If your buying a gundog????

tfbirddog2

If your buying a gundog????

Post by tfbirddog2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:23 pm

I currently have a dog for sale listed a few places here included. I have had inquries about him, nobody from here, mainly from my area. Here is the question I pose to who ever comments. If you are looking to buy a dog like the dog I am selling, 18 months old basicly what i would call, started/ green finished cause he will only get better cuase he is young and already had a season and about to start another with me. He is registered but really has no champion bloodline, just registered lines. If you didnt want to do the puppy thing and just go hunting and not have to do anything with him but that, what would think you should pay???? Honestly he has 2 to 3000 birds over him, Im selling pups for 4 to 500 that are not trained. Maybe someone can enlighten me that I change my price or something.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

chukarmandoo

Re: If your buying a gundog????

Post by chukarmandoo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:50 pm

I basically done this earlier this year. Had 3 dogs that (in my mind) were started dogs. Out of desperation I put them up for free. Some of them are in trials. Some are hunting. All are really good dogs. Unfortunately all the time and money you spend will only be lessons learned. Cut your losses and move on! Next time, have them all sold before they are born or cull them the after. Cold but true.

orbirdhunter

Post by orbirdhunter » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:09 pm

It depends on the breed.....I prefer to get started dogs over buying pups anymore. If its a popular breed like a gsp or ep or britt then I think I can pickup a nice hunter for under $1000, they are a dime a dozen out there right now. I would expect to pay a little more for a top pedigree or solid trial prospect.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:19 pm

just from my perspective you say the dog has two or three thousand birds over it but your calling it started/green finished? That just jumps out at me as something funny.,...

Dog with that many birds successfully shot over them should be at a completely finished state, I would think.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:32 pm

IMO its a tough time to sell a started dog or a puppy, birds are down in many places the economy is down everywhere.

I looked at your add, I think it always helps to post a good photo of the dog on point, and not pointing standing on top of a bird, most folks want to see prior to knowing how interested they are, and a good photo can generate interest that you may not have ever got no matter how nice the dog and your description may be.

Also posting your price in the add may also help. From you description (sounds like dog has lots of work) and lack of price I assume that you are wanting a large sum of money. This may or may not be the case, that is just how it "feels" to me.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:25 am

Well thank you for you responses, first I bought the pup with thoughts I would breed him with one of my females, but have decided not to.
Well actually he is finished to hunt, , but I have been told I dont have or sell finished dogs, becuase they are not steady, wing to shot. But he is finished to my standards and to most. If he stays till the end of march he will be totally finished and the bird numbers will be 5 to 6000.
I have yet to find only puppies for a $1000 or under.Dont know what picture you saw ACooper of my dog standing on top of a bird anyways. NOt wanting a astronomical amout for the dog and it doesnt matter if you post a price every email or text I get it the same first question what price are you asking for the dog.
" Everyone makes fun of a redneck till their car breaks down"Larry the Cable Guy

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:04 am

chukarmandoo wrote:...Cut your losses and move on...
Ding, ding, ding

FWIW, I had a broke, female (intact), field trial winner, wild bird dog, etc. for sale. I only asked 1500 because I knew what the market could hold and ended up selling her for 1000 (prob less once I split costs for fuel n crate).

There are two ways to think when you are selling dogs. 1. To make money or 2. To put them in good hands (at a fair/reduced rate, and move on to the next project. On the female above I chose #2 because I wanted to find the "right one" to trial. I found a good home for her, cut my losses and moved on. No harm no foul and she is getting all the wild birds she can find.

In your case, if you truly want to move it...a non broke dog that is a great hunting buddy...start at 1500 and be willing to take half.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:44 am

What do you mean by "he has 2 to 3000 birds over him?" Does that mean shot over him? He had 3000 pigeon contacts? Wild bird contacts? I'm assuming it just means bird contacts of any kind and honestly, when I read that an 18 month old pup has had contact with 3000 birds, that sounds like an exaggeration and in turn becomes a red flag. Assuming you started really training around 6 months, that's an average of ten birds a day and that sounds a bit excessive. Not saying it isn't true, just saying from the perspective of an inexperienced weekend trainer and hunter, 3000 sounds like a tall tail and no one wants to buy something they think is being sugar coated by the seller. I'd get rid of advertising the bird contacts and just focus on what the dog will do for the buyer. When does it break point? Does it back other dogs? Has it been on wild birds? How's the retrieve? That sort of thing.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:58 am

tfbirddog2 wrote:Well thank you for you responses, first I bought the pup with thoughts I would breed him with one of my females, but have decided not to.
Well actually he is finished to hunt, , but I have been told I dont have or sell finished dogs, becuase they are not steady, wing to shot. But he is finished to my standards and to most. If he stays till the end of march he will be totally finished and the bird numbers will be 5 to 6000.
I have yet to find only puppies for a $1000 or under.Dont know what picture you saw ACooper of my dog standing on top of a bird anyways. NOt wanting a astronomical amout for the dog and it doesnt matter if you post a price every email or text I get it the same first question what price are you asking for the dog.
Not sure you got the jest of my post, I wasn't saying that YOU posted a photo of a dog standing on top of a bird, just that you need to post a photo, and when you do, don't have the dog standing on top of the bird.

