Umbilical Hernia Questions?

bigbob

Umbilical Hernia Questions?

Post by bigbob » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 pm

I have a 10 week old gsp female that has a small umbilical hernia. I bought the pup from a breeder. He is a very reputable breeder with outstanding pups, but I won't mention his name out of consideration for him. The breeder will pay for the repair. The hernia is about 1/4" or so in length, and has a small bubble that I can push back in when it is out. It comes out when she runs, plays hard, etc.

I talked to a couple of vets that I like in the area. One said it will never close on its own and that I could do the surgery now or wait until 4-6 months of age and have it done then. They said not to touch it, but to watch it and if it gets bigger or causes pain, then bring her in and fix it sooner.

The other vet said to leave it until 4-6 months of age and that it may close on its own. They said to push it in anytime it is out and I'm with her. They also said that if it gets bigger, causes pain, or has other changes to come fix it immediately.

What are your thoughts? They both said that the surgery was common, quick, and safe. They also said that the pup would need to be kenneled to limit activity (how do you limit the activity of a 10 week old pup...not gonna happen even in a kennel!) for about 10-14 days.

From those of you with experience with this, when should I get it done? Should I do it now, when she should be out exploring the world, building prey drive, gaining confidence, independence, boldness, etc., and kennel her for 2 weeks, or should I do it at 4-6 months of age (if it is still there) when we would be hitting the high country seeking out wild chukars and other wild birds?

Also, do you know how common it is for these to close on their own?

I should mention that I have another pup, similar in age, and they roughhouse quite a bit as all pups do (which makes the inactivity more difficult unless she's more isolated).

Let's hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by bigbob on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Umbilical Hernia Opinions?

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:48 pm

I had a seven pound Pekingese spayed and a similar hernia repaired at the same time. She was up fighting with the bird dog boys the next day. Two weeks for a minor repair like that seems excessive. I'd just get it done and put some vet wrap on her when she's out.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:00 pm

I had a pup years ago that got one. Fixed her up in no time. Its one of the many things that can happen to a pup.
Steve

Munster

Re: Umbilical Hernia Questions?

Post by Munster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:34 am

Classic case of asking to many people and getting so many answers that you dont know what to do.

I have seen them heal themselves, especially if it is as small as you say. I have heard of them not healing themselves.
But I do believe that pushing it in and out probably isnt a good idea.
Dont think you have to worry about the surgery. My pup ate a fishing hook and had to have it removed from her guts. She never thought anything was wrong with her. She was running around( I should have kept her quieter) with in a couple days.
Good luck with the pup
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:43 am

SetterNut wrote:...Its one of the many things that can happen to a pup.
Agreed. I have a 14 yr old male GSP that has one to this day. He had it as a pup and I heard everything (to a tee) that you stated. It began as the size of a dime and it is not any bigger than a nickel, 14 years later. I chose to nothing but watch it, massage it when petting him (does nothing but let me keep track of size) and carry on. If I would have had him fixed, I would have had it closed up at that time. He has lived a long life with it. Sired 3 litters with no history of them reoccurring (some say it is hereditary some say it is the nature of mommy biting to close to the cord). It NEVER slowed his hunts down, he is a NSTRA CH, etc...

In a nutshell if I was you I would not worry about it and when/if you say her, have it done then. If you do not spay her, you can decide when you want it done.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:18 am

I agree with the 2nd vet.

Montana

Post by Montana » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:06 pm

What you are seeing in your pup is not a true hernia.....more than likely it's a delayed closure of the umbilical ring and is quite common. If it is only 1/4" in diameter, it will close on it's on as the dog matures. I've bred dogs for about 25 years now and see these fairly often... I don't see them in every litter, but I've seen quite a few over the years and none have ever required surgery.

Here's a link you might want to take a look at that describes what I'm guessing you are seeing in your pup.
http://www.showdogsupersite.com/kenlclu ... lical.html

P.S. I'd fire your first vet. :wink:

dreamerofdreams

Post by dreamerofdreams » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:23 pm

There are always risks with anesthesia and surgeries.

I'm fairly sure that it was a reaction to the anesthesia and not the surgery, so take this with a grain of salt, but I was 9 at the time and it made a big impression. Sent a kitten in with a similar hernia issue and she did not come home.

Like I said, probably an individual reaction to the anesthesia.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Leave it alone. There is a good chance that it will close on its own in the next few months. If it doesn't, you can have the surgery then. Or not.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

aeast8

Post by aeast8 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:20 pm

I would hold off on the surgery. My GSP pup had one about the same size. My vet told me to watch it and if it got any worse then we could do surgery but most likely it would heal itself. He was right. It went away but he still has a small hole there.