I think we need to get rid of our britt...

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: I think we need to get rid of our britt...

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:13 pm

Karen wrote:Pete DeAngelis is in Slatington, PA and trains hunting dogs. His website is http://www.longviewkennels.com He's not THAT far from you.

If you can stick it out until late December, Jeanette Tracy does a great job with hunting dogs & pups, but she does head south for 2 1/2 months every winter, so you'd need to be willing to commit to that length of time. PM me for her contact information

Dog Sense is a training center in the Lancaster and are that is supposed to be really good (I've known one of their trainers for several years...she's quite good). Here's their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dog-Se ... 1842596778

Lynda Martin of Carrollton Brittanys is in Carlisle, PA and is a certified behaviorist and trainer http://www.carrolltonsbrits.com/gpage7.html
Awesome post with more solutions :D
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

topher40 wrote:I didnt threaten anyone, only stated my emotional reaction to a poorly decision. :wink:
Just seemed a little ignorant if you ask me. So I thought I could do something that's more overwhelming then I though. I'm a very successful person as far as life goes. Just because someone can do something, doesn't mean another can. It's like me saying do you have a house, wife, and kids? If not I would like to punch you in the face! College degree? Punch in the face... Make at least $80k a year by yourself? Punch in the face... There is no call for it when someone made a decision that may have been the wrong one. I don't do that often... I always usually do my research before I commit. Which is why I am here.... A little late.... But I'm here.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Easiest option : Cough up the money for a field trial trainer.

Second option : sell the dog

Hardest option: wake up an hour early, buy good running shoes, start running the dog before you go to work. There are many benifits to this for you and the dog. I know it sounds drastic (running or jogging) but you can also benefit. Loosing weight and being in shape is not a slam dunk but if you made the choice to get the dog, it already pulls as you walk it, and has a lot of "go" , it will be your best option.

I already run 6-12 miles 4-6 days a week with my two year old GSP and now make a trip back home for the four month old so he can run two miles. Every day I wake up and know I will be running it kills me but its worth it to have two worn out dogs for a day or two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:37 pm

One more solution:

There is a bird dog club in your area, the York Pointer and setter club. I think the town it is located in is Rossville. Contact the secretary and join the club. You will have plenty of room to exercise your youngster and yourself. There are probably a dozen members of that club who have thirty to forty years experience with training bird dogs to the very highest levels. If you went there, joined, and asked for help, I am pretty sure you would be offered all the help that the dog needed.

For what it is worth... I raised bird dogs(pointers) in the suburbs for about forty years. The biggest piece of property was 100X 125. It can be done if you really want to. No it is not easy, but yes it can be done. The first pup I raised on that property was a hunting dog. At the time I had a newborn baby and was attending graduate school at night in addition to holding down a full time day job. Just a little busy you could say.

Oh yeah...The last pup I raised on that 100X125 homesite(after grad school was done) was RU Puppy of the year in NJ in her puppy season. That is American Field HORSEBACK puppy of the year and it was a pointer. They do run a bit and are somewhat energetic. I did that with her, training her on foot, since I did not own a horse or 4 wheeler at the time. It can be done.

Take a deep breath, figure out what it is you really want to do, and then go get it done. Good luck to you and please do the best you can for your dog.

RayG

cjj

Post by cjj » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Saltfisher The offer still stands Bring him over too play with my britt I have some birds a big field and a 10 month old britt with the same energy yours does I hate too tell you but my last britt never did slow down till he got sick at 11 years old so you are either in it for the long hall or get out wile the pup is still young Just think about all the time you spend on your computer you could be out running you dogs THE OFFER STILL STANDS

TraditionsGSPs2010

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:49 pm

saltfisher wrote: I'm a very successful person as far as life goes. Just because someone can do something, doesn't mean another can.
I think you should have added, "as long as it doesn't require any extra effort". I know you are new to this forum and am glad you have chosen it to ask for advise. I have to tell you, I have read quite a few posts asking for help here over the last couple of years and I do not ever remember seeing this much effort by the community spent on trying to help someone. I applaud everyone!

To the OP: You a going to have to suck it up a bit. I wish I had been given such generous advise when I picked up my first dog. It was a crazy pointer who hated every other furry creature on the planet. We made it work for 9 years. No advise given here so far is going to do you any good unless you choose to act on it.
David Hughes
Traditions Shorthairs

The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 pm

cjj wrote:Saltfisher The offer still stands Bring him over too play with my britt I have some birds a big field and a 10 month old britt with the same energy yours does I hate too tell you but my last britt never did slow down till he got sick at 11 years old so you are either in it for the long hall or get out wile the pup is still young Just think about all the time you spend on your computer you could be out running you dogs THE OFFER STILL STANDS
This sounds like a super start...
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

sdsujacks

Post by sdsujacks » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:21 pm

The way I look at it you have from 2:30-6pm every day to work the dog. Every grown man has chores, responsibilities, and other things that they need to do. It looks like a lot of that time is spent preparing food, try some crockpot meals? That will free up a large amount of time in the evening and you can eat when you are done with everything else. Push dinner back to 6:30, cut down on the daughters tv time, run errands every third day instead of every other day, etc. There are plenty of options, no they don't always work but nobody ever said life was easy. If you want the dog bad enough you can make it work, it will take a month to adjust to your new schedule, then life will be perfect again.

