Looking for a Cull!

JuliaH

Re: Looking for a Cull!

Post by JuliaH » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:05 am

Be cautious!!! I have not read the entire thread, nor do I know the man asking.... but I did let one of my dogs go ONE time. Never will again. They usually breed them with the other breeds to lend more talent to their bulldog types or use them as chase dogs. Getting hurt is a big possibility, but that is not what happened to my dog...

The guy who had him first did not abuse him, but he did not turn out as he expected. So he traded or sold him to another guy in Florida. The dog was put on a short chain, no shade, and food tossed at him from time to time. Long story short, I had to drive to Florida to get him because a rescue lady got him and tracked me down and let me know. We rehabbed him and put him in a pet home.

NEVER AGAIN! He came home skin and bones and wormy, and scared.

It is a different world, and the GSP or other pointing breed does not fit into it very well.

Julia
Karl & Julia Heidbrink
Buggytown Bird Dogs
Central Georgia

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:36 am

JuliaH wrote:Be cautious!!! I have not read the entire thread, nor do I know the man asking.... but I did let one of my dogs go ONE time. Never will again. They usually breed them with the other breeds to lend more talent to their bulldog types or use them as chase dogs. Getting hurt is a big possibility, but that is not what happened to my dog...

The guy who had him first did not abuse him, but he did not turn out as he expected. So he traded or sold him to another guy in Florida. The dog was put on a short chain, no shade, and food tossed at him from time to time. Long story short, I had to drive to Florida to get him because a rescue lady got him and tracked me down and let me know. We rehabbed him and put him in a pet home.

NEVER AGAIN! He came home skin and bones and wormy, and scared.

It is a different world, and the GSP or other pointing breed does not fit into it very well.

Julia
Yuu are spot on, Julia!
The poster is looking for a cheap throw away dog which will also be a throw away dog.
It wont live past next birthday.
better luck going to the pound and finding some mix breeds with bulldog/cur bred. If they make through a few hunts they will be useful.

Id suggest that he invest money in a real hog dog..
Jagd terriers, Catahoulas, Black Mouth Curs, & Drahthaars are the best choice, with the right Line (ie Nose, Grit, Run, Drive and independence).
Been doing it for decades in their respective states/countries, with heaven knows how many hogs bayed/killed over them.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:48 am

ACooper wrote:
JKP wrote:The most successful hog hunters and dogs I know personally are in Germany. They either drive them to shooters on stand or work 1-2 dogs alone on hogs in cover.
I am sure you will agree that the majority of hog hunting in Europe and what we do here are pretty different.

When wounded Russian hogs are holed up in the thickets, its pretty much the same game everywhere, and very dangerous.
Get between a tree and a hog in a thicket=bad situation.
Germans and Europeans hunters favor Jadg Terriers, Drahthaars and Wachtelhunds, and they kill an awful lot of boar.

The independence in dogs is needed, but too much can also a liability & ruin a hunt.
Hunters I know, say a 200-600 meter cast dog is ideal for most hunting, as private property can be an issue, a dog must also be cooperative and come back when called for most hunting if the cast is not productive, not run into next county.
Silent type hunter is also better, as its a big chase otherwise.
Lose the element of surprise.

The Dogo is a 'hybrid dog' that has a small shot of pointer in the breed, but lots of bulldog,
Its a Catching silent hog hunting machine, a bulldog which some like here and some dont.
Nice dogs, imo.

I wouldnt use any non hog breeds like Setters, Britts or Pointers for this job usless its a throw away dog, or the dog has lots of back up. But in that case, why even run one?
Smarts and toughness are needed most and other breeds. like those mentioned ( Cats, Black Mouths, Jadgs, Drahthaars, Wachtlehunds, Cattle Dogs, Dogos,) are far better suited for silent type hunting dogs.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:54 am

Nick Yochum wrote:My catahoula dogs could use a bit more hustle to suit me and my black mouths could use more winding ability . I personally dont mind eatin the hogs, smaller ones are excellent the bigger boars are just plain nasty but I have several vietnamese folks get hogs from me that will eat only mature boars.

