What do I need to bring?

isuhunter

What do I need to bring?

Post by isuhunter » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:14 am

I am preparing for my first long distance hunting trip to western Kansas with my 11 mo GSP and 5 other guys and two other GSP's.

I'm wondering what you guys recommend bringing along that might get over looked. Also what do you recommend for a dog first aid kit/supplies?

deseeker

Re: What do I need to bring?

Post by deseeker » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:22 am

Number 1 on my long distance hunt kit is a Skunk kit for getting rid of skunk oder :roll:

r.r.rouse

Post by r.r.rouse » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:32 am

Bag balm and tuff foot or doggie boots. Dog feet get tore up in different grasses and or soils. Also some water from home less upseting on stomach. Maybe some soft dog food mixed with kibble to entice them to eat. Good dry bedding in the dog box to keep them warm and dry so they burn less calories tring to stay warm.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:01 am

when we went to south dakota we brought a flat of chicken noodle soup, and we would heat it up and mix it in with the dog food in the morning to warm them up. Also, peanut butter on wheat bred for a snack when you are out in the field. I usually throw a insta-coldpack in my vest just incase one of the pups starts looking like he is about to fall over from the heat.

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am

Phone number and address of the local Vet! Had a dog get in a barb wire fence in SD one year.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:21 am

Pheasants! Your going to need to bring some to put out. :lol:

Doesn't look good for the most part. But there should be some locally good areas.

It can be very hot and windy or you could be hunting in snow. Be prepared for either. Kansas weather changes fast and frequently. Download and print off the WIHA map for the area you are hunting off of the KDWPT website or stop by the first walmart you see when you hit the state border. They should be on the website soon if not already.

gundogsupply.com

GDF Hosting Provided By Gun Dog Supply

Post by gundogsupply.com » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:44 pm

As mentioned above here's some tuff foot -- works great! -- ROB

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

What do I need to bring?

Post by ACooper » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:39 pm

First aid kit that includes a staple gun. Power inventor so you can charge ecollars and electronics while driving. If you have anything that takes batteries bring extras.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:18 am

deke wrote:when we went to south dakota we brought a flat of chicken noodle soup, and we would heat it up and mix it in with the dog food in the morning to warm them up. Also, peanut butter on wheat bred for a snack when you are out in the field. I usually throw a insta-coldpack in my vest just incase one of the pups starts looking like he is about to fall over from the heat.
As far as the cold pack do you stick it underneath the dogs "arm pits"?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:35 am

Cell phone, dogs and credit card. CJ

deke

Post by deke » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:16 am

Yes, right up under his armpit or hip, my vet told me they have a big vein running through there, so in a pinch you can cool the dog down like that. A pond is better, but the ice pack will work.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:35 pm

3 tips:

Throw a frisbee in your pack so you can water the dog in the field without bringing a bulky bowl or without loosing a ton of water by letting them drink from the water bottle.

Don't forget forceps or pliers for burrs, etc.

Check out Scott Linden's exhaustive list of items - I have modified that list for myself and try to print it off before I start packing for a trip.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:12 pm

rkappes wrote:
deke wrote:when we went to south dakota we brought a flat of chicken noodle soup, and we would heat it up and mix it in with the dog food in the morning to warm them up. Also, peanut butter on wheat bred for a snack when you are out in the field. I usually throw a insta-coldpack in my vest just incase one of the pups starts looking like he is about to fall over from the heat.
As far as the cold pack do you stick it underneath the dogs "arm pits"?
Inside the thigh is the femoral artery. Cooling the belly and inner thighs is the quickest way to cool a dog down. I've heard of people using rubbing alcohol on a washrag - give the lower belly and inner thighs a rubdown - the alcohol evaporates almost instantly and is very cooling.. problem is if there are any scratches or rubs, it stings too.

The icepack is an EXCELLENT idea. God, I love this forum...

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks for the plug Rooster's Mom. You are all welcome to download my Ultimate Upland Checklist. The only thing not on the list is the semi-truck you'll need to haul it.

http://scottlindenoutdoors.com/ultimate ... -download/
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

deke

Post by deke » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:52 am

AZ i have male dogs, i cannot convince them to stay still with an ice pack wedged down there. I have never heard of the rubbing alcohol, but i know they use to use it on people who had a fever to cool down there body temp, just never made the connection.

mister2

Post by mister2 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 pm

I carry a few 1-gallon Ziploc bags as drinking bowls. Works great and stows away much nicer than an actual bowl.