Vaccination protocol

GsPJustin

Vaccination protocol

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:56 pm

Can anyone post links with studies about the vaccinations schedules. My vet use a 3 year distemper but said you can do it yearly if you like. I would just like to see if its on the better or worse side.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:38 pm

Take it for what it's worth. Most vets recommend annual booster. Personally I agree up to a certain age, then maybe every 3. There is a serum test that can be done to check for antibodies for immunity which can be done annually to determine if the dog needs a booster. But just the same It's best to go with what your vet recommends.

Here is an interesting read about this whole subject.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/vac.html
Last edited by Chaingang on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

markerdown

Post by markerdown » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:45 pm

Justin, you witnessed the controversy and opinions over this issue first hand , I hope this board is more courteous about it. This is the schedule my pup is on. Good bad or indifferent, you're going to find various opinions from just as many different web sites and vets. I suggest you talk to your local vet and immunize accordingly.............markerdown

http://www.doglogic.com/vaccination.htm
Live simply Love generously.
Care deeply, Speak kindly.
Hug your GSP often
Leave the rest to God.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:53 pm

Markerdown, Great advice. Why ask on here when you have a vet that knows what he is doing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

LSKGSPs

Post by LSKGSPs » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:32 pm

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:12 pm

I just remember yearly was the most reccomended, I just wanted to kind of compare the 2, the pros and cons.

Kurzhaar

Post by Kurzhaar » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:44 am

If you trust your Veterinary Professional follow his advice, if you don't find another vet. If you want to be a vet then go to Vet School.

Jim

pear

Post by pear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:28 am

Justin this can be a very controversial subject. Vets., have one-idea breeders another and owners maybe even another. Fact is most likely none of the schedules are truly wrong. What I usually end up doing is fairly simple…. I travel a lot with my dogs, hunting, trialing, showing and the like. While traveling with a buddy on a hunting trip once, he had to break-up a dogfight, in doing so he was bitten. The bite got infected, when he went to the ER, he was required to prove the dogs shots were up to date. He carried a shot record for all dogs in the pack. The attending Dr. matched up the records to a state requirement. As I recall he was in good shape on everything and maybe actually better than the requirement on a couple. From that experience I have always checked on the state and local requirements, along with any club requirements for the places I travel too… Seems like a lot of trouble, but so isn’t having a dog quarantined. Oh and it’s hard to argue with the written law. …”pear”
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:26 pm

Kurzhaar wrote:If you trust your Veterinary Professional follow his advice, if you don't find another vet. If you want to be a vet then go to Vet School.

Jim
He didnt really say what was best. He said that this is the shot we give, and we can give it more or less as needed. I just wanted an opinion from people that have given this shot multiple times.