Why dont you find a Cat hunter/breeder to add hustle into your cat line then?
Or a Black Mouth hunter/breeder that has the nose your looking for rather than trying to make a silk purse with a cheap throw away dog?
Its out there, I assure you.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:10 pm

Doug, You are asuming quite a bit about me and you know what happens when you assume and just because a dog doesnt make a bird dog doesnt mean it wont make a hog dog. I hunt a lot with quite a few people and dont see many cur dogs that I feel can improve my dogs doesnt mean their not out there I just havent hunted with them. Curs are not purebreds they have been crossed with hounds, bird dogs and bulldogs all through their history, thats how you get the different strains. I am happy with the quality of my dogs and they work for me but that doesnt mean I'm not gonna try to improve them and bird dog blood in them will do that. Dogos in my opinion are useless in the areas I hunt, If you run a silent straight catch dog around here they wont last long due to heat or the damage they would take from hogs on top of that they are very expensive and have a high cull percentage.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Nick Yochum wrote:Doug, You are asuming quite a bit about me and you know what happens when you assume and just because a dog doesnt make a bird dog doesnt mean it wont make a hog dog..
I assume based off of experience.
I hunt a lot with quite a few people and dont see many cur dogs that I feel can improve my dogs doesnt mean their not out there I just havent hunted with them.
Go to a bay contest or I can put you in touch with some Govt hunters that do just fine with Curs, Jagds & Drahthaars.
Curs are not purebreds they have been crossed with hounds, bird dogs and bulldogs all through their history, thats how you get the different strains. I am happy with the quality of my dogs and they work for me but that doesnt mean I'm not gonna try to improve them and bird dog blood in them will do that.
No dog is purebred while its in its forming stage, they NOW breed TO Type and they are a distinct BREED, whether black mouth or catahoula, florida, blue lacy, or mountain cur.

Breeding to any Bird dog cull wont get you anything really, ie less aggression/grit, but a high head in hunting, which curs already have.
You need a little nose, and hogs arent that hard to smell. Leopard Curs are KNOWN for their nose and Cats should suit you fine. You mentioned prior to Jagds wont work, but I know multiple breeds Of Jagds IN Oklahoma, Im happy to PM you kennels. They work their dogs ON Hogs, same as those in Texas, Arkansas, Lousiana.
A good Jagd is plenty fast enoug and gritty enough to stop a hog.

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:32 pm

You dont find many real hog finding dogs around baypens. IMO that is the problem with many curs is that they have been bred for baypen performance. As far as me being to cheap to buy a good dog did you see any where that I have asked to have anything given to me, No you havent. I Would love for you to bring one these great jagds you are talking about and show me.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:04 pm

Nick Yochum wrote:You dont find many real hog finding dogs around baypens. IMO that is the problem with many curs is that they have been bred for baypen performance. As far as me being to cheap to buy a good dog did you see any where that I have asked to have anything given to me, No you havent. I Would love for you to bring one these great jagds you are talking about and show me.
Youre looking for Cull, that implies free, other than shipping, in almost all instances.
You can I both know this to be true.

Far as Jagds go, they are the Gamiest, fanatical, insane, driviest dogs on the planet. There reputation is spreading, unknown 10 years ago.

Videos of Jagds in a hog bay and a real hog hunt for you to observe.

DQ of Jagds in a hog bay contest for too much contact. Typical of the breed. 20 lbs of Lightning
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIshGGIJXSc

Hog Hunting with collar cam strapped to the Jagd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naPbR8Y7QpA

Young Drahthaar stopping/baying a Wild hog, you wont get this with a Pointer, sorry, but then again, a Draht aint free and quality isnt cheap.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eukMoyfiPoQ

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Nick Yochum wrote:You dont find many real hog finding dogs around baypens. IMO that is the problem with many curs is that they have been bred for baypen performance. As far as me being to cheap to buy a good dog did you see any where that I have asked to have anything given to me, No you havent. I Would love for you to bring one these great jagds you are talking about and show me.

Nick,

If you are serious we have Jagds and DD's that are more than capable of hunting hogs, they do it along with upland, waterfowl, small game, big game hunting and also blood tracking 10 months out of the year. No culls though :lol:
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Georgia Boy, I know people use jagds and catch hogs, they just dont work in the terrain I hunt they dont have enough leg keep up in standing wheat or beans. They are super cool dogs though just not my cup of tea, but if you ever get over this way bring one i'd like to see how it does.

