What do you prefer?

cstokes/southeast,ks

What do you prefer?

Post by cstokes/southeast,ks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 pm

In your personal opinion, what is the “perfect” scent conditions? To me I like anytime after the first frost or right before every green’s up in the spring. I like a light breeze, say at like 5 mph. I also like to stay away from any ragweed when training.

3Britts

Re: What do you prefer?

Post by 3Britts » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm

As long as I'm not carrying several pounds of mud on my boots, I'm good.

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 pm

When you get scent conditions figured out get back with me cause I can't make any rhyme or reason out of it, i've come to the conclusion that some days the dogs just pick up scent better than other days
Fester

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:46 pm

Its hard to say, local conditions can have very different impacts.

I believe here for my locale I've come to some conclusions but that doesn't mean they hold water in another locale. In guiding hunts on a daily basis I really
think High pressure with breeze under 20 is about as good as it gets. Here a East wind backs up off the ocean and bays and makes scenting more difficult.
It seems to me, add east winds to a low pressure and it makes it tough on the dog. That said they better find their birds in an allotted amount of time or they
aren't gonna be with me for long. I do think brains has something to do with scenting, even on bad days , good dogs figure out ways to do their job.

I can't speak for other locales and conditions only what I've experienced.......
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 pm

I live in the mountains and the early morning up hill thermals are hard to beat. You can walk the ridgelines and pick em up.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 pm

In the evenings of a still summer day I have used the downhill thermals for training.

Meller

Post by Meller » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:30 pm

That would determin how often you bath and what kind of deoderant that is used! :mrgreen: