aggression in puppy..... is it a sign of what is to come?

uplandrsb

aggression in puppy..... is it a sign of what is to come?

Post by uplandrsb » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:09 pm

I am looking at a puppy that is about 4 weeks old... I know the owner of the puppies and talking to him he has mentioned that one of the pups growls at the other around water , food, toys etc.. like I said the pups are only 4 months old. A week ago the one puppy attacked the other puppy over a bone and if they hadn't been pulled off each other they may have killed each other... Both were bloody and cut... The one puppy looks like he tried to back down or stop but the other kept going.. I have not seen this in puppies this age...

Has anyone seen this? I am guessing the one will not be able to be around other males as they older.. or will he grow out of it?

JIM K

Re: aggression in puppy..... is it a sign of what is to come?

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:57 pm

uplandrsb wrote:I am looking at a puppy that is about 4 weeks old... I know the owner of the puppies and talking to him he has mentioned that one of the pups growls at the other around water , food, toys etc.. like I said the pups are only 4 months old. A week ago the one puppy attacked the other puppy over a bone and if they hadn't been pulled off each other they may have killed each other... Both were bloody and cut... The one puppy looks like he tried to back down or stop but the other kept going.. I have not seen this in puppies this age...

Has anyone seen this? I am guessing the one will not be able to be around other males as they older.. or will he grow out of it?
leave pup with mother no earlier than 8 weeks old.
then get pup in with other dogs his size .like at kennel .

see if you can see mother/father. if one bites so will pups.

SCT

Re: aggression in puppy..... is it a sign of what is to come?

Post by SCT » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 pm

Yes, very likely, it is a sign of what's to come. Could be a dominance issue, but he will probably be mean around his food. I've seen it before and being protective of his food is not the end of the world.