New GSP Pup -- NAVHDA vs Hunt Tests

Muygrande

New GSP Pup -- NAVHDA vs Hunt Tests

Post by Muygrande » Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:40 pm

I am looking at new GSP pups and have an interest in a more versatile type hunting dog and would love to try NAVHDA testing. I have experience with AKC field trials but virtually no experience with NAVHDA or AKC Hunt Tests. For those that run in both venues how would you compare the requirements/difficulty of achieving a UT Prize I versus a Master Hunter. I'm familiar with the written requirements but haven't seen both in person. Also, how do you interpret the results of a dog that was very successful in hunt tests but failed to achieve a UT or got a prize 3. Not trying to stir any pots but I would really appreciate any knowledge that can be shared on this thread. Thanks.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: New GSP Pup -- NAVHDA vs Hunt Tests

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Field work requirements between the two are similar. AKC you run in a brace with another dog, NAVHDA you run by yourself. Dog is expected to be steady to wing, shot, fall, until released for the retrieve. Retrieve must be to hand. AKC your dog is expected to readily back the pointing dog and remain steady through the other dog's retrieve of a shot bird. In AKC, if your dog doesn't get an opportunity to retrieve a shot bird in the field, you'll get a call back if you had a clean run. In NAVHDA, there are no callbacks.

With NAVHDA you have water work and additional steadiness being evauated as well. I highly suggest you download a copy of NAVHDA's Test Rules pamphlet as well as an AKC Hunt Test rules book to be able to reference the differences. You can also visit each test to watch the dogs run.

Jay
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com