What do you do leading up to a trial/test

pointshootretrieve

What do you do leading up to a trial/test

Post by pointshootretrieve » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 pm

What type of routines and or rituals do you follow the week leading up to a test or trial? Just exercise, training, light, heavy, etc?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: What do you do leading up to a trial/test

Post by shags » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:09 pm

Depends on the dog...some do better going in fresh, and others need tuneups pretty much continually until Go Time :mrgreen:

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm

For me it is conditioning. If it is a 1/2 hr stake I try to build up to 1 hr. runs and 1/2 hr. roading. If possible I try to duplicate trial conditions (hard to do with no horses) but work my dogs on birds planted around a 1/2 hr. course. Three or four days before the trial, I stop the conditioning (running) and bird work. I want them to hit the course excited about finally getting back out to run and find birds.

this may not be the best way but it is what I do. :)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:45 pm

I like to drink a lot of whiskey and chase sleazy :mrgreen: women!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:05 pm

Give her a beer or two. She appreciates the relaxation. The morning of or before I send her off I just tell her she is a winner and only winners can sleep in the house. We have an understanding.

Hunt tests I want her to run a 1/2 hour before I put her on the ground. Field trials she gets the morning off.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:49 pm

I'm running a dog in an AFTCA Ch. this weekend.

The last day I roaded was Sunday, 1:20. Monday I planted some hen phez around the place and run him around, worked those birds and shot them. Wednesday he free ran for 60 at a training area that I can go horseback at. And today, and phez around the place (4), but today shot the 1st and 3rd bird, blanked the 2nd and 4th.

Have drawn 5th brace tomorrow (Friday)...should be about 3pm, dry, sunny, temps around 66-68 degrees.
Dan

SCT

Post by SCT » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:37 pm

Good luck Wyn,

I'm hoping to run my male in a derby next weekend. Going to WY to hunt sage grouse for the opener Saturday. If he's in good shape after the hunt I'll take him out to the field and run him for 1 hour on Wednesday and the trial is two days later. I don't have horses either and it's a horseback stake so I'll run him off the 4 wheeler. I won't do bird work with him on Wednesday because I hate pen raised birds and it's a wild bird stake. I've had him into wild grouse about 8 days so far this summer so he should do well on any finds he might have. He's ahead of the game around here being steady to wing at 18 months old.

Steve

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 pm

DonF wrote:I like to drink a lot of whiskey and chase sleazy :mrgreen: women!
Like I said, I may not have the best way. Sounds like you have hit on it!

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:09 pm

Depends on the trial - if it's an "A" trial meaning one we really wanna be on our game (and win!!) I don't do much of anything during the week prior. All the conditioning/training/etc. had better long be in place - if yer worried about condition or training in the week prior to a big "goal" trial you ought not be entered IMO. There is nothing to be accomplished really in the week prior, they're not going to improve their conditioning nor significantly improve their game, and only bad things generally happen, particularly injuries. The week before a big trial is about rest and not letting 'em do anything stupid to get injured.

If it's more of a social trial deal, one I'm going to more for my enjoyment than to challenge my dogs, I just keep on working 'em as always incorporating the trial outing into their workouts.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:12 pm

DGFavor wrote:Depends on the trial - if it's an "A" trial meaning one we really wanna be on our game (and win!!) I don't do much of anything during the week prior. All the conditioning/training/etc. had better long be in place - if yer worried about condition or training in the week prior to a big "goal" trial you ought not be entered IMO. There is nothing to be accomplished really in the week prior, they're not going to improve their conditioning nor significantly improve their game, and only bad things generally happen, particularly injuries. The week before a big trial is about rest and not letting 'em do anything stupid to get injured.

If it's more of a social trial deal, one I'm going to more for my enjoyment than to challenge my dogs, I just keep on working 'em as always incorporating the trial outing into their workouts.
The best one yet.

Since the OP is for a Derby.... You will need a drink when its over. the train wrecks are funny, but not when its your dog.