Doug, Thank you for helping prove my point. That lil jagd with camera on his back was a lil late getting to that hog, looked like the rcd already had that hog stopped.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 am

Nick Yochum wrote:Georgia Boy, I know people use jagds and catch hogs, they just dont work in the terrain I hunt they dont have enough leg keep up in standing wheat or beans. They are super cool dogs though just not my cup of tea, but if you ever get over this way bring one i'd like to see how it does.

Doug, Thank you for helping prove my point. That lil jagd with camera on his back was a lil late getting to that hog, looked like the rcd already had that hog stopped.
Hog hunters using Jagds, hunt in the same terrain you do, from Texas to California to Oklahoma to Eurasia.
Bean fields, cabbage fields, wheat is the same in Europe as it is here.

Watch again, the Jagd caught the hog the same time as the other dog, with the last Jagd in tow...Jagds have more than enough leg and are all but 1 step (seconds) behind Cat cur dogs, very fast for their size, which also is an advantage for them in the briars.
That hunter & hundreds like him have no issues with the speed of their Jagds.

This successful Hog Hunter uses Jagds (in California) with his Dogos to hunt hogs, and his terrain is much more open than yours, where speed is a necessity. Great Photos.

http://californiacatchers.com/index.asp?ID=15

http://californiacatchers.com/index.asp?ID=23

http://californiacatchers.com/index.asp?ID=29

Again, Quality costs. My request to you is to research and then invest.
Jagds can be had for a $500 or so and are actually built FOR this type of game.

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:27 am

Hog Country California

They put teeth ON fur

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am

Hey Doug Smitty Are you Bill Thomas?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 am

I had those same thougths Josh!! HMMMM??

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:54 am

Elkhunter wrote:Hey Doug Smitty Are you Bill Thomas?
SCORE!!!!
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:03 am

Do you mean that guy that is an expert on everything, yet has no pictures of his own? :lol:

DougSmitty

Post by DougSmitty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 am

brad27 wrote:
Do you mean that guy that is an expert on everything, yet has no pictures of his own? :lol:
You can follow my hunt season on my blog & photo account, and see a few photos too..dont be jealous, its unbecoming.

http://drahthaarhuntingdogs.blogspot.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newkidintown1/page3/

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:05 pm

DougSmitty wrote:
brad27 wrote:
You can follow my hunt season on my blog & photo account, and see a few photos too..dont be jealous, its unbecoming.

Those are the exact same pictures he has posted on numerous topics. Especially the bear and the DD.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:10 pm

DougSmitty wrote:
brad27 wrote:

BS and ignorance are unbecoming.

Bill do you own jagds?

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 pm

DougSmitty wrote:
brad27 wrote:

There's the DD talk I was waiting for. Do you have any new football stories? How's the weather in Ohio? Bayed any polar bears yet with that dog of yours? :lol:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:23 pm

Bill is no longer with us.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Lol, thanks Ezzy. Good catch!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:52 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Bill is no longer with us.

Ezzy
Thank you sir!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:45 pm

How do we know this was the same person? Ip address? Just curious.

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:56 pm

Hey, all - I'm moving this topic over to the GENERAL CHAT forum for those who wish to carry on the "hog dog" conversation - it's gone way off topic in the DOGS FOR SALE forum!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:47 pm

DogNewbie wrote:How do we know this was the same person? Ip address? Just curious.
Photos are a dead give away. Also the "adgenda" he had with every post. That's why I started messing with him in the other thread.

asc

Post by asc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:04 pm

I know what you are though. I have good friends with Great hogs dogs both bay and catch and they don't look for cull dogs for fodder.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:32 pm

Nick Miles wrote:Anyone ever tried Rhodesian Ridgebacks for this type of work? Work pretty well on dangerous game out these parts...
I think and hope that my experience is not normal, but the only ridgeback I've known was such a scaredy-dog that she couldn't go to the bathroom by herself and let herself get her butt handed to her by a cat. :roll:

Had to feed the darn dog in the garage the whole time we dogsat for her, cause the cat wouldn't let her eat!

