bemused

justapup

bemused

Post by justapup » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm

I have been watching this board off and on for a number of years, and I am always bemused by posts about getting a puppy.

Do people really say, oooh that is a pretty picture of a dog, I am calling the breeder, and boy the breeder is a nice guy so he has great dogs?

What ever happened to looking at the dogs in person, and when you can't do that looking for dogs that have performed well in competition. Oh I know people say "I am not raising Field Trial Dogs" Really when did a dog that does well in competition become a bad thing?? Do you realize that the British, Germans, French... would laugh at you for saying that? Trials prove the mettle of a dog.

It is also bemusing that they will say that, and in the next breath tout the great pedigree their dog has. Well which is it, do you believe in trials or not? If you don't isn't the titles in the pedigree a moot point?

Come on people, when you say you are going to do "research" to find the best dog for you, really do, do your research, call, don't email the breeder. Is he willing to talk to you for an extended period of time? The good ones will, as that tells them you are really interested in getting the right dog. Go see the parents if possible. I realize you can't always do it, because of time and distance, but then don't be afraid to call the breeder several times before making yuour decision.

A puppy is a long term investment in time, commitment, and love, they deserve to have you do your homework.

twofeathers

Re: bemused

Post by twofeathers » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 am

There is something irrationally and inexplicably bemusing about your first post on this forum. :D

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:17 am

It is bemusing and amusing both that folks can actually believe that what is said on a message board actually happened....or is limited to what happens.

It is confusing why people enjoy pulling a jointed blue rapala behind a boat.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:05 am

I find it slightly amusing that people with obvious knowledge and experience choose to withold it from others and just watch threads for years rather than join in and share to help others... :roll:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 am

I have been watching this board off and on for a number of years, and I am always bemused by posts about getting a puppy.
I am bemused that anyone could find several years of humor from a forum and not even acknowledge his presence or offer advice to the wayward posters for that long. Does your user name (justapup) describe your knowledge of dogs and people or does it mean something entirely different?

Welcome to the board. Happy you have built up the courage to become part of it. I am sure you have already noted over the years you have read it that there are many people on here that can and will help you learn by answering the questions you have about your dogs and their training. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:42 pm

justapup wrote:, really do, do your research,.

Haha you said do do.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:02 pm

So Mr. Bemused, do you laugh at your pups when they don't do what you want them to do, or do you teach them?

DougB

Post by DougB » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:13 am

justapup wrote:Do people really say, oooh that is a pretty picture of a dog, I am calling the breeder, and boy the breeder is a nice guy so he has great dogs?
Labradoodle, Puggle, any other designer dog at $1000 each. Yes, the uninformed do react to pictures and jump in without thought. Even with knowledge, pictures of puppies are hard to avoid and resist. Fortunately, my wife has instilled a firm "NO" command in me.
Why own a dog? There's a danger you know,

You can't own just one, for the craving will grow.

There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger.

While living with lots, you'll grow poorer and stranger.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:46 am

AzDoggin wrote:So Mr. Bemused, do you laugh at your pups when they don't do what you want them to do, or do you teach them?
Nice! :lol: :lol:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

justapup

Post by justapup » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Pretty much the types of responses I expected :). I am not really trying to rip on anyone, but rather trying to understand the logic people use when searching for a puppy. I guess I am coming from a more studied approach to finding dogs, and less of a gut reation to doing it.

Yes I do laugh at the dogs, when they don't do what I want them to do. They have great personalities and everyone is unique, and I find it amusing, the lengths they will go to at times to not do something. What I don't do is get mad at them, as I know they are just being a dog, we just work our way through an issue and go on to the next thing.

I don't frequent boards that often, so seldom join them, I just joined so maybe someone could explain the rationale behind choosing puppies.

I love insightful responses like the one about "do,do" LOL Oh well, that is sometimes the way of these boards, I have had people give me crap before and I know they will again! LOL