Another STF Question

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Another STF Question

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:30 am

\ How do you handle the dog after the stop to flush. If the dog is 100 yds off, stops to flush,you blank the bird, what then, call him in, go to him and heel him off or just send him on from where you are ( my choice if he doesn't delay chase) CJ

Doc E

Re: Another STF Question

Post by Doc E » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:38 am

I wouldn't want a dog flushing at 100 yards.
When training STF, you need to be within "gun range" when the flush occurs.

When the dog does STF, some folks will "remote send" the dog -- many (including me)
will walk to the dog and then send. This will result in improved steadiness.

Doc E & HR UH MHR WR SR Black Forest Casey
and
Nami E & HRCH UH HR Sauk River Tucker

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:57 am

is he 100 yrds off because he chased? I'd only be blanking birds he did NOT chase.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:21 am

I probably would walk to the dog ,fire and send him on. No need to fire from a distance. You could start going in his direction and just send him on if you were 100% sure he would not delay chase but I prefer not to do this.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:31 am

I would fire from where I'm at. Walk to the dog and heal off. I like the heal off to avoid a delayed chase. We're doing invitational work at this time. Test requirements, a STF is blanked or the bird is shot if gunners are close enough. All manners should be in order. Of coarse if the bird is shot the retrieve is to be made.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:18 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:I would fire from where I'm at. Walk to the dog and heal off. I like the heal off to avoid a delayed chase. We're doing invitational work at this time. Test requirements, a STF is blanked or the bird is shot if gunners are close enough. All manners should be in order. Of coarse if the bird is shot the retrieve is to be made.
* +1

I also take my time getting to the his and blank again in training.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Doc E wrote:I wouldn't want a dog flushing at 100 yards.
When training STF, you need to be within "gun range" when the flush occurs.

When the dog does STF, some folks will "remote send" the dog -- many (including me)
will walk to the dog and then send. This will result in improved steadiness.

How do you know when the flush is going to occur so you can be within gun range. If your dog only hunts in gun range he may get DQ'd by some judges for not being bold and independent.
I too would not want the accidental flush at a hundred yards, but thats why it's called accidental, if that is the dogs range it could happen. He is obviously not at 100 yds because he chased or he would be done. I would rather accidental flushes never happened. The rules say nothing about being within gun range. In a master test a bird in the air means stop on his own with no command that is all that matters you must fire the blank gun only once. Distance between you and the dog is irrevalent. Junior you need to be in gun rangeon a point, I guess. CJ

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:31 pm

Jerry,

In a MH/HT situation, the best possible scenario is the dog stops, you fire, and then go to the dog. A delayed shot isn't really what the test is looking for. That would be similar to a delayed shot after YOU flush the bird.

I just don't happen to agree with a shot at the STF anyway...why are we doing it? Some say it's a reward for the dog. Really? The others believe the retrieve is the reward. I've seen dogs where he could not care less about the retrieve...how is it that a reward?

I just don't get this shot with STF thing...replicate hunting? How? Let's say you and I are walking across the ND prairie. I'm a poor sob, and I can only afford an H&R Topper...single shot....so the dog is on the move, a bird goes up, dogs stops. I'm supposed to shoot? And then the only brood blows up and I'm standing there with an empty gun? What?

I think the answer lies in some competition scenario in which a dog has bird contact, and needs to be fired over in order for that piece of bird work to count. But I don't think any AKC game would allow a dog to be considered in contention on a STF and a shot. They need to have a FIND.

But, the rules are what they are, and I'll judge how the AKC desires. In a MH the blank after an STF is a demonstration in the trainability area. Still doesn't answer why though.
Dan