Train him briefly (5 mins) in the morning on obedience. Run him when you get home, maybe just 30 mins every other day and an hour on the weekends or something. It doesn't take a lot of time, but you can't have a bird dog or a calm dog without working it out.

I live a different life than you, it took a lot of adjusting on my schedule when I decided to get my lab 4 months ago. For the first 2 weeks or so, yeah it was a big toll on me, loss of sleep, then eventually we got into a routine, I learned about him, he learned about me. Ive discovered that he can go an entire day without me if my work schedule demands it but I better make sure he gets good exercise at least 2 out of 3 days.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:38 pm

@ the original poster, is there anything you like enough about this dog to justify the amount of time, money and inconvenience people are suggesting you invest?
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:46 pm

I think the title of this thread kind of sums it up. It takes a big heart to know when to quit. Do what is best for the pup.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:30 pm

I have never had to devote as much time to ANY of my bird dogs like people are suggesting! I must be lucky! :D

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:50 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I have never had to devote as much time to ANY of my bird dogs like people are suggesting! I must be lucky! :D
Sensationalize everything... also the American way...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:40 pm

I bought a 5 month old from a pet store because I didn/t know any better and felt badly for him. He had "AKC papers". He never matured normally , turned into a fear biter and i finally put him down at age 2 , at my vet's recommendation. Turned out he had come from a puppy mill in Missouri.

Some things can't be fixed. Those first 5 months are crucial. Even a good owner can't make that up. How old was the dog when he was first bought?

PS In my case the pups were shipped to a broker in Michigan at 5 weeks,( all shipped in an orange crate) to save money. He spent 4 months in a per store window in Niagara Falls before shipped to London. When I bought him , at 5 months, he had never been outside.

edited
Last edited by Sharon on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:46 pm

Elkhunter wrote:I have never had to devote as much time to ANY of my bird dogs like people are suggesting! I must be lucky! :D
thats the difference. I like to devote the time with them, clearly you "have to".

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:47 pm

Sharon wrote:I bought a 5 yearold from a pet store because I didn/t know any better and felt badly for him. He had "AKC papers". He never matured normally , turned into a fear biter and i finally put him down at age 2 , at my vet's recommendation. Turned out he had come from a puppy mill...
I think you meant 5 month old?
What a shame :(
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 pm

V-John wrote:
thats the difference. I like to devote the time with them, clearly you "have to".
LOL V-john, I spend TONS of time with my dog. Just got back from a 4 day road trip to WY chasing birds to kick off the season. Headed to a trial this Saturday, hunting again the following Thursday then every weekend till the hunt is over in Feb if the wife will let me! :D

They get to do this a few times a week till Feb! Poor dogs, like I tell my wife... I "have" to.... :)
Poor hounds..

I am just saying my dogs are very well behaved I guess, never have the drama that seems to beset lots of birddoggers. I did have an escape artist that used to stress me out, but that is about it! If I did not enjoy the time with my dogs I would of got rid of them ALONG time ago... :D

V-John

Post by V-John » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 am

Elkhunter wrote:
I am just saying my dogs are very well behaved I guess, never have the drama that seems to beset lots of birddoggers. I did have an escape artist that used to stress me out, but that is about it! If I did not enjoy the time with my dogs I would of got rid of them ALONG time ago... :D
This sounds much better than the quote that I quoted earlier.

I hunt a lot too. As much as a teacher's schedule will allow. I also trial some.
But the other six months of the year, we are doing stuff too. I know a lot of guys that hunt a lot, and then for the other six months, or nine months or whatever, let their dogs just sit in their kennels. Or get them out to train and then put up. Mine don't.
They sleep in bed with me as well. Yeah, it get's a bit crazy but... That's all part of the enjoyment I guess.

Just out of curiousity, were you REALLY laughing out loud?

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:40 am

[quote="Sharon"]I bought a 5 month old from a pet store because I didn/t know any better and felt badly for him. He had "AKC papers". He never matured normally , turned into a fear biter and i finally put him down at age 2 , at my vet's recommendation. Turned out he had come from a puppy mill in Missouri.

