Pre-season pics, anyone?

Stoneface

Pre-season pics, anyone?

Post by Stoneface » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:43 pm

You can feel the edge of summer leaving or gone, depending on what part of the country you're in. You can tell by the goose bumps on your arm that it's "THAT" time of year. So, what have you all been doing for it? Anyone have any photos of training they're doing to cram for bird/trial/test season? What are you plans for this season?

I just got in from working the girls and they're doing awesome. So proud of them both. Moxy is holding high and tight on her birds and today performed a clean stop-to-flush on two different occasions, beautifully, and Cinna threw up a clean back. Turns out she's a natural. Next Sunday will be the first trial of the season. A friend is putting it on so I'm heading out to run Moxy in the Amateur Shooting Dog (basically a remedial stake, based on how most people word it, but I really like it). I'm going to run her in walking Gun Dog and Amateur Shooting Dog stakes this year. I'm going to shoot a bird for her in the next couple weeks and if she shows a willingness to retrieve like when she was a pup I'll run her in some hunt tests if I can manage. More importantly, though, is that we should have plenty of chances to see plenty of birds in this are this year, so the girls will get plenty of contact with wild birds.

Here are some photos from the last couple training session.

http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/oo27 ... d43dd9.png

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9881_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8336_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8451_n.jpg
Steady drill. Can you see the bird between her legs?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=426086497427118
Here's a video of Cinna with the bird between her legs. Just couldn't not get this on film. Cracked me up.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Pre-season pics, anyone?

Post by ultracarry » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:21 pm

Being paid for training makes you ineligible for amateur stakes.... BTW. But then again it didn't stop you in the past so why would this season be any different.....

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 pm

We've been out a few times for some tuneup sessions on some local wild birds. Took the camera along the one time and snapped a number of pics. These are the best of them. Hopefully it was enough to be sharp for the season debut on Saturday!

Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Ultra, talking about something you don't know about makes you as ignorant as you usually sound.... BTW. But then again it didn't stop you in the past so why would this be any different.....

Phez, where'd you get that dog from? How's he bred? Looks like a big'n!
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:12 pm

Stoneface wrote:Ultra, talking about something you don't know about makes you as ignorant as you usually sound.... BTW. But then again it didn't stop you in the past so why would this be any different.....

8)

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:25 pm

Pre-season is over for me at least for hunting. Bird hunting started last weekend. My first trial of the fall is this weekend and I had a short training session this afternoon. I would have stayed out there longer, but rain cut us short and also stopped me from taking any pictures. I did have three points and flawless bird work with each before we quit. Right now I've got three trials planned with the first being a planted bird and the other two being cover dog. I may add in a fourth trial (cover dog) which is in MI next weekend, but I have to make sure my training partner still wants to go.

As far as pictures I posted a series of three points (2 were relocates) on a ruffed grouse from yesterday in a separate thread.

Here is a picture from a training session earlier this month.

This is a point that put my first grouse in the game bag this season.

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Stoneface - Cash is out of Almost Heaven GSP's out in West Virginia. Bruce (AHGSP) is the breeder and on this board. Couldn't be happier with him. He fluctuates between 65 and 67 pounds depending on the point in the season/offseason. Cash, that is, not Bruce ;). His pedigree is at the bottom of my posts.
Almost Heaven's Daddy's Paycheck - "Cash"

"In the end, our society will be defined not by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy."
- John Sawhill

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:36 pm

Good looking better you have there. I love the Grouse Ridge stuff.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 pm

Stoneface wrote:Ultra, talking about something you don't know about makes you as ignorant as you usually sound.... BTW. But then again it didn't stop you in the past so why would this be any different.....

I'm lost :?
https://sites.google.com/site/stonefacedogs/home
http://gundogdirectory.com/listing.php?id=1641

You're not a pro?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:30 pm

brad27 wrote:

I'm lost :?
https://sites.google.com/site/stonefacedogs/home
http://gundogdirectory.com/listing.php?id=1641

You're not a pro?
Not if he wants to run Amateur stakes.
:roll:
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:41 pm

Well unless the person who runs a website under your same screen name, has your dog, and charges $400.00 a month for training and "aims to please" is not you.... I guess Im wrong. Sorry.

