Where are the Irish?

Onk

Where are the Irish?

Post by Onk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am

Just curious why you don't see very many Irish Setters anymore? When I was a kid it seemed like one or another of my dad's friends always had one. The local know it all says the hunt has been bread out of them and they are mostly show dogs now. Any truth to that? They are a beautiful animal!!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

fieldtrialcentral

Re: Where are the Irish?

Post by fieldtrialcentral » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:32 am

Your local know it all don't!

This is a dog in Ray Dohse's string

or you could look here for more info.

http://redsetters.blogspot.com/

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am

I don't know much but what I've been told is that through most of the late 1900's the hunting lines were pretty much bred out by the show lines. There was an effort that started in the 50's through the 80's to get the hunt back into the breed and they were crossed with some field bred English setters and then crossed back with what was left of the hunting Irish setters and the result is the "red setters" that you see around once in a while but these dogs are not eligible for AKC registration due to some political AKC drama. However, they are eligible for American Field registration and I've seen some at trials and they are really nice dogs. Recently I've also seen some field bred AKC Irish setters that looked pretty good too here in the northwest and out in North Dakota. Point is, I think they're out there and there are some good breeders working on bringing them back but they're kinda tough to find. I hope I didn't mess the background up too much but I know there are some setter guys and gals on here that'll get me squared away if I did :D I'd add that if you can get your hands on a good one, they seem to be real good hunters with a sweet disposition, not to mention a beautiful dog to hunt behind.
Last edited by Gertie on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:08 am

fieldtrialcentral wrote:Your local know it all don't!

Thanks for posting that photo. Gorgeous dog.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

rinker

Post by rinker » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:13 am

I am an english pointer man, through and through, but I will eventually own an American Field red setter.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:16 pm

fieldtrialcentral wrote:Your local know it all don't!

Love that photo, nice dog. By this time next year I'll start posting photo's of a pup, hopefully a bit sooner!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:20 pm

There are several out there. I know That Wild Mountain Brittanys has a Red and White Irish Setter.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:30 pm

3Britts wrote:There are several out there. I know That Wild Mountain Brittanys has a Red and White Irish Setter.
The Irish Red and White setter is a totally different breed. AKC Irish are mostly bred for the Conformation ring, although many do participate in Hunt Tests and other performance venues. There are several kennels that concentrate on field trial breeding (Brophy comes to mind). We will be hosting the ISCA National Walking Field Trial and Hunt Test in northeastern Oklahoma next spring if anyone would like a look at the breed in a field setting.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:54 pm

If I remember correctly, the red and white is the original and the red irish setter was bred from the red and white. It is kind of like calling the differing cocker spaniels different breeds. Not a totally different breed, just different color for conformation purposes.

Onk

Post by Onk » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm

beautiful dog in the pic!

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:21 pm

I hate when we bread them. It takes away from the flavor. :roll:

They are out there. More and more IRISH people are pushing themselves to work on the breeds original intent as a bird dog. I'm a fan of allowing the dual registry for the reds in Akc. With time, I have hopes it will happen. Brophy Irish setters are renowned for their field abilities, while other Irish breeders like mythodical, Russell, and bright star Irish are all prominent dual breeders with several DC's amongst the three of them.

If you're ever in ks, you're welcome to see mine.
Kelli
Ps Cajun, will you be at the nwft in ok?
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:30 pm

KwikIrish wrote: Ps Cajun, will you be at the nwft in ok?
Well, I suppose I should show up and apologize personally to anyone tapped to judge because of me, but hope springs eternal for a zombie apocalypse. If all goes well, I will be setting up for another venue the following weekend. The regular club trial will be two weeks after the NWFT, so it will be a busy month.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Onk -

If you want to see a couple of pictures of an Irish Setter that was the real deal, punch up this name:

Speedy Edie O'Floin

All I will say is that, win or lose, that little girl made the little hairs on the back of your neck stand straight out. She was something else.

They don't come any better than Edie...and that is from a diehard pointer person.

RayG

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:04 pm

I just googled her and looked at some pictures, she looked very intense and has an extremely good build for running...wow. I see Zygalinski and Rankin put her up in the NFC...I cant wait to ask them

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Hey, no love for me? John Carroccio and I put her up in 2006.....Ziggy never has had an original thought, he was just followin' the leader. :mrgreen:
Dan

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:54 pm

hate when we bread them. It takes away from the flavor.
:lol: :lol: :wink:

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:50 am

I have never owned or trained an Irish Setter but I have seen them out working and competing in trials. I liked what I saw.
As I understand it the original Irish Setters were red and whites but fashion took over and more and more people belonging to both the work camp and the show camp began to breed for red only. The breed then split again into work type and show type .... the show type being considerably larger and far more profusely feathered. I have never seen a show type "working" I doubt if it is still in them to work to any standard.