Price is a tricky thing, do with it as you see fit, I was not trying to be critical of you, your dog, or your add, just giving my opinion.
Last edited by ACooper on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:17 am

Selling dogs can be complicated, puppies are easier. With a puppy you are selling hope and potential; with a dog comes expectations. The more complicated the transaction the better the definition is needed to define the terms. I hope this answer comes across as sincere and respectful as it is meant that way. What you are describing is not a broke dog per se'. What you are describing is what should come natural to well bred pointing dogs given ample experience after a couple of years. The degree of value for a dog like this is shown and measured in its natural aptitude for many different situations and can only be quantified via direct observation.

If you contrast that with a dog that is expected to be steady to wing, shot and fall and force broke to retrieve. These skills are easily measured and the value established in the market by professional trainers who set the price based on the time it takes them to produce these results. I have "rescued" a couple of rather average dogs that I like, and put them through the breaking process including force breaking to retrieve and have sold them for $1500 to $3000 depending on the situation surrounding the sale. I could take these dogs out and show the owners a dog very honest on its birds and very efficient on the retrieve in a field in just moments, and it was more training than the average Joe would have normally seen.

In my opinion, if you want to sell a dog like this you find a friend or a nice guy or gal starting their hunting experience at a preserve. If we can assume obedience is in place and it finds the birds, stands long enough to shoot and mostly brings them back...all without running into somebody else's field and busting $25 pheasants hither and yon, you can probably expect to get $750 to $1000 for the dog. Anywhooo, that's one person's opinion. Good luck,
Joe

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:47 am

I would have to agree with chukar and the others. I was looking for a dog and know a few people. Unless the dog has a stacked pedigree I wouldn't take a chance at spending 1500 or even more than 500 if it is not already trained to stand through the shot and fall. If you train to break at the shot I can find them all day from trialers selling drop out dogs or even giving them away (as stated above) for less than 500.

I just picked my puppy up yesterday. He scent points and will stand for a while and allow you to get close enough to shoot before he will break. He just turned four months old two days ago. He ranges and comes when called (most of the time) and is a trial prospect. The amount I spent on him was under $200 (gas and crate) . If he doesn't work out he will be going back but I have a good feeling he won't be.

I think looks are 90% of what will sell a dog to Joe hunter looking for a family friend and hunting buddy who doesn't care about the broke dogs. Put a picture on there of a dog scent pointing and looking tight and it will result in more people being interested. A lot of people don't care how many birds you shot over it as long as it points and looks good on point.

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:19 pm

Got your point Acooper, sorry to come off the wrong way. 2 to 3000 birds that is a the number of birds(pheasant,quail,chuckar, and a few praiaire chicken) that is from when I started guiding him in Oct to the endof March. As far as posting pics other than here I have them posted, cant get pic to post rite here where you can actually see the whole pic. Sorry I have tried looking for a dog before, not a pup that is ready to go and hunt. Not steady to wing(dosent work for me I guide) and I dont find them for less than $1800 to $2000!!!!!! And those are of dogs with lines that I havent heard of. So if somebody wants to tell me who is selling started dogs for under a $1000 in my neck of the woods or in a descent drive I might like to look at what they got.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 am

You asked for an opinion and got it.

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 am

I generally gave up trying to sell dogs a long time ago. The hassle factor is unbelievable for the monetary return. When I have an extra one, I usually give them away, and some times that is a struggle.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:06 pm

I have seen very nice turn key hunting dog's with one solid season behind them of upland bird hunting that were used as professional guide dogs that would only bring $1500 or less (and in most cases much less). If you would like to possibly increase his marketable value, consider playing one of the available games and be successful at it.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:51 pm

tfbirddog2 wrote:Got your point Acooper, sorry to come off the wrong way. 2 to 3000 birds that is a the number of birds(pheasant,quail,chuckar, and a few praiaire chicken) that is from when I started guiding him in Oct to the endof March. As far as posting pics other than here I have them posted, cant get pic to post rite here where you can actually see the whole pic. Sorry I have tried looking for a dog before, not a pup that is ready to go and hunt. Not steady to wing(dosent work for me I guide) and I dont find them for less than $1800 to $2000!!!!!! And those are of dogs with lines that I havent heard of. So if somebody wants to tell me who is selling started dogs for under a $1000 in my neck of the woods or in a descent drive I might like to look at what they got.
Are you looking to buy or to sell? If you are looking to buy, I can put you on to some finished (broke steady to wing and shot by a pro trainer) dogs which have holes that keep them from being competetive field trial dogs.
These dogs can be had for $1500 or less. The guy needs room for his next crop of puppies for evaluation.

Oh, they are in Kansas.

If you are really looking, PM me and I'll give you details.

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:11 pm

OK i feel some of the pain here, and I don't feel like the bird number is exessive at all cause he guides, like alot of us, my young dogs have alot of birds shot over them as well, as for the guy that can buy all these dogs you want for under 500 bucks well I dought it, where is the list? of all these dogs for sale
Fester