Some things can't be fixed. Those first 5 months are crucial. Even a good owner can't make that up. How old was the dog when he was first bought?

I have an EP that just turned 3... She was a leftover runt that was 8 months old when I had her given to me by the breeder... He was going to put her down. She had NO socialization and was a complete basket case! Gun shy, fear biter, and an all out psyco... took us several months just to house break her... a ton of time, but... she now hunts, and is an absoulute hilarious addition to our family. It's all about consistant patience. You have to be dedicated to the end result, and It takes time. We are a very busy family... 2 kids in three sports each, I coach, Church, work a swing shift... ect... but the whole family has to be committed to endoctrinating the dog into the rules of the house hold. You will get the result that you have worked for. The first 5 months ARE crucial! I agree 100% Sharon, and some dogs may be a lost cause... but not all of them. I myself am very suprised and pleased with our EP now. Wouldn't trade her. 8) This is not a case of building a field trial dog... it is about a pet. Is your family is better off with a lap dog or a high energy bird dog?.. Salt... you just have to decide if the dog is worth the effort it will take for you and your family.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:13 am

KwikIrish wrote:
Sharon wrote:I bought a 5 yearold from a pet store because I didn/t know any better and felt badly for him. He had "AKC papers". He never matured normally , turned into a fear biter and i finally put him down at age 2 , at my vet's recommendation. Turned out he had come from a puppy mill...
Go ahead, check the post again. Sharon did say 5 months. It must be your eyes getting too old to read. Hope it get better. :wink:

Swagg

Post by Swagg » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:44 am

It was a few posts ago but get yourself an invisible fence. they are amazing. take the time to train him to the fence and get him running around the yard. I run my springer on one and love it. My brother has one as does my mom. i can take my dog to either place and the fence works perfect. love them....

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:55 am

3Britts wrote:
KwikIrish wrote:
Go ahead, check the post again. Sharon did say 5 months. It must be your eyes getting too old to read. Hope it get better. :wink:
Go back and look. We all know she meant 5 months.
I'm 26, I hope my eyes aren't there yet :(
Aww man, she edited it! Nice try though 3B :wink:
Last edited by KwikIrish on Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 am

Saltfisher...I took my pup rollerblading yesterday after work. I timed it for you to see how long it took him to pull me for 5 miles....30mins. That's it. Full sprint for 90% of the time. He's worn out in 30mins. And he loves it. Do that every other day and you'll see improvements. That's only 2 - 3 hours a week that you are spending working the dog. Obedience in the house will still be constant for a little while, but the pup wont be looking to get his energy out in other ways anymore.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 am

V-John wrote:
Elkhunter wrote:
This sounds much better than the quote that I quoted earlier.

I hunt a lot too. As much as a teacher's schedule will allow. I also trial some.
But the other six months of the year, we are doing stuff too. I know a lot of guys that hunt a lot, and then for the other six months, or nine months or whatever, let their dogs just sit in their kennels. Or get them out to train and then put up. Mine don't.
They sleep in bed with me as well. Yeah, it get's a bit crazy but... That's all part of the enjoyment I guess.

Just out of curiousity, were you REALLY laughing out loud?
Yes I was! Anyone who knows me knows that my dogs live the good life.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:40 am

Elkhunter wrote:Anyone who knows me knows that my dogs live the good life.
:lol: Apparently, your reputation hasn't quite gone national yet? :D

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:31 am

AzDoggin wrote:
I need a publicist!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Elkhunter wrote:
AzDoggin wrote:
I need a publicist!
I'm sure that's it. Should be a few available about mid-November!

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks guys. I just staked him outside for awhile and we played fetch on a 25ft cord. Earlier today I took him to state game lands and let him walk around the fields for about an hour sniffing everything he came upon. I wish I could take him off the leash and just let him run. He doesn't come unless there are treats. Same for sit and lay down. Only with treats or when he is at the front door waiting to go outside.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:41 pm

Get a shock collar, he will come when called.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:28 pm

Then for now keep the treats going, but give some (good boy first then the treat) that way the good boy gets related to treat and you can eventually get him off the treat. You need to engrain that good things happen when I go to the boss.

I have had mine since 8 weeks (just over 7 months now) I start just about every off leash walk with a few treated "here's" even now. I need to do the e-collar intro to finish "here" he does blow me off sometimes (busy playing with another dog at off leash etc) and can get a little far away in the field. One thing I noticed after I overlayed a 3 blast whistle for here, he responded better to the whistle than a verbal here. The only other comman he knows is kennel and all I have to do is reach for the cookie box and the boy is dashing to the kennel. At first I had to push him in,gently, but gave a treat every time, it paid off in spades.

