JD at 7 1/2 Months - Lewellin Setter

Montana

JD at 7 1/2 Months - Lewellin Setter

Post by Montana » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:56 pm

I posted some photos of JD here a few times when he was a few months old. He is almost 8 months old now and coming along well. I'm not shooting birds over him yet....we're not quite ready for that, but he's learning how to navigate through cactus and barbwire, the difference between tweety birds and gamebirds, and all of those things pups need to learn. He's ranging out around 200 yards or so in the open...sometimes a little further, sometimes a bit closer but he keeps tabs on me. I've had him out a lot (like nearly every day), so he's getting a lot of time to figure things out. He's an easy going dog when in the house...pretty layed back. When in the field he hunts at a steady pace....he's not heck bent for election, but he hunts had a good clip. He's still in the gangly "teenage" stage (all legs). It took him a while to figure out that he liked water, but now enjoys a swim with my other dogs. All in all, I'm very pleased with his progress... His obedience is coming along, but needs some work yet. This fall will strictly be for training. I'm sure I'll be shooting some birds over him in a few weeks, but this year is not about shooting birds...it's about bringing him along the right way...

quackerjack

Re: JD at 7 1/2 Months - Lewellin Setter

Post by quackerjack » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:26 am

That's exciting! Sounds like he is coming along just as you had hoped. I love the liver-orange-white coloring. Gorgeous dog! Thanks for sharing.
Peace, it's what's for dinner!

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 am

Imo, best looking Lew I have ever seen, great looking pup! Glad to hear he is coming along well for you.

Corry

Montana

Post by Montana » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:09 am

Thanks.....Mike Miller at Sixgun Kennels (the breeder) deserves the credit for J.D......He and J.D.'s parents. :wink:

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:36 pm

I have never seen a setter with those colors. I really like that.
Very handsome dog.

Mike

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 pm

That is a nice-looking Lewellin. Unusual, too. If you docked his tail, and replaced the orange with liver, you'd have a near clone of my britt.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:23 pm

I have not seen many Llewellins with those markings.
Charles Sherrod at Highcotton kennels has had a couple really good LS with similar markings.

He is a nice looking dog at 8 months. I was hunting my Llew pup Indy at 6-7 months last season. He did well, but made a few rookie mistakes.

Have you gotten your pups gun exposure done yet?
Steve

Montana

Post by Montana » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:53 am

SetterNut wrote:I have not seen many Llewellins with those markings.
Charles Sherrod at Highcotton kennels has had a couple really good LS with similar markings.

He is a nice looking dog at 8 months. I was hunting my Llew pup Indy at 6-7 months last season. He did well, but made a few rookie mistakes.

Have you gotten your pups gun exposure done yet?

I'm in the process of introducing gunfire right now... Haven't shot a shotgun over him yet, but have been gradually introducing the training pistol. So far, so good. I'll be starting with the shotgun this week.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:28 pm

The safest way to do it is while he is chasing a bird at a distance from you or a helper. Start out firing the gun the other direction.
Take you time, its take the time it takes.
Steve

cstokes/southeast,ks

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:Imo, best looking Lew I have ever seen, great looking pup! Glad to hear he is coming along well for you.

Corry
x1

Fester

Post by Fester » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:50 pm

you would prolly have to screw up bad to make a llew gunshy they take to it pretty well
Fester

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 pm

Fester wrote:you would prolly have to screw up bad to make a llew gunshy they take to it pretty well
Fester
True but I have seen it done, Its easy to do right, and a B**ch to fix and sometimes can't be fixed.
Steve

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Ghosted3 wrote:Imo, best looking Lew I have ever seen, great looking pup! Glad to hear he is coming along well for you.

Corry

Same here! Good lookin' pup!