Trouble!!!

WillieELk78GSP

Trouble!!!

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:02 pm

My 6 month GSP is really pissing me off, I will let her out and I go out with her she takes off, so far she doesn't go very far just into the neighbors yards and stuff but I don't want her to do it. She knows " here" but she just looks at me and takes off. Really gets under my skin. Eventually she does come back after a little corralling!!!! Any help would be awesome
God Bless

Fireside

Re: Trouble!!!

Post by Fireside » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:03 pm

check cord

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:00 pm

I would say she is not getting enough good exercise and she is telling you that with her behaviour. I have one who will sit at the door, stay at the door , when she feels she has been short shifted on exercise.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:13 pm

start e-collar training, every time my pointer would see the e-collar he would get excited, because it was always associated with fun. He was never let outside loose, you have no means to correct bad behavior. you can even set boundaries with the e-collar and they will learn there yard.i like the collars with the vibration setting works great. with in no time i could walk the yard and he would never leave, he would always skirt the edge though :D

Gooseman07

Trouble!!!

Post by Gooseman07 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:15 pm

I have a ton of room to run where I live but I make sure the dogs get out at least 20 minutes before work and 30-60 minutes after work if daylight allows. He doesn't go far anymore.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Trouble!!!

Post by ACooper » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:31 pm

How do you react when she does come back or you catch her?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:35 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:My 6 month GSP is really pissing me off, I will let her out and I go out with her she takes off, so far she doesn't go very far just into the neighbors yards and stuff but I don't want her to do it. She knows " here" but she just looks at me and takes off. Really gets under my skin. Eventually she does come back after a little corralling!!!! Any help would be awesome
:D I take it you haven't had kids old enough to be teenagers yet? :D

Your dog is asserting his independence.

Your task is to be gentle, patient, understanding, but consistent. Good time to go back to yardwork, fun, crate, yardwork, fun, crate. Introduce e-collar gradually and gently, and get a bullet-proof recall. With that, you can take your dog out and be confident that he'll be safe. DO NOT get too heavy-handed or you can cause damage to this vulnerable pup. He is, like your boy would do, testing the limits of your relationship.

Good luck. This is normal stuff. It, too, shall pass.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Usually I flip her on her back and spank her and say no, this is my first dog and I want her to be a hunter but not sure how to control her from leaving. If I am doing something wrong please tell me, I do not want to ruin her!!!
God Bless

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 pm

What your doing with this is punishing the dog for coming to you................ stop this like yesterday.If you continue to do this you could very well end up with a run off for the simple fact that your not fun,everytime you get on her your the bad guy,do it enough and she'll just give you the "Screw that guy" treatment.

Checkcord and reel it in when she blinks the here command,say it once and reel her in,praise/treat.Be CONSISTANT.
WillieELk78GSP wrote:Usually I flip her on her back and spank her and say no, this is my first dog and I want her to be a hunter but not sure how to control her from leaving. If I am doing something wrong please tell me, I do not want to ruin her!!!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:54 pm

You should be doing just the opposite,if every time you came home you were punished would you be in any hurry to come home?? When every she comes to you no matter if you have to catch her,
coax her in with the CC,no matter how ever you get her back to you praise her for it.Reward her not punish her & see if it don't work better.

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:56 pm

E-Collar

gittrdonebritts

Post by gittrdonebritts » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:24 pm

about the time they start blowing you off and becoming hard to gather up is perfect time to start working them with the e-collar

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 pm

Aww man thanks for the info, didn't know that that is what I have to do. Thanks so much!!! I will be doing this from now on!!!
God Bless

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Look for the book............... Wing and Shot.............. by the Late Robert Wehle,buy and read it,once you've read it................ read it again.
WillieELk78GSP wrote:Aww man thanks for the info, didn't know that that is what I have to do. Thanks so much!!! I will be doing this from now on!!!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 am

The fact That she really pisses you off is a problem. In spite of how it may seem dogs don't do things to aggravate. If you want to train you need to control your temper. If you yell continuously and he don't respond you are only making matters worse. Teaching he don't have respond. Be careful not to inhibit her you want boldness and idependence. Gentle e-collar. CJ

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:17 am

A 6 month old pup should always have a cc on just for those situations the op described, i know it is not as easy as just letting the dog out but it is easier than picking a dead dog up off of a road .

