Llewellin or Britt ?

Francois P vd Walt

Llewellin or Britt ?

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 pm

I have a choice of these two breeds, what are the breed standard problems with these two breeds, and if you had to choose which one and why ? I do not know anything on these two breeds I have GSP's ....

Ghosted3

Re: Llewellin or Britt ?

Post by Ghosted3 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 am

I would go for a Brit., for me (between those 2 breeds) it would be a little more for the looks and size of the Brit.. I am not sure, so someone please chime in if I am incorrect, but I think Brits are also a bit more versatile than Llewllins are, but like I said I could be wrong. I dont know a lot about either of the breeds. I am more of an ESS guy :D

Corry

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 am

A fair jump Francois? Why? Certainly in a South African context. They don't have a lot to choose from and there are far more good GSP's and EP's about there than Llewellyns or Brits. Irish Setters have better genetics in South Africa than those two IMO. Where/Who would you get a dog from?

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:21 am

There are good dog's in both of the breeds mentioned; saying that I think it will come down to personal difference. :)

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 am

Nick Miles wrote:A fair jump Francois? Why? Certainly in a South African context. They don't have a lot to choose from and there are far more good GSP's and EP's about there than Llewellyns or Brits. Irish Setters have better genetics in South Africa than those two IMO. Where/Who would you get a dog from?
Nic there are some pups coming with two bithces in the Cape one and JHB area another, settersvare being bred from PE I would like to see parents first. Imported from USA will check pedigree ...

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:15 am

Francois P vd Walt wrote:
Nick Miles wrote:A fair jump Francois? Why? Certainly in a South African context. They don't have a lot to choose from and there are far more good GSP's and EP's about there than Llewellyns or Brits. Irish Setters have better genetics in South Africa than those two IMO. Where/Who would you get a dog from?
Nic there are some pups coming with two bithces in the Cape one and JHB area another, settersvare being bred from PE I would like to see parents first. Imported from USA will check pedigree ...
I know most of the working Brits in the Cape. And if it's the Setter I'm thinking of in PE, it's pretty good. Not sure how setters go up your part of the world, but know they are effective in the E Cape. What made you change from GSP's and look at Setters?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:41 am

Don't know what you have for junk that get's caught in the hair but, setters can have a lot more hair than Britt's, but Britt's have their share. I've only worked with a few of each breed sand I believe the Britt's come on faster but the setter's show point sooner. Probably not true all the time. I'd suggest that you get either, you also get a set of clipper's to keep the hair under control.

I have two of my own setter's now and another Red coming. But for ease of maintenance and quick training and forgiving mistakes, you can't beat a shorthair.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:37 pm

Go for the class and horse power and get the setter. :D
Steve

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Steve horse power ......

Unfortuntly I ave not seen any of that in S. Africa with the feedback I had on this forum I think I will stay with my GSP's at least I know what I have in them. Thank you to all the replies guys.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 pm

I have never owned a Britt, but am on my third Setter. I will tell you that every one of my Setters has been quarky. It seems like that's what sets them apart, that's their saving grace. They really are unique in their personality. And they're just so tender-hearted. Cinna, for example, will melt in my arms and has such a energy of, well, tenderness, that you just want to wrap her up and rock her even, while you love on her. At the same time, though, she'll be the first to break a Whoa if she thinks she can get by with it. She's the sharpest dog on point that I've ever owned, but if she thinks she can catch that bird she'll be the first to break. I personally don't see how anyone can keep a dog in a kennel permanently - any dog - but where most dogs "want" to be with you, it seems like Setters "need" to be with you. They really are an experience to own and train and I'd darned near guarantee that if you ever own one, even if you decide they're not THE breed for you, you'll always have a special spot in your heart for them. I love riding down the road with Moxy or any dog in the cab, with their head on my lap. The difference is, sometimes I put them all up and Cinna and I take a ride just to spend some one-on-one time together. They are special dogs.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

frosso

Post by frosso » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 am

Stoneface is right about setters. I'm not an experienced bird dog person. I've had retrievers as pets up until I got my llew for hunting. She is the quirkiest dog ever but I am more attached to her than any dog I've ever had. She is wide open and getting into trouble most of the time but then she'll climb up in the chair with me and be the sweetest thing. And on point .......she takes your breath away.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:10 am

I love britts. They are great dogs and the ones I know well are great in the woods on grouse and woodcock and very good in the fields for pheasant. Some run huge and fast while another is more of a medium range and very persistent. I've seen them compete sucessfully in trials against all other breeds and out bird other breeds while hunting. They are family friendly and are good in the house. All that said I love a crack'n tail when running and high tail when on point.
Last edited by Grange on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:31 pm

I have owned and hunted plus breed both breeds but I now own and breed llewellins the feed back I get is a lot better from the llewellin puppys I have sold . Every one talks about how in the house they are so lade back then the monent you turn them loose in the field they wont to please and point reterive plus back . My llewellins have been much easer to train than my Brit. were .I will have a litter Oct 5.

Fester

Post by Fester » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes llewellins here and I have had both, I have 5 llewellins now, I started with the Bondhu type dogs and they were OK great noses not all were as athletic as I would like, now I lean toward Blizzard and Bomber dogs much like the ones you saw in the Moulder Farm post, very fast and very smart and heat tolerant, I notice some Adams Spur and Chessie in the pedigree that was a fantastic pair that turned out some very athletic dogs
Fester

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:36 pm

Francois P vd Walt wrote:Steve horse power ......

Unfortuntly I ave not seen any of that in S. Africa with the feedback I had on this forum I think I will stay with my GSP's at least I know what I have in them. Thank you to all the replies guys.
Nothing wrong with staying with something you know and have had success with.
This site is pretty heavy with GSP owners, so there should be plenty of leads for good GSP dogs and pups.

Britt are nice dogs, but Setters are in class of thier own :D And yes I am biased
Steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:53 pm

SetterNut wrote:
Francois P vd Walt wrote:Steve horse power ......

Nothing wrong with staying with something you know and have had success with.
This site is pretty heavy with GSP owners, so there should be plenty of leads for good GSP dogs and pups.

Britt are nice dogs, but Setters are in class of thier own :D And yes I am biased
I have had both and like the Brits for all around dogs but anyone that knows much about both breeds will have to admit they are both just as good as the other and it all comes down to personnal opinion.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:42 am

I suggest you get one of each and post back in a year or so to let us know how it went. Just kidding. I am a Llewellin owner and agree with just about everything that has been said about them here. I wouldn't have believed or said it until I got my own, but I believe the true Llewellin has the hunting instinct built in. I have a male and female (siblings) Llewellin. The two are very different in size and personality. The female was hunting by 6 months and we didn't train her much, the pointing was just instict for her. Our male took a little longer and is looking great this year at 1 1/2 yrs old. Their points are beautiful and you will fall in love with them. They are great hunters but always love to be with people too. Note- the other post was correct...they have beautiful coats and it is hard to keep the burs and such out of them. Good luck with whatever you choose.