About 20 years ago here some folk began trying to resucitate the red and white setters as working dogs. These folk were fortunate that a few good working dogs still remained. I saw some of the resucitated show types working during a training seminar I helped take some years ago. Some progress has been made and a few of the dogs I saw were fairly impressive. I think I'd have to travel to Ireland to see the real "goers" in action though.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:16 am

Wyndancer wrote:Hey, no love for me? John Carroccio and I put her up in 2006.....Ziggy never has had an original thought, he was just followin' the leader.
Didn't mean to dis on Dan
Well...tell us about the performance

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 am

IRISH are in 7th place this year .go ND :)

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I have never owned or trained an Irish Setter but I have seen them out working and competing in trials. I liked what I saw.
As I understand it the original Irish Setters were red and whites but fashion took over and more and more people belonging to both the work camp and the show camp began to breed for red only. The breed then split again into work type and show type .... the show type being considerably larger and far more profusely feathered. I have never seen a show type "working" I doubt if it is still in them to work to any standard.

About 20 years ago here some folk began trying to resucitate the red and white setters as working dogs. These folk were fortunate that a few good working dogs still remained. I saw some of the resucitated show types working during a training seminar I helped take some years ago. Some progress has been made and a few of the dogs I saw were fairly impressive. I think I'd have to travel to Ireland to see the real "goers" in action though.

Bill T.
There are some phenomenal dogs who play in all venues on your side of the pond in Germany and Norway. I know nothing of your country's show dog except what I've seen imported and I've never seen them work.
I am impressed with how many of these "show dogs" have retained the instinct. They might not be to your "standard" but who are they to care of that? I'm just happy to see this push towards more breeders considering the field aspect.
I witnessed a female Irish win an award of merit at the Irish national show from the field trial bitch class turn around and win the amature stake at our Irish walking national amongst a respectable entry.
She preformed to someone's standard that day, and there are more like her out there.
Cairncross Cat Ballou

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:27 pm

JIM K wrote:IRISH are in 7th place this year .go ND :)
:lol:
Someone ought to bread those Irish.
Cairncross Cat Ballou

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

It was 6 years ago...I can't recall the dogs from last weekend. I do however have something from the reporter Jim Baker.
The 2006 Irish Setter Club of America National Field Champion is
AFC Speedy Edie O’Floin (Edie).
Edie is a four year old Lady with speed and hunt to burn. She is owned/handled by Jack Flynn and watching the two of them is a treat. Edie is a handful but every time your scribe thought she had slipped her mooring lines, she showed exactly where she needed to be. Edie ran in the second brace of the first morning and laid down a wonderful race only to be rewarded by one non-productive. Possibly this was our first lesson concerning wild birds.

At the end of the stake, Edie was called back for a second hour. Braced with Brownhaven’s Shinning Symmetry (Emily), these two were the cream of the Championship but neither had satisfied the judges with their birdwork. They broke away on Course 2 and ran for the Championship. Emily’s race will be detailed later in the report. Edie was once again a handful and was brought to the front more than once but settled in and produced a wonderful race. At 30, Judge Carroccio rode up a covey and called their flight. Edie hunting in the area worked through, on her own, and pointed a small portion of the covey. The birds lifted before her handler could flush but all was in order. Edie’s style and manners were excellent. She finished strongly and at pick up, there was no doubt that we had a worthy National Champion.
Dan

Red Delicious

Post by Red Delicious » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:52 pm

Onk wrote: The local know it all says the hunt has been bread out of them and they are mostly show dogs now. Any truth to that? They are a beautiful animal!!

Not quit true Red Delicious Breelie was 2011 - 2012 AFTCA Region 10 shooting dog of the year.

Check out the National Red Setter Field Trial clubs web site http://WWW.NRSFT.COM

Craig O.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 am

Here's one a fellow I know has

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:45 pm

I love the looks of these dogs, great pic! Hear they are a bit hard headed by nature...true/false?

