Runt

aferrer30

Runt

Post by aferrer30 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:18 pm

Hey guys, what's up?!!!? I'm new to the forum and it's my first time ever writing something so, here we go. What are the pros and cons of having a GSP runt? Thanks and have a nice day.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Runt

Post by Sharon » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:53 pm

The dog in my avatar is a runt. The litter sold quickly but no one wanted a runt. Smallest in the litter and struggled to survive. She is a great bird finder and has more heart than any of my other dogs. Don't ever unestimate a runt. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:51 am

Sharon,

Thanks for your response. As of right now, she hasn't had any problems and is eating great, runs around a lot. I have been reading around and have found that some Gsp that are runts can be only up to 32 to 40lbs. Have you heard otherwise? I do have a friend that has a Gsp and it's also a runt and she weighs 32lbs, and she is soo hyper..

Knightfarms

Post by Knightfarms » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:02 am

I got the runt of the litter, and she's not so small anymore. Just remember that a small 8 wk old pup doesn't equal a small adult. And there's a difference between small and sickly. Make sure your runt in healthy and you'll likely have a good dog on your hands.
-Cheryl
I'm new to the game, please don't shoot me :)

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -Unknown

luvmydogs

Post by luvmydogs » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:14 am

Take the runt! I always have a soft spot for the runt (as long as it's healthy).

Actually, it's more important that it's personality is what you are looking for. Sometimes they are the runt because they have a calmer/gentler personality and don't fight to get to the food as much as the others. Not always true, but that has been my experience. They can certainly change though depending on the type of environment you have them in.

Also, in the last litter we had, the one that was the runt ended up not being the smallest now that they are all 1 1/2 yrs old.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:53 am

Our best lab growing up was a runt... as I posted in the other runt thread. Was more laid back, listened well, could churn through briar holes better than our bruiser dogs. Sometimes the small one in the litter is the best one.

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks everyone, I think that all of have hit the nail in the head. She is the smallest from the group, doesn't rush to eat, active and most of all very healthy. I do hope that she turns out as a good retriever when I go hunt doves. Again, thanks for the replies.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am

aferrer30 wrote:Sharon,

Thanks for your response. As of right now, she hasn't had any problems and is eating great, runs around a lot. I have been reading around and have found that some Gsp that are runts can be only up to 32 to 40lbs. Have you heard otherwise? I do have a friend that has a Gsp and it's also a runt and she weighs 32lbs, and she is soo hyper..
She's 29 pounds at age 6. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:59 am

Nice...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:03 am

I never let the fact that it is the runt effect my decision.

uplandguide

Post by uplandguide » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 pm

My last female was a runt. I chose her pick of the litter 15 years ago! she was nothing short of amazing!
Mcshane's Bringing on another Chance "Hattie" NA PR 1

Sire : DC Gambles Sam Man MH UT PR1
Dam : Friedelsheim's Greenwood Greta NA PR1

Jesse

lowerGSP

Post by lowerGSP » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Ive got a GSP female that is almost 2 years old weighing in at 32lbs. Her drive in the field is excellent. Only issue i have ever ran into with her size was her first year hunting we were out in a very thick field and her beeper was going off in point mode. I finally found her and realized she wasnt on point. She got stuck in lots of thickets and brush and couldnt get out. To her credit her feet were a foot off the ground :lol:

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Lower Gsp,

You have a nice Gsp, I should be looking forward for mines to look like her.