Dog Naming?

FullExposureOutdoors

Dog Naming?

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:08 am

I've always wanted to name my dog's after my own kennel. Whether or not I'm going to breed and raise dogs doesn't seem like an issue to me. Even if I only keep these two dogs and use them for Hunt Test, Guiding, and Personal Trips I still always wanted to name my kennel.

My planned kennel name is Heartland Prairie Pointers!

When I name my dog through AKC can I name them:
HP Pointers Tobias de Zeus - Toby (Is my dogs short name.)
HP Pointers Russell de Zeus - Rusty (Is my dogs short name.)

The de Zeus is just an Homage to the father of both pups. Zeus is the fathers short name and I thought it sounded cool. Both puppies come from a nice pedigree with a lot of Master Hunters and Champions. I'm finally getting the dogs AKC Registered and DNA Tested and want to make a good decision on dog naming and really treating the dogs like part of the family.

Would like everyone's input. Thanks.

Korey

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog Naming?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:15 am

You cannot use the breed in the name of the animal in AKC, as far as I know. Heartkand Prairie Tobias de Zeus would be the way to go.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:52 am

Cajun Casey wrote:You cannot use the breed in the name of the animal in AKC, as far as I know. Heartkand Prairie Tobias de Zeus would be the way to go.

Nice that sounds better anyways. Thanks for the tip.

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:32 pm

As I understand it, French Brittanies have even more confining guidelines. All puppies born in a given year are named with the same starting letter and should be french followed by "de" and the kennel/breeder name (call name can be anything, but registered name should be consistent). Hence, my Momo is actually Ferrique de Le Bois (translation: Magic of the Trees). The letter that year was F. Magic is the mothers call name (and Momo looks just like her mother so Ferrique worked out nicely) and Le Bois Brittanys is the Kennel name.
Obviously not required by AKC (since French are not distinquished from American Brittany), but the tradition is usually respected.

FullExposureOutdoors

Post by FullExposureOutdoors » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:44 pm

That's pretty neat actually. I looked all over the internet for some guidelines on how to name the dog but couldn't find anything. I like what I came up with though.

Heartland Prairie's Tobias de Zeus
Heartland Prairie's Russell de Zeus

Kind of weird that there is only one Latin word but looks better than just putting from, lol!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:51 pm

I recently found out you can't use gender either in the name. Had a puppy buyer that wanted to name his pup Woodland's Junk Male (call name Newman). Thought that was really cute! But it got kicked back by AKC. Wound up calling him Woodland's Going Postal.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am

I don't know how perfectly this works, but you can type a name in here to see if it's valid, and there are some rules on this page too.

http://www.akc.org/reg/namingofdog.cfm