing no
clinical signs but aggression, were investigated.
Eighteen healthy male dogs, aged 4.8±0.7 years, with a negative history of
behavioural and neurological disorders served as controls.
Baseline fasting plasma polyunsatured fatty acid composition was determined by gas chromatography.
Compared to normal dogs, aggressive dogs showed lower docosahexaenoic acid (22:6 n-3) concentrations and a higher omega-6/omega-3 ratio.In addition, they showed reduced cholesterol and bilirubin concentrations compared to their normally behaving counterparts.
Altogether, our results suggest that low omega-3 fatty acids may adversely impact behaviour in dogs, resulting in greater propensity to aggression.
THESE AUTHORS ALSO NOTE:
“Aggressive behaviour is a common behavioural problem in dogs, resulting in
bite injuries, reaching epidemic proportions.”

“In humans, abnormalities in lipid metabolism have been found in a variety
of mental disorders, including pathological aggression and anxiety.”
Altered lipid profile may play a relevant role in hyperactivity, aggression and
impulsiveness.
The relationship between blood lipid status and behaviour is mediated by
central serotonergic activity. Central serotonergic activity is reduced among animals fed a low-fat/low-cholesterol diet.
Hypocholesterolemia occurs in aggressive dogs.
“Of great interest, human studies have also pointed to a role for alterations in
omega-3 plasma polyunsatured fatty acids and elevated omega-6/omega-3 ratios in the pathophysiology of aggression and hostility.”
In this study, the aggressive group consisted of 18 German Shepherd dogs
selected on the basis of aggressive behaviour. They all had a history of aggressive incidents and attacks without warning (bites toward humans).
Eighteen healthy male German Shepherd dogs with no history of behavioural
and neurological disorders served as controls.
Fasting blood samples were collected and analyzed for arachidonic acid
(20:4 n-6), eicosapentaenoic acid (20:5 n-3), docosahexaenoic acid (22:6 n-3) and omega-6/omega-3 ratio.
RESULTS
“There was a significant reduction in the concentration of bilirubin and total
cholesterol in the aggressive group compared to the control group.”
“Compared to normal dogs, aggressive dogs showed a significantly lower
concentration of docosahexaenoic acid (22:6 n-3) and a higher omega-6/omega-3 ratio.”DISCUSSION
“There is consistent evidence from other studies, especially from human
epidemiological investigations, that a low omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acid status could be linked to aggressive behaviour.”
Low cholesterol levels may also be correlated to canine aggressiveness.

“Results of our study showed that German Shepherd dogs with a history of
aggressive behaviour displayed a significantly lower docosahexaenoic acid
(22:6 n-3) concentration and a significantly higher omega-6/omega-3 ratio when compared with non-aggressive dogs.”
Several studies suggest that low-omega 3 fatty acid status may adversely
impact serotonergic function in the central nervous system.
“The connection between hypocholesterolemia and dog aggression may
similarly occur via altered production, reuptake, or metabolism of
neurotransmitters.”
“Reduced serum cholesterol may be a biochemical feature associated with
canine aggression.”
Reduced bilirubin may be related to dog aggressiveness, because bilirubin is
neuroprotective to the central nervous system.
“In conclusion, our pilot study suggests that low concentrations of cholesterol, bilirubin, docosahexaenoic acid and a higher omega-6/omega-3 ratio may be biological correlates of aggressiveness in German Shepherd dogs.”

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 pm

Statistically sample sizes too small to be extrapolated to a general pop. However if accurate, the question an owner would likely want answered: Is it possible to reduce the Omega-6/Omega-3 ratio, and how?
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:12 pm

Yep.

Doc, what are the treatment implications, if any, from this study?

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm

During trials with another in-tact male does he mind his own business?

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:44 pm

codym wrote:Has anyone had any luck with a male dog that likes to fight with other males. He is intact and very good with people and females but any other mature male comes around and even sniffs him, he's ready to roll. I'm considering getting him neutered but if it doesn't help than I won't do it. I don't plan on breeding him but he is only 3.5 and does have field trial wins and is a heck of a wild bird dog so I would like to have the option. Anyone able to correct this behavior?

I can tell you that its very hard to impossible to get rid of completely......I've got one and its just something you decide your going to manage.
I can't speak to all that scientific stuff just what I've experienced. You have to watch in trying to fix the problem you don't make them meaner.
Mines like the drunk idiot at the bar who's just gotta puff up and see who wants to go....no takers and he's good. Stinks sometimes but I am
able to manage it ..... I won't run him in a trial anymore.....twice in trials his bracemate ran him over and ruined him for that too, and I just
won't put someone else in a position where that could happen to their dog/weekend.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Munster

Post by Munster » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:58 pm

This is an interesting topic. I say that because if a male dog doesnt get along with other males, but does females is that dog actually dog aggressive or just doing what males do?
Is he like that with altered dogs?
Does he go out of his way to attack another dog? If this is the case, I would call it dog aggression and for sure would not breed it.

