10 months GSP whining all day long

mobeasto123

10 months GSP whining all day long

Post by mobeasto123 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:14 am

Hi there, My friend have a 10 months old Female GSP which is whining all day long.. When you play with her she's whining really loud to show her happiness.. But the problem is that she just don't sopt all day long, attention given or not.. At first she was doing it form time to time but since couple months she do it all day long. Is it normal or will it pass over or It would need a bit of E-collar to correct the sitution.. Really my friend is irritated to the point of wanting to get rid of the dog..

Any suggestions

thanks
David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: 10 months GSP whining all day long

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:56 am

It's something some shorthairs do. Get used to it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Amen Casey :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:23 pm

I have shorthairs that whine-hum-cry-yip in their sleep. A friend who once travelled showing dogs with a shorthair person had to wear earplugs while in the motorhome it was so bad.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:39 pm

send the dog my way i would be glad to have it. :D if they are going to get rid of it.

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 am

Is the dog getting enough exercise?

Make a point not to reward it by throwing the ball, feeding, etc... until it shuts up.

My male gets like that when I haven't run him in a day or so; he'll just pace from the front window to the back window whining. It makes me want to stab my eyes out.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:34 am

My 5.5 month old is well on his way to doing the same thing - I call it "nose whistling" after someone here recently posted about the same kind of problem and he called it that, and it definitely is an accurate description. He does it mostly when he's bored and wanting attention, or when he knows it's getting close to time to go for a walk, get fed, play fetch, etc. I'd been giving him verbal/physical punishment for it, but that didn't seem to be working. Recently I bought an obedience training book and while it didn't address that behavior specifically, from the general approach my husband and I decided to change our tactics a bit. We've only been trying the new method for a few days, so I can't say yet whether it will be effective long-term, but at least the problem hasn't gotten worse during those few days, and it's certainly much less stressful for me.

Basically, if the dog is whining, he gets social isolation. We have the kitchen baby-gated off to keep the dog away from our kid's toys and everything else he'd make a mess of, and so if he's whining we don't look toward the kitchen, face the kitchen, or give him any other indication that he's being paid attention to. We'll even go to another part of the house if it's just getting on our nerves that much. If he really won't stop, I'll isolate him even more and quietly walk into the kitchen and put him in his crate. Not aggressively or anything, just walk him over and put him in and close the door, then leave. We then just sit and wait. Once he lets up the whining, even if it's just for ten seconds or so (and we'll extend the time a bit as he learns, hopefully), we let him out and reward him with whatever attention he was wanting - food, a walk, whatever.

If he's outside, I try to make sure not to let him in if he's being obnoxious at the back door - I'll try to be out of sight and watch for him to wander away, or even just turn away, and then I'll let him in. But I've also tried to get better about not leaving him outside long enough that he starts getting annoying (he started digging holes in the grass, etc. and we'd rather avoid that).

Like I said, I'm not sure if this approach will help, but basically it's like a toddler throwing a tantrum - they want attention, even if it's negative attention of getting thumped or yelled at or whatever. So you simply don't even play the game with them. For the 3-4 days we've been trying this new approach with the dog, at least his whining hasn't gotten worse, but it's hard to say if it's gotten better just yet, but like I said before, it's MUCH less stressful for me now that I don't feel like I just have to punish him sooner/faster/harder to get him to behave. Now it's up to him to shut himself up if he wants to do anything fun, otherwise he gets social isolation.

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:04 pm

Of course I'm new to all this (I've worked with animals plenty in the past, but I'm definitely not an expert, especially on hunting breeds), so take my advice with a grain of salt ... if someone else has a better suggestion, listen to them.

Lots of exercise also seems to help my GSP. A tired dog is a happy dog.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:18 pm

benelli wrote:A tired dog is a happy dog.
Yup. Applies to kids, too. :wink:

benelli

Post by benelli » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:59 pm

I also try to make sure our dog has plenty to chew on - I buy soup bones so often our backyard looks like a cow cemetery. But if the dog is busy chewing, he's not so likely to get antsy and whine/whistle.

I'm not sure if this concept has merit (I'm sure someone will correct me if it's an untrue statement), but the dog training book I read recently said that if you have to punish a dog for an action more than twice, you need to change your tactics because your current approach isn't working. At least in theory that idea made sense to me; I didn't like that I was having to punish him constantly for whining, because it seemed like he really wasn't making the connection between the noise he was making and the punishment he received, even though it was always timely.

Again, I'm no expert and this is my first experience with a GSP, so maybe all my efforts really will be fruitless like some of the previous posts make it sound. But I know how annoying it is to have a whistling dog, and I don't want your friend to have to give up a dog for something like that, so I'm trying to think of the different things we've done around here to try to fix/lessen the problem.

dutch7

Post by dutch7 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I asked this question at the local club "does your GSP whine like this too?" the reply "no, mine has a much higher pitch!"
Ive had three and they've all done it to some extent but I ma not as experienced as some.

Huntbear

Post by Huntbear » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:59 pm

Mine has actually slowed down on the "nose whistling" (knocking on wood as I type this) It seems he is worse when he is crated and we are leaving, and first thing in the morning when he needs to go potty and I am not waking up as fast as he thinks I should...

This is what I have done.. make sure he gets plenty of exercise (playing ball fetch twice a day minimum for 30-45 min.) lots of attention (petting, wrestling a little, etc..).

Rex knows he is going to get plenty of attention and exercise, and is much better adjusted to our home since we rescued him. Now, if I could just find a food that will not give him such NASTY, Eye Watering, Causing you to RETCH gas..... No matter what I have tried he has it... :pukeleft: :pukeright:
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented worker is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist......

Hunting is part of my heritage I am most proud of....