QuillGordon

Post by QuillGordon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 am

Thats a fine looking hound

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:08 am

Onk wrote:I love the looks of these dogs, great pic! Hear they are a bit hard headed by nature...true/false?
As with most breeds, some are hard headed, but a good number are natural pleasers or pretty close.
Cairncross Cat Ballou

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:39 pm

http://bearcatsetters.nrsftc.com/

Dr. Boser runs some of the nicest dogs out you will find anywhere. He has won all breed competition on the prairies, in the north east and in the south.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:46 am

Dont you guys know red dogs cant hunt.

This one is new and from Russell. I think I will be looking to Brophy for my next one.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/R ... G_4015.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/R ... G_4104.jpg

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/R ... G_4105.jpg

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:13 am

Russell is a good friend of mine and has produced some nice dogs. I spent about 4 months with her in Canada and on the California circuit picking her brain. Knowledgable woman. She recently new a bitch to a Brophy dog out of California. I'm excited to see these puppies develop.
Thanks for sharing pics.
Cairncross Cat Ballou

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Russell as in Susan?

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:44 pm

Wildweeds wrote:Russell as in Susan?
Yes
Cairncross Cat Ballou

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:46 pm

KwikIrish wrote:Russell is a good friend of mine and has produced some nice dogs. I spent about 4 months with her in Canada and on the California circuit picking her brain. Knowledgable woman. She recently new a bitch to a Brophy dog out of California. I'm excited to see these puppies develop.
Thanks for sharing pics.

I was offered a puppy from this breeding and had to turn it down. Need something more in the summer for timing.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:50 pm

RyanGSP wrote:
KwikIrish wrote:Russell is a good friend of mine and has produced some nice dogs. I spent about 4 months with her in Canada and on the California circuit picking her brain. Knowledgable woman. She recently new a bitch to a Brophy dog out of California. I'm excited to see these puppies develop.
Thanks for sharing pics.

I was offered a puppy from this breeding and had to turn it down. Need something more in the summer for timing.
That's too bad Ryan. I would also take a puppy if the timing and situation were right. She also has a young dog named "John" who I dream of taking off her hands.
Cairncross Cat Ballou

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:41 pm

KwikIrish wrote:
RyanGSP wrote:
Thanks for sharing pics.

That's too bad Ryan. I would also take a puppy if the timing and situation were right. She also has a young dog named "John" who I dream of taking off her hands.
Is that from her Tate x Rumor breedings?

That was the breeding that produced our boy Guiness.

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:00 am

Yes it is. Is that the dog in the pictures?
Cairncross Cat Ballou

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Irish Setters took 1st and 2nd place in a decent sized stake in Texas recently.

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 pm

RyanGSP wrote:
Is that from her Tate x Rumor breedings?

That was the breeding that produced our boy Guiness.
So, you have a Tatertot....... Been a while since I've seen Tate on game. T likes him well enough.
Dan

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:45 am

Here's a couple pics of our two red setters, Robert, and his mother Ruby. The one pic is of my husband with our two red dogs hunting quail in eastern Washington. The other pic is Robert and me hunting ruffed grouse in Sept. (didn't get any that day)

The red setters I know all have extremely lovable, interesting, personalities and are avid hunters. Ours are also house pets and constant companions. I know it will sound typical, but my red guy, Robert, is awesome. I love him to pieces. And, he has NOT been a perfect dog. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RyanGSP

Post by RyanGSP » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:37 am

KwikIrish wrote:Yes it is. Is that the dog in the pictures?

The last 3 links are from the Tate x Rumore breeding.

The pictures posted are of our last girl Bailey.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:49 am

Nice photo's Fran. When Robert breads (lol) Breelie this spring, tell him to take his time and do it just right. Little soft music, nice wine and a good cigar! I hate this waiting!

KwikIrish. Never wait for the right time. The right time is when the pup you want is there and you have the money. I like summer pups and hold them back the first hunting season. But if the pup came along in late winter or early spring, I'd take it and do some re-planning.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:46 am

I've always had a soft spot for Irish Setters and was delighted to have the opportunity to photograph some from Irish lines in France hunting snipe and red-legged partridges last year. I am looking forward to photographing some American-bred dogs in the US this spring/summer and then going to Ireland to photograph some in their native land.

Image Image

More photos (Irish and English setters) here: http://bit.ly/TDkoA9

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Wed May 08, 2013 11:31 am

Thanks for sharing pics.
My new pup is from Susan's Brophy Rio Grande X Russell Kibou. So far this pup is showing great potential, really love what Susan has done with her program.

Hey Ryan I remember you from years ago on Versatiledogs.com Your pictures of your old Irish started me on the path to wanting an irish.