Nick Yochum

Post by Nick Yochum » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:34 pm

No csc you dont know anything about me. Why would I want a great bird dog to hunt hog? I'm not in to pointing hogs. I stated i wanted a High energy dog that didnt want to point, which makes it as cull as a bird dog. If I wanted "Fodder" as you put it I would get one from the pound, I came here because I know some of the folks on this sight raise quality dogs that have hunting traits would help improve my pack.

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:42 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Nick Yochum wrote:Yea, thats part of hog hunting, I put kevlar vests on the dogs that try to catch to prevent. Any dog cur, brddog, hound, and even bulldogs are gonna get tore up fooling with hogs.
Then it seems obvious that the answer is respect your dogs and don't let them fool with pigs. Sounds very much like dog fighting.

Ezzy

its not dog fighting
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
GOD BLESS

DOGS COULDNT LIVE WITHOUT EM!!
NORTHERN CAJUN

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:02 pm

That's just Ezzy pulling out emotional straws to make out he is more moral than the rest of us.
Hunting with dogs is hunting with dogs and Ezzy wants to be an enemy of that IMO.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 am

dreamerofdreams wrote:
Nick Miles wrote:Anyone ever tried Rhodesian Ridgebacks for this type of work? Work pretty well on dangerous game out these parts...
I think and hope that my experience is not normal, but the only ridgeback I've known was such a scaredy-dog that she couldn't go to the bathroom by herself and let herself get her butt handed to her by a cat. :roll:

Had to feed the darn dog in the garage the whole time we dogsat for her, cause the cat wouldn't let her eat!
Certainly not normal. You guys must have had some whacked out genetics. Or show stock or something. Ridgebacks are totally fearless creatures. There are some suburban twitchy lines about here, but we have some extremely good Ridgeback blood. Your case certainly seems to be the exception rather than the rule for this part of the world. Can't say I'm familiar with US Ridgeback blood though, but at a guess I'd say it's been seriously killed by the show ring out there so I therefore retract my earlier comment.

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:28 am

Nick Miles wrote:
dreamerofdreams wrote:

Certainly not normal. You guys must have had some whacked out genetics. Or show stock or something. Ridgebacks are totally fearless creatures. There are some suburban twitchy lines about here, but we have some extremely good Ridgeback blood. Your case certainly seems to be the exception rather than the rule for this part of the world. Can't say I'm familiar with US Ridgeback blood though, but at a guess I'd say it's been seriously killed by the show ring out there so I therefore retract my earlier comment.
Was just dogsitting for a coworker so I don't know anything about the dog's line. I thought it was highly bizarre!

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:09 am

After looking into Hog Hunting and the peripheral issues, the raging debate about Hog Hunting and the acquisition of a dog leaves me with the following thought.

Generally, Guys (and gals) who hunt or trial their dogs do so because they share a passion for watching the dog work and value the importance of seeing a broke dog come good, to a large degree they love their dogs and what they can do, how they do it, and they value the investment of time into the correct genetics.

It seems Hog Hunters just like harvesting pork - Their dogs are just collateral damage.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 am

Nick Miles wrote:After looking into Hog Hunting and the peripheral issues, the raging debate about Hog Hunting and the acquisition of a dog leaves me with the following thought.

Generally, Guys (and gals) who hunt or trial their dogs do so because they share a passion for watching the dog work and value the importance of seeing a broke dog come good, to a large degree they love their dogs and what they can do, how they do it, and they value the investment of time into the correct genetics.

It seems Hog Hunters just like harvesting pork - Their dogs are just collateral damage.
Broad generalization, but one I seem to tend to agree with.
I can't say that I would partake in a sport where very few dogs live past the age of five.

asc

Post by asc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:35 am

Been around hog hunters and hunted/trapped hogs for 40 years, never seen anyone use a bird dog, BnT's, plotts, curs, pits, etc. but no pointers, I'm sure there is a reason for it.
I don't hogdog because I don't like stitching up and burying dogs, but to each his own. I do run deer with dogs and have lost some due to snake bite but never had a deer cut one up.
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!