But seeing as though I did not get a GED I may not see something. :) your a "dog trainer" . Live up to it, live your dream, be all you can be, embrace it and you will be fine. Denying it so you can compete against us no pro trainer types is low.....

gregm

Post by gregm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Here in oregen the odfw has a pre-season put and take at a couple wildlife areas. Ready for the opener in a couple weeks.Everyone have a great and safe season. Looking forward to photos,reports and success storys.
Photo09191440_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:32 pm

All fine looking dogs!! But then I haven't seen many bird dogs that I didn't think were fine looking, regardless of the breed. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:48 am

Brad, I did advertise for dog training and put it on the site because I have the grounds, equipment and means and would have liked to have trained some dogs, but I didn't push it all that hard - some flyers posted in the area and such - but never did get any takers for birddog training. I did get a few folks who needed some help with obedience and/or behavior, but most of the time I just end up helping someone for free because the owner doesn't want to pay and I hate the thought of letting the pup have a rough time because the owner is a bum. Dog training would be so much more enjoyable if it weren't for some of the people! I'm in school and working full-time and am looking hard at graduate school. When I started it I never intended to be a life-long pro, but would like to take on a dog or two every once in awhile. School has gotten too much (18 hours this semester), plus 50 hours at work so I've scaled it back.

Some people on this board who run their mouth too much won't listen when you tell them something point blank, but since I've not trained any birddogs for income I'm totally eligible to run in any amateur stakes I would like. I've already called AKC and have spoken to the American Field and no one has an issue with it. I did the same before the last trial of last season, on 3/31-4/1, and AKC gave me the green light and said as long as I've not touched any birddogs for compensation I'm fine.

Ultra, since you're so big on bashing people on the board and know so, so much about dog training and are not "low," I was wondering what your background in dog training is? I mean, even though I've tried to be cordial to you as much as possible on this site and have never said the first cross word, you keep after me. Just out of curiosity, are you a legitimate birddoggers who has years in the world of birddogs under you and plenty of experience to back you up, or are you one of these internet warriors who gets online and talks out of your @** like you know what you're talking about even though you've paid someone to do all your training, are on your first dog and the only thing you really have any experience at is trying to sound like you know what you're talking about? Just curious.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 am

I don't try to be a pro so why does it matter? I refer people to pros all the time and know who I am.sending them to. I don't need to tell you my background (i believe I told.you this in a PM a while ago) . If you think i paid someone to do all the work with my dog you are sadly mistaken.

I'll give you a hint on how much time I spent with a pro. Way more than you.

Sounds like you are making a good story for yourself. Would you rather go to a trial and enter in open shooting dog.or open gun dog and win against those you consider professionals like yourself, or enter against those weekend warriors? After all you were putting yourself out there like a professional trainer or do you not consider yourself one because no one wanted to pay you (but you did still work.with the dog) I know I can compete in any stake, and on any day my dog can win, not sure why since you put yourself out as a professional it limits your ability to only run in amateur stakes.

Congrats on grad school and working.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:24 am

So, in other words, the only thing you won't run your mouth about all day long is how much experience you have? Well, the only feasible conclusion would be that you have none. So, just a word for the road, just because you have an opinion - especially if you don't know what you're talking about - doesn't make you right. Just because you've spent time with a pro and pay him to train your dog doesn't mean you know, in black and white, if someone doesn't know what they're talking about or not. One of my best friends is a computer programmer, but that doesn't make me a computer expert and I couldn't even tell you what a gigabyte is. On the same note, I paid a auto mechanic to overhaul my transmission in February, but that doesn't mean I can go around telling other mechanics they're good or bad at what they do. You've never met me, you don't know me, you saw some videos I posted online and they're not what you're used to. Sorry, but, last I checked there is more than one way to skin just about any cat. We just have different ways.

I would say, without knowing much about you, that it's pretty safe to say that you - and most people on this board - have been around a pro longer than I have. I prefer to get out there, do it and learn something rather than have someone else do it for me. Not knocking it. Send your dog to a trainer if you want, I never will and never have. And, just FYI, a lot of trainers are backwoods PR experts. The guy you see at the end of the check cord when you're around and the guy you talk to when you go visit your dog is often times NOT the same guy as when you're not around. A lot of them are like lawyers, and you're just another client. Just because you know a pro doesn't mean you are one.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:29 am

Ultra, I don't like this. I don't like to argue, I don't like to fight. I make a point, daily, to be non-confrontational and non-argumentative. I do not believe in belligerence. If you're willing to drop this, so am I.
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:03 am

Whatever you want stoneface. BTW you are still wrong.