I have a male that gets along great with other dogs, females but not males. He will hunt with them just fine, but dont put them face to face. A good friend of mine has a Draht male and we started out trying to force these to jokers to get along. Didnt happen. We finally decided that as long as they hunt fine together, why push the issue.

You will just have to control it through obedience and it can be done.
That same male of mine proved that to me. While at a fun hunt another guy was letting his dog run amuck while he was loading or unloading his equipment(BIG pet peeve of mine) I had my male in a "Down" the guys male dog came over to mine and stood over him! I seriously thought that world war 3 was going to erupt. But obedience one over. He was more concerned about what I would do to him if he broke, then what the other dogs would do to him.

So you will just have to firm up obedience with the dog. I think intact males can just be like that and at his age may be altering wont change his mind set.
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 am

Agreed that this study had only a few participants, but even with that said, the results were pretty convincing.

The best way to increase Omega-3 (to omega-6) is the addition of Fish Oil into the dog's diet. As the study pointed out, the important Omega-3s were EPA & DHA (not ALA). So that means Fish Oil and not Flaxseed Oil.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:13 am

I'm having this EXACT problem with my 3.5 year old male shorthair. He's absolutely fine around females and older, fixed males. But bring another intact male around and he goes nuts. He'll stand there and growl and bow up even if the other male doesn't give him the slightest attention. As long as the other males don't come over and get too close to him while he's hunting he's ok. I am planning on getting mine fixed to see if it helps anything. I will never breed him anyone and I figured it's worth a shot. I'd love to run him in NSTRA and work with him more but it's just a hassle. I blame the problem on myself for not socializing him better at a young age. Any advice for this youngster would help, I'm at my wits end!

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:14 am

Sooo... according to this, I should be giving my dog AND my wife omega-3??? :mrgreen:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

codym

Post by codym » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:48 am

bb560m wrote:During trials with another in-tact male does he mind his own business?

Yeah he is fine as long they don't get in his space. He won't go out of his way to attack them but like I said if they cross paths he starts to growl and will go after them if I don't get him away from the other dog. I got him at a year and a half so I don't know if lack of socialization is the problem. It sucks because I would like to get another male in the future but I don't want to be breaking up fights all the time. Has anyone had luck neutering?

JKP

Post by JKP » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:51 am

Sounds like he may be insecure...lacks confidence...would need to see the dog. I'd say plan on hunting with bitches or alone. At this age, you dare not really trust him. He's adopted this behavior and IMO neutering won't make a difference.

I would start over unless you feel you can manage the dog over the coming years.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:55 pm

You must not be running him in AKC stuff---two fights with write ups in their events that are his fault and AKC will ban the dog from competing. They don't put up with aggressive dogs.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:00 pm

Please be very care full when you do have to break up a fight with your dog and another. Your dog can turn on you trew no fault of his own. It's called a reactionary bite. He could perceive you touching him as the other dog doing it and wheel around and bite your hand not the other dogs paw.

steamer

Post by steamer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:03 pm

http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/storeitems.php there is a section in this book for dealing with an aggresive dog . it seems pretty detailed on how to go about trying to break a dog from fighting . i have never really had to deal with this problem so i cant say if its good info or not. basicaly you force the aggressive dog to submit to another dog . it gives a step by step process on how to do this in a controled enviroment. it sure doesnt sound like fun.

codym

Post by codym » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:17 pm

deseeker wrote:You must not be running him in AKC stuff---two fights with write ups in their events that are his fault and AKC will ban the dog from competing. They don't put up with aggressive dogs.

I don't think I ever said he had a fight at a field trial. He is fine with dogs while hunting its when you bring them face to face or around his kennel.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:48 pm

Put a bark collar on him and put him back in the same situation.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:52 pm

gotpointers wrote:Put a bark collar on him and put him back in the same situation.
Because dogs bark right before they're about to get into it? Even if that was so, I wouldn't want a dog in a "fighting mentality" thinking the other dog just bit him.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:24 pm

brad27 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:Put a bark collar on him and put him back in the same situation.
Because dogs bark right before they're about to get into it? Even if that was so, I wouldn't want a dog in a "fighting mentality" thinking the other dog just bit him.
It works on the growl. My gsp knew it wasn't a bite. And it stopped it real quick. I need to figure out how to stop his pissing on other dogs. Maybe a hot wire. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm

This type of thing is something you stop (jump all over) before a growl even takes place, they so much as cut their eyes wrong you gotta see it and take action. Posture up you (the aggressive dog) got bigger problems then that other dogs gonna give ya. I've seen the E collar and dog aggression go south quick more than once and on more than one dog......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:10 pm

The bark collars a lot quicker to activate than i could ever could be with an E-collar. Also works when i am not there.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:01 am

It sounds as tho you have not used the collars to stop many aggressive dogs.....it doesn't work alot of times ! It in fact makes things worse.....

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:10 am

I would never use it unless the dogs were seperated by a fence. Every time I have seen it done it triggered a fight.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will keep an eye out for that if it comes up.