Need advice on which breed

sd_mommy

Need advice on which breed

Post by sd_mommy » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I am looking for a dog that is a good pointer, and retriever and is also a good family dog. I have researched a few and am interested in the German shorthair, Wirehair griffon or a Viszl; Although I am open to others. My husband and I hunt pheasants, waterfowl, and big game and have 3 young boys who love the outdoors as much as mom and dad. We live on the eastern side of South Dakota out in the country, with lots of room to run. We don't go away from home very often, and are always looking for something to do outside. We ourselvs have never owned a dog but both grew up with them.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank You
-Sarah

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Need advice on which breed

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:11 pm

Gsp. maybe also a lab for late season waterfowl. Can't have too many dogs. CJ

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 pm

No doubt there are people who do hunt waterfowl in South Dakota with GSPs and even vizlas (they'll claim), but coat matters and they're not constructed for it. Breed-blindness being rampant, some will disagree,I suspect. You can probably find a griffon that can do the job, but the greater numbers of quality German Wirehaired Pointers mean it will be easier to locate a good one. Very fine breed, and a good one will certainly fulfill your requirements beautifully.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Hard to beat a wirehair/DD for your needs as well. You've got an excellent wirehair breeder right down the road from you: http://www.griffsgrasslandkennel.com/

Honestly, in addition to an internet survey, I think you'll be much happier with your choice if you get out and see the dogs.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:42 pm

Might have a look at a pudelpointer, also.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:08 pm

After almost 30yrs of training, guiding and owning Labs I accidentally ended up getting a Vizsla and I can honestly say that I will always have V's in my future. I may have other breeds as well but I will always have Vizsla's. Wonderful family dogs (there is a reason why they call them "Velcro dogs") but they know when it's time to turn it on.

The only dog in the history of the AKC to earn 5 CH titles in front of their name was a Vizsla. I don't think it's coincidental that the closest dog to achieving the same goal is also a Vizsla. (hush Brad27) lol

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm

AzDoggin wrote:
Honestly, in addition to an internet survey, I think you'll be much happier with your choice if you get out and see the dogs.
+1
Check out local clubs.

JeremyS

Post by JeremyS » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Not sure how close to Sioux Falls you are, but you could check out Midwest TriState Navhda. They are a great group, super friendly and would help you get started in the right direction and on the right foot. http://www.midwesttristatenavhda.org/ The members have good representation of several breeds including some real good griffons, vizslas and gsps. Things are winding down for the year, but I am sure you could find someone willing to help.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:39 pm

Everybody is partial to their breed. Like Brazo, I accidentally ended up with a vizsla nearly 14 years ago and have had them since, and couldn't be happier. From proper breeding (like all breeds), they will be great in the field as well as in the home. You mentioned that you hunt waterfowl, so a vizsla may not fill the cold weather waterfowl bill as well as perhaps a wirehair, pudelpointer, etc., but will probably do fine early in the season. Keep doing your homework, check out several breeds for yourself and with proper breeding and training you will be happy with your choice.
You could live without a dog, but it would not be worthwhile.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:53 pm

A well bred Pointing Lab?
Willie Hunter

CacaoandNilla

Post by CacaoandNilla » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:11 pm

lab

Munster

Post by Munster » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:10 pm

Small Munsterlander. Good all around dog,
http://www.huntwithamunster.com

Dealer for Dogtra, Ruff Tuff and Mud River Need a product, just ask.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:42 pm

5 hunters in the family and 1 dog . Sounds like you'll need a couple of dogs in time. Maybe a GSP and a Lab.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 am

Ms. Cage wrote:5 hunters in the family and 1 dog . Sounds like you'll need a couple of dogs in time. Maybe a GSP and a Lab.
Or just get yourself a DD :)
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

JKP

Post by JKP » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:02 am

There are many dogs from various breeds that will fit the bill. However, if you want to maximize your chance of getting a dog that will bust the heavy water for ducks and run the CRP, I would recommend that you look at the versatile breeds. Find a breeder that hunts as you hope to...if you find a breeder that doesn't feed 'em unless they earn their keep, you'll probably be very successful.

Good luck.

Christopher

Post by Christopher » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:33 am

I'd get a well bred, trainable Pointer. He is great with kids and he is a retrieving machine.