Formula Question?

Onk

Formula Question?

Post by Onk » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:22 am

I feed a 26/19 formula as my year around food right now. During fall when training increases and hunting gets going should I change formula's? Choices I have in the brand I feed are 31/20, 24/20 and the 26/19. Not sure I understand the Protein/Fat thing like I should. Been told to increase both during hunting season for faster recovery, does this sound right?

Please don't turn this into a dog food battle, just keep it about the Protein/Fat issue. Thanks
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Formula Question?

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:26 am

We don't change food, just up the amount and maybe add a little thawed frozen BilJac when they are really working.
Last edited by Cajun Casey on Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 am

Just like a food battle you are gonna get a % battle I would imagine, because there are almost equal groups that do it both ways. I am not going to change feeds, but like Casey said just feed some more.

Corry

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:46 am

The people who think they need to change forget that the amount of feed the dog eats is what changes the amount of protein and fat the dog consumes. By simply increasing the amount of feed you are providing more of each and that is what the dog needs.

So many times you read that someone changes to a higher percent fat and protein nut decrease the amount they feed because the feed is better. In actuality they negate the whole purpose when they feed less. Instead of judging the amount by what is written on the bag you need to remember all that counts is how much the dog consumes. So in fact, you often are feeding more by increasing the total amount of the lower protein feed instead of switching to a higher percentage and feeding the same amount or even less.

I think you will find a much larger group of professionals DO NOT switch and there is a reason. Dogs do better by staying on the same feed they are use to.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:17 pm

+1 add more food.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:27 pm

ultracarry wrote:+1 add more food.
Yup....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Might want to add that a half a cup or a cup (measured) doesn't seem like a lot but it is. If you add too much you will know by gas and the stool. You only need to give what they can and will use. The rest is waste... Literally.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:39 pm

I free feed my dogs and they get a 30/20 ration year round.

They do tend to eat less in the warmer months and more when they are working.

I see no reason to switch and several reasons not to.

When I had one or two dogs and was hunting them four and five days a week, I would supplement their food with raw beef fat. I cut it up and froze it in 1/4# baggies. I would mix a portion of dogfood in hot water and stir in one thawed baggie per dog. I don't care how tired the dog was, they found the energy to eat every drop. If they kept on losing weight, I wold keep giving them a portion of fat with succeessive feedings.

RayG

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:26 pm

i feed MORE of same food.i also fry up hamburger/rice and put in frig and add it to his regular food.
i buy real fatty hamburg.

crewzm

Post by crewzm » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 pm

Breast Milk is best. Sorry couldn't resist

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:13 pm

crewzm wrote:Breast Milk is best. Sorry couldn't resist

I seem to have my answer to the question....except for the above response! Incomplete answer, what kind of breast milk? duh! :lol:
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"