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:42 am

No matter how upset you are NEVER EVER PUNISH A DOG FOR COMING TO YOU
That is all the dog will know is that coming to you means getting punished

To add ...if you do not have control of the dog do not just run around screaming and hollering the command to come to you as the dog is learning there is no follow through on a command and it means nothing

So dog doesn't respond to the command turn around and walk away or just quietly stand there......as you move and call all you will be doing there is letting your dog know where you are and since the command means nothing..I will bet your dog is moving with you ...try changing directions and see what your dog will do...if he moves to the front of where you changed directions ..then as i suggested previously ..just stop and stand there quietly if your dog comes around to see why you are not moving kneel down...the dog should do what Rick Smith calls drive by's DO NOT REACH And grab for The dog ...better yet if the dog does come to you pet him then stand up send the dog off to run and walk on and repeat exercise of stop and be quiet...it may take an hour or more to play this game..but hopefully you can learn a bunch about your dog and how a dog will go with you in the field and come to you.....this new game will also help let the dog know that coming to you doesn't mean being put back in the kennel

PS if you ever have a chance to go to some Big running type trials you will hear handlers sing out while the dog is way ahead ...this is to let the dog know they are still moving the right direction (in effect this is more then likely what is happening to you and your dog) something you may in the future use to your advantage :wink:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:17 am

Yup. +1

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am

AzDoggin wrote:
WillieELk78GSP wrote:My 6 month GSP is really pissing me off, I will let her out and I go out with her she takes off, so far she doesn't go very far just into the neighbors yards and stuff but I don't want her to do it. She knows " here" but she just looks at me and takes off. Really gets under my skin. Eventually she does come back after a little corralling!!!! Any help would be awesome
:D I take it you haven't had kids old enough to be teenagers yet? :D

Your dog is asserting his independence.

Your task is to be gentle, patient, understanding, but consistent. Good time to go back to yardwork, fun, crate, yardwork, fun, crate. Introduce e-collar gradually and gently, and get a bullet-proof recall. With that, you can take your dog out and be confident that he'll be safe. DO NOT get too heavy-handed or you can cause damage to this vulnerable pup. He is, like your boy would do, testing the limits of your relationship.

Good luck. This is normal stuff. It, too, shall pass.
YOUR POST IS RIGHT ON. may i add. i trained whiskers on food bowl and blowing whistle.
he comes running when i blow whistle MOST times.
if not, i yell,WHISKERS ,YOU HUNGRY and i always carry kibble in my pocket.
he looks like above but his hunger takes over and IT WORKS.
sometimes running slowly the other way when pup is looking will have him come running.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 am

whatsnext wrote:A 6 month old pup should always have a cc on just for those situations the op described, i know it is not as easy as just letting the dog out but it is easier than picking a dead dog up off of a road .
i use 30 ft cord also even if he does listen.it just so easy to grab if you think he is going to take off.
i let whiskers drag cord while walking.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:11 pm

I have two that potty at night with no problems. The baby is really good and comes to a call or whistle very well, she has not gotten to the teenager stage yet. LOL The oldest girl comes when called as well.

The boy goes out on a check cord, he wants to go next door and visit his BFF...(who won;t be living there much longer, haven;t met the new neighbors yet) He can do his business on a 25' check cord just fine and I don;t have to wonder where he went and when he will decide to come home.

The middle girl likes to explore at night, I don;t like skunk or porcupine surprises... she is known to blow off the COME command, so she wears an eCollar.

It's not the easiest routine, but it guarantees I;m not out running around a 3AM, totally pissed off trying to get all 4 dogs back in so I can go back to sleep. I don;t even have to raise my voice, just say "Dogs in the house" and be ready to shut the door behind them.

A well know old horse trainer is famous for saying "Make the right thing easy" For the most part, our animals work for praise, set up the conditions where they pretty much can;t do it wrong, so they automatically do the right thing and get praised for it. Makes training a lot easier!!!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:19 pm

Fireside wrote:A well know old horse trainer is famous for saying "Make the right thing easy" For the most part, our animals work for praise, set up the conditions where they pretty much can;t do it wrong, so they automatically do the right thing and get praised for it. Makes training a lot easier!!!
That's good advice, right there.

Reminds me of Delmar Smith (who started out as a horse trainer, too). I've heard "set up your dog to be successful" as well.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone for for the input, I will stop punishing and do more praise, thanks so much.
God Bless

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:04 am

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Thanks everyone for for the input, I will stop punishing and do more praise, thanks so much.
get the whistle out and everytime you feed him,BLOW WHISTLE ONCE.
then out in yard put him on checkcord.put treats in your pocket in sandwich bag so he does not smell it.
let him go out 30 ft checkcord.bend down and blow whistle and say HERE.he will come running and give him treat.
do this forabout 10 days and he will come.
i hold my hand out and when he turns to look like he wants to run,he comes and i whistle or say HERE loud.

if he still does not come and looks at you, say ARE YOU HUNGRY.
this is what worked for me.
i dont give him treat everytime he comes to whistle.
in woods, i give him treat when he comes every so often.
after while no treats are necessary but still great way for pup to come.

Fester

Post by Fester » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Someone once told me "never give a pup a command you cant reinforce"
Fester

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:34 pm

Consistenty
Appropriate enforcement
Patience.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Thanks everyone I have been working with her for about a week now with positive reinforcement and wow it works better than expected, I have done more in one week with her than in an entire 5 months. Crazy!!!!
God Bless