buying a dog

dlind

buying a dog

Post by dlind » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 pm

I haven't had a dog in acouple decades but have been hunting with my buddies and their dogs for many years. Here's my question, I live in Michigan and will be hunting mostly grouse. Once a year I go to South Dakota to hunt pheasant. Any suggestion on a breed that will work for me? I've been told a pointing breed would be the ideal dog for grouse hunting but I want a good house/family dog. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: buying a dog

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:06 pm

Most any pointing breeds have line's that will work for you. I would be very careful about Pointer's, Setter's, and GSP's. Many of them will be dogs that can and will run far to big for you. They can probably be brought in but that desire will still be there and then they don't get just a little out of sight, they get gone. that is what they were bred to do.

if I wanted what you sound like your looking for, I'd look at Britt's and Vislas's.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm

If GSP is of interest to we just bred two outstanding ruffed grouse dogs. JJ is as calm as can be in our home and Briar is laid as well. See post, INTCH/VC/MH Sired Pups.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Ask your friends about the origin of their dogs if you enjoy hunting with them Puppies are highly overrated and you can often pick up a nice young adult for nearly what you'd drop on a pup. I would say GSP or GWP, but I don't think breed is important so much as finding a dog that fits you and what you want to do.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dlind

Post by dlind » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

One of my buddies has a drathaar that could use some training. She loves to run. She is a nutty dog but has an extremely high drive. Another of my friends has a couple of nice labs but they don't do great in the woods. Another friend has a gsp but he's older (the dog) but we'll trained. I haven't hunted in the woods with that dog but he told me that he is good.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:59 pm

A setter from grouse lines would fit the bill.

Aline
sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:23 pm

Look at Up coming Lewellin litter, under dogs for sale; nice and calm and personal indoors and hard charging outdoors. :)

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:17 am

Can’t go wrong with an EB…especially one from Mark Dinsmore/ L’Etoile Du Nord Kennels. On here his name is ohmymy111.

http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com/

I believe he has some pups on the ground right now.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:44 am

If you are not concerned too much with the breed, and have a bit of time, I would say to contact a few different breeders and ask to go out Grouse hunting with them and their dogs. Check out some different breeds, see first hand what they are like, and decide which suits you best. Perfect timing for it, and any breeder should be happy to take you out with their dogs :).
CanCH Stonepoint's the Missing Link FD, RDX, V (Lincoln)
NorthLink Mattie's Bayou Shade NAVHDA NAII (108) (Shade)
NorthLink's Shaken Not Stirred NAVHDA NAI (112) (Olive)
http://www.northlinkweimaraners.com

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:28 am

Everyone will recommend a different breed. And they all can be good or bad just the same. Depends on breeding and training.

A Viszla is a great dog if you want to keep it in the house. They thrive on human interaction. They are tireless hunters and very people friendly. Mine is old now going on 13 and doesn't see much hunting. More than a couple of hours and he is done.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:42 pm

LincolnAlexander wrote:If you are not concerned too much with the breed, and have a bit of time, I would say to contact a few different breeders and ask to go out Grouse hunting with them and their dogs. Check out some different breeds, see first hand what they are like, and decide which suits you best. Perfect timing for it, and any breeder should be happy to take you out with their dogs :).
+1

dlind

Post by dlind » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:36 am

Thank you all very much for your guidance. It is appreciated!