And this doesn't have anything to do with my experience with dogs. It has everything to do with yours though.

bb560m

Post by bb560m » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:16 am

bwire

Post by bwire » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:43 am

Worked the dogs on some released pheasants a couple weeks ago and got these pictures:
Bitz in front and Nittany in the back.

Blitz

Don't have any wild birds around so pen raised is the best I can do.

Flmedic

Post by Flmedic » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:50 am

This is Zeus we have started our first year in NSTRA and he is off to a great start! We ran a fun trial last weekend before we ran in NSTRA and to my surprise he took second at the fun trial and placed 5th out of 32 dogs at the NSTRA event! not bad for his first trials, he just turned 16 months old and comes from a great blood line! but he will have to be force broke! and the handler (me) has a lot to learn as well! but more than anything I am having fun and he seems to love it too!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:30 pm

ultracarry wrote:Whatever you want stoneface. BTW you are still wrong.

And this doesn't have anything to do with my experience with dogs. It has everything to do with yours though.
Wrong about what? And what exactly do you know about my experience with dogs? This time please try to stay away from double talking and side-stepping answers and just stick to actual facts. What is it about my experience that you know so much about that you can sit up on your throne and cast down judgement and insults?
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:39 pm

Should not reply per ezzy :) o could copy and past from your dog trainer website with prices.

You are wrong about your assumption on my dog and I. :) cheers.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:11 pm

ultracarry wrote:Should not reply per ezzy :) o could copy and past from your dog trainer website with prices.

You are wrong about your assumption on my dog and I. :) cheers.
You are welcome to reply if you want to tell us about the dogs he has trained. Prices do not translate in to anyone buying.

Stoneface, I am curious about someone wanting to let this whole thing drop and then starts it again 9 hours later. Seems that you are not being honest with us on this and I sure question your sudden illness of a few weeks ago plus several other things you have posted. It is no wonder people question the things you say as some are unbelieveable.

Will tell you both to cool it as of now. No one needs to listen to something neither one of you can prove.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 am

Okay, this is "pre" pre-season........... my 10 week old Pointer pup, Bodhi.
This picture was taken yesterday just as he came out of some Woodcock cover- where he found a Woodcock!

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:54 am

How old's that pup now, Rob? How's he coming? Looks like he's going to be a looker!
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:23 am

bwire wrote:Worked the dogs on some released pheasants a couple weeks ago and got these pictures:
Bitz in front and Nittany in the back.

Blitz

Don't have any wild birds around so pen raised is the best I can do.
Bwire - Your pic reminds me of the best Versatile dog I've ever had the pleasure of hunting over.... My best friends dog "Penny" is pictured here below with my Father and Son duo "Cy & Clyde" - We were sitting in my pickup drinking coffee and seen 3 roosters fly across the road behind us into the ditch. We casually got out and unloaded the dogs. Three roosters in the bag before we ever stepped across the road! :lol:

Unfortunately as they say, Divorce is a Beeatch and his Ex-Wife gave his dog he'd had for nearly 10 years away last year to some ol boy for free. We've contacted him but he isn't interested in giving her back.... :(

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

bwire

Post by bwire » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:34 pm

Prariefirepointers, I'm glad the pictures brought back a good memory for you. Afterall, that's the main reason most of us do this. Sorry to hear about the dog being given away but it sounds like she's making the new owner happy. Thanks for sharing the picture.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:24 am

Stoneface wrote:How old's that pup now, Rob? How's he coming? Looks like he's going to be a looker!
Rowdy,
Bodhi will be 10 weeks old tomorrow. He has no problem jumping right into woodcock cover at this piont. I've never had a pup display this type of fearlessness/independence at such a young age..... It really is remarkable- almost scary. His attitude early on is pure Alpha.... With a capital "A". I have my work cut out for me.

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:08 pm

Looks great :D
GrayDawg wrote:Okay, this is "pre" pre-season........... my 10 week old Pointer pup, Bodhi.
This picture was taken yesterday just as he came out of some Woodcock cover- where he found a Woodcock!

Rob
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson