NOW I'm confused...

M Bouthillette

NOW I'm confused...

Post by M Bouthillette » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 pm

I came here with my mind set on getting a Griffon, but now, after all the reading I'm doing, I really don't have a clue anymore. I always thought Griffons were mild mannered dogs and GSP were the overactive ones. Seems it's not always like that. How do you find balance ? Is balance possible ? Is it specific to breeds or only to individuals ? Considering I'm looking for a hunting dog which I will train throughout the year, but this dog will live in my house with my young toddler, my wife and myself. I hunt waterfowl maybe 10 times during the season, but plan to hunt small game on a more regular basis. I've narrowed down the choices to certain breeds and would really like your input on this. I've trained labs for 6 years now and I really like intense dogs when it comes to working. Here are my choices

vizslas
Griffon
GSP
Pudlepointer

What do you think ?

duckn66

Re: NOW I'm confused...

Post by duckn66 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:24 pm

All are nice dogs. However, if you plan on having them retrieve waterfowl in cold water I would go with the pudlepointer. Don't know much about the Griffon, may be a good choice as well. I have a Vizsla and his coat is similar to a GSP in that they won't take much cold water. I think Pudlepointers are just plain neat dogs.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:13 am

I just would like to point out that gsp's are breed for the land as well as water. They have web feet and their skin is made to withstand coldest of water .They are all good dogs though.
Best thing I can tell you is narrow down your dislikes of each breed and choose from that.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:54 am

If you had your mind set on a Griffon I would go with a Griffon....otherwise you might regret your decision. Go with your gut feeling.

I'd say all breeds have their general traits but it really comes down to individual dogs.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:22 am

I cant say much about their use in cold water( I have a lab for that), But I have a 3yo GSP in my house and a 9mo old little girl and they are thick as theives. The dog always knows where my daughter is and she wakes up looking for him. He is more or less mellow in the house other than when he first comes out of his crate, and when he sees me pick up my boots to go out.

I also have a GSP who is about as welcome in my house as a whirlwind. hahaha. It depends on how you bring them up.

As far as a pudlepointer goes, they are a pretty cool dog and I imagine i will have one to replace my lab at some point. The pro i had my GSP with had one in for training, and while his pointing instinct wasnt super strong, he had a great personality and I fell in love with him.

I dont know much about Vs or griffons.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

ward myers

Post by ward myers » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:07 pm

instead of reading ,maybe go & visit some breeders or go to dog show or field events & get up close & personal with the breeds.
the AKc used to have meet the breeds at the dog shows not shure they still do that . they had a rep from every breed at the show at a table or booth with a few dogs there from every breed.
just a idea

M Bouthillette

Post by M Bouthillette » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. Ward, I'd love to, but at this time of the year all field tests are done for the season, so I figured I'd narrow down my choices and try and figure out the major tendencies of the breeds before I went and visited kennels first hand.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 pm

just make sure you get a field bred dog, watch out for griffons from show blood only !

Or any breed from show blood only for that matter......and a JH isn't field bred LOL
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno