Male vs Female Temperament

DogNewbie

Male vs Female Temperament

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:50 am

I had an interesting conversation with a friend this weekend. He's a lab guy and has a nice male from some pretty impressive lines I guess. He's just a meat dog but his brother-in-law has some of the top labs in the country, so he picked up a dog from one of his litters....anyway, we were talking and he made a comment about how he's more nervous about a female that shows aggression vs. a male. He said that, in his experience, the males are all talk (or growl in this case) but the females will back it up. Curious to see if anyone else has noticed a similar trend?

bb560m

Re: Male vs Female Temperament

Post by bb560m » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:53 am

I agree with that - males will bite a bit maybe, mostly growl and make noises. Females will kill each other.

Females go bonkers in the head around their heat cycle too - no thanks!

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Grew up with a lot of labs. All of our male tended to show more bark than bite. Females did seem to "flip out" more... motherly instinct, heat cycles, etc all play a part IMO. Same as us.....

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:15 pm

bb560m wrote:I agree with that - males will bite a bit maybe, mostly growl and make noises. Females will kill each other.
1000% Couldn't agree more. :|
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:52 pm

"Bitches leave stitches."

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 am

That's really interesting. Thanks for the posts

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 am

AzDoggin wrote:"Bitches leave stitches."
I'm gonna use this quote all the time.

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:50 am

Girls are crazy.

Human and dog.

And I can say that, because I am one. :]
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:05 pm

I have always had female dogs and have never had any problems. When my current dog went through her first heat cycle (she's still a young'n) she was a little insecure and wanted more attention but other than that she was fine. I've heard of instances of all this crazy female stuff but I've never seen it in any of the dogs I've had and I sure wouldn't let it keep me from getting another female in the future.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Gertie wrote:I have always had female dogs and have never had any problems. When my current dog went through her first heat cycle (she's still a young'n) she was a little insecure and wanted more attention but other than that she was fine. I've heard of instances of all this crazy female stuff but I've never seen it in any of the dogs I've had and I sure wouldn't let it keep me from getting another female in the future.
yeah I think I'll only own male dogs more because I'm not breeding dogs and I think the spay/neuter decision is much easier for males vs. females. It is interesting, however, that I do feel like I've encountered more aggressive (as in biting/attacking) male dogs that female dogs. Sounds like others have had different experiences.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:31 pm

I started with females because I feel you have alot more options with females then males.That being said I think the females are more bitchey with males & other females but not as likely to actually fight but once it does happen they get after it & don't forget.My females open their mouths like alligators & sound like they are eating the other dog up but never leave a tooth mark,only slobber.They don't like to be sniffed or climbed on unless they are in season & ready to be bred & this seems to be passed on by Wendy as her female get have the exact same actions.Like my handler Chris Goegan said,Star don't even like another dog looking at her rear!! :lol: but I have never seen her actually bite anything,she is without a doubt the most gentle,loving, & well behaved dog I have ever owned,untill you turn her loose infront of a horse!!

deke

Post by deke » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:13 pm

My male dogs are big wusses compared to my old female,,, that girl was one mean "bleep" She would freak on any dog that tried to play with her. My males will come up with the hair raised, a few sniffs later they forget what they were doing. And i think with labs the older they get, the meaner they get. That is what i have noticed