Doubts about your dogs potential?..

SHORTFAT

Doubts about your dogs potential?..

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 am

Do any of you ever have any doubts about your dogs potential?.. I'm talking about those moments that make you stop and scratch your chin... :? Sometimes I do, but it always seems that she gets it after a while... still having trouble with those doggone grouse flushing tho... Anyway... at least I ain't THIS guy... :mrgreen:

http://www.wimp.com/raccoonbeagle/
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Doubts about your dogs potential?..

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:47 am

No more than they occassionally wonder about me.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:56 am

They all have holes, the best the holes are hard to find, some of the others you could drive a truck thru....and sometimes the holes are because of us.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:08 am

Until I see a young dog on wild game, I try to reserve judgement. I nearly sold one of the best dogs I ever owned when she was 16-18 months old but my wife convinced me to take her west. What she showed me in October that year convinced me it would be a big mistake to let her go. Sometimes they mature a little later...sometimes you have to look at the whole "package"...its easy to nit pick.

Kiki

Post by Kiki » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:01 pm

For a while I used to blame my dog and her breeding for any short comings. However I'm begining to realize that my lack of experience is her biggest down fall. Luckily for the both of us we have this forum.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:13 pm

Most mistakes made in the field are my mistakes. After 10+ years training dogs I finally came to the conclusion that I need to take what they give me. When I started doing that the whole chemistry changed (for the good) between the dogs and me. It seems like the pressure lifted off both the dogs and me.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:58 am

If it was easy to recognise talent and train the best into them, we'd all be running HOF multiple champions and hunting machines that don't put a foot wrong, and then what a boring pursuit this would be.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 am

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:Most mistakes made in the field are my mistakes. After 10+ years training dogs I finally came to the conclusion that I need to take what they give me. When I started doing that the whole chemistry changed (for the good) between the dogs and me. It seems like the pressure lifted off both the dogs and me.
I like that... It seems that just when I'm to the point of resigning myself that she will never progress, she seems to suprise me... I have to remember what I am working with too... she is a pet that I hunt with 5 months or so in the fall & winter... I have to check my frustrations because at the very least, she has a desire to please... I am beginning to think that the grouse are mocking me tho... :evil:
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln