8wk old Gsp hearing

aferrer30

8wk old Gsp hearing

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:02 pm

So far, from my experience, I picked up my 8wk old Gsp and I couldn't be more excited. I do understand that bringing her to a new environment she will be a ball of curiosity. She is smelling everything and learning where things are. My question is, does a Gsp this small not pay attention to you at all when they first get to their new home? Maybe I'm just freaking out for nothing, I do whistle at her and she won't pay attention. I'm starting to think that she is hard of hearing or maybe her hearing hasn't developed completely. Any suggestions? Thanks for your inputs.

DogNewbie

Re: 8wk old Gsp hearing

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:21 pm

Well for starters she doesn't know what the whistle means. She's still exploring and learning her new environment and it is much more interesting than the whistle sound she hears in the background. She'll come around though.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Hearing kicks in at the same time the eyes open. Try a variety of sounds in an area with limited items of interest and see if she responds. Shorthairs are not a deafness breed, but some are hard of listening.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Im not saying your dogs deaf but any dog with white in the coat carries the gene for deafness.

Test her, especially when she's relaxing with you, or just falling asleep, snap your fingers right behind her head and on each side, see what kind of reaction you get.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

aferrer30

Post by aferrer30 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:32 pm

She hears me snapping, so I guess that worked. Thanks.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:09 pm

I wondered if my dog had trouble seeing and hearing when we brought him home at 7 or 8 weeks. He doesn't, but he does have trouble listening sometimes.

cptn

Post by cptn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Had the same thing happen with mine. Turned out to be aloofness that comes with the uncertainty of a new home. :] I even thought he had trouble seeing because he would stare at the ceiling all the time. Turns out his vision is perfect, and he's just weird. Glad she's hearing okay!
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"