Now That's a Trial Dog

Grange

Now That's a Trial Dog

Post by Grange » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:46 pm

I took my dogs into the woods this afternoon. I decided to leave the gun at home and just bring the blank pistol since I've got birds in the freezer from this past weekend. My setter usually takes a big initial cast or two and on the second big cast I heard the bell stop.

At this distance I've got to stop and listen closely in order to hear the bell. With her being out front I just walked toward the direction I last heard the bell.

After a long walk I found my setter on point. It's a bad picture, but it was my taken with my mobile phone.

I went into flush, but didn't find the bird so I relocated her. She went on a second point probably about 50 yards from the initial point. The problem was I couldn't find her. This is the kind of cover I was trying to bust through to find her.

I was making so much noise and busting so much brush I figured I caused the bird to flush. That is when I found her again.

Again figuring I moved the bird I decided to try and relocate her again. She took off and went on point again probably about 50 yards away. This time I found her easily as it wasn't as thick.

I worked the area in front of her and flushed a grouse.

In the hour we were out I found three more coveys with one being pointed by my setter though they were substantially shorter points (about 60 and 90 yards) and one being flushed by my lab.

CowboyBirdDogs

Re: Now That's a Trial Dog

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Thats awesome! Seems like some pretty thick stuff to hunt.

jeff gruennert

Post by jeff gruennert » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Grange are there any grouse trials in augusta this fall. I have a cabin in Ladysmith and would like to come down and check it out

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 am

Yes. The WI Championship starts on either Oct. 2 or Oct. 3.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:04 am

Nice. Out of interest, what is considered good range out there? I notice 305yds (or m? can't see)

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:21 am

305 yards is a long way in that cover no doubt. You've got to be able to trust your dog to be honest with birds because it can take a while to bust through the cover to get to the dog. A good range depends on who is handling the dog. One of my hunting partners prefers his dogs closer (somewhere around 75 yards or closer). I prefer a bigger going dog, but 300+ yards on a consistent basis in that cover would be too big for me.