Insert that don't give a command you can't enforce advice, if the pup is distracted don't scream here over and over, just get him. oh it is ok to run him with the check cord still on, and while he is unreliable it's pretty much required.

If your puppy is food orientated use it, just cut the equivalent of food out for the day.

For me an my family going to pupy class was worth it, since we had no experience with a dog, I was also lucky to have some co-workers that are big dog people.

Games to play

"The name game"
With 2 or three of you take turns calling the pups name, when they come over give love first then and treat, gradually expand the distance.

A two person variant and very useful early in the recall training.
while one of you holds the pup the other passes a trreat past the pups nose then backs up a short distance.
person 2 calls here, person 1 releases immediatly give love and treat.
Inverse roles and gradually increase distance.

asc

Post by asc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:35 am

Elkhunter wrote:
V-John wrote:
LOL V-john, I spend TONS of time with my dog. Just got back from a 4 day road trip to WY chasing birds to kick off the season. Headed to a trial this Saturday, hunting again the following Thursday then every weekend till the hunt is over in Feb if the wife will let me! :D

They get to do this a few times a week till Feb! Poor dogs, like I tell my wife... I "have" to.... :)

Poor hounds..

Awful nice of you to buy a short tail dog to tote all the birds that long tail dog finds.... :mrgreen: :) :)
Good whiskey,good dogs, no BS!

Meades

Post by Meades » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:43 pm

Saltfisher,
Google (the springer) bolts to your bike.get a harness hook pup up and away you ,2 of my dogs will pull me for 12-14 min before I have to peddle.with young pupits best to help them ,but they are spent in 30 mins or less?Im sure your daughter loves to ride bikes?It works great I even can do 2 dogs at once one heck of a ride!
good luck,
Mike

mm

Post by mm » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:27 am

I saw posts about biking, jogging, and even roller blading and these are all good. If I may offer a sugestion get a harness and when you walk him let him pull as much as he wants. I do this with mine and they love it and it really wears them out. It is a simple solution and you can wear them out fast. The invisiable fence is a good cheap sugestion I have the pet safe model and it was less then $200 and its been in about 7 years. The dogs learn fast but take the full time to ingrain the training. Last crate train the dog the right way so there is a safe easy place to put the dog when you are busy. There are a lot of posts on here with instructions on how to do this. It is true that to get all this done right will take about a month and there will be some hard times especially during the crate training however if you want the dog it will be worth it. I can tell you the dog will pay you back a 100 times over I have two Britts and they have become such a big part of our lives I could never be without them and my first one was a nightmare as a pup energy energy energy. Good luck
MM

LarryLowell

I think we need to get rid of our britt...

Post by LarryLowell » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:25 am

you said:
" I would not say "excuses". If I didn't think I could do it, I would have never gotten him. I knew it would take some time, but wasn't planning on it taking 95% of it. "

The pups not taking up 95% of your time. He's in a crate all day. Out of the 3 hrs you mentioned between 3-6, your just not willing to give up a 3rd of it. Your trying to please you wife, and so be it. If you don't have the time ? give the poor pup a break and give him to someone that has the time and space for him. Pups aren't things we collect to act cool or to prove to our buddy's that we're men because I have a huntin dog.

Let's get real, you know you can go buy a dog kennel in most any size from 6x6 to 10x10, to 12x12, to 5x12 etc... Leaving the pup in the crate all day sucks, then you complaining that he has to much energy and takes up to much of your precious time, that's a sad excuse. If you don't have the time to watch tv with your child, and cook dinner for you wife, and cater to her before she goes to bed, then why keep the pup ? Save the pup more misery and find him a better home .

You've had the pup a week or maybe two by now, and hes driving you nuts, complaining that your poor hamster, cat and, wife are being tormented is just excuses, you picked a high desire driven, greedy, gamey , Birddog for goodness sake, dude , make some choices and live with them. You remind me of the song that talks about you that goes something like:

"it's all about me, it's all about I, it's all about a number one me oh my .............. Because its all about me.

Children need love, time, and commitment, so do pups. Puppy's aren't things and stuff you collect, they aren't yard art or a piece of home furniture. Your kid isn't expected to go from 6 years old out into the work force and be productive in society , why expect your 5 month old, caged up all day pup to be perfect ? You have to much expectation and assumed to much. If your going to keep the pup make it work, figure it out, "Just Do It" , " Suck It Up" , or place the pup in the right home.

Your excuses are weak, my pups in a crate all day and he has to much energy when I let him out, and then he takes up to much of my house wife chores., Really ??? Duh !!! Dogs are a commitment just like kids, life's not perfect and at times you want to kill them, but in the end you find your life was better because of them.

Your a man, successful or not doesn't matter, make a choice and live with it.

My advice but a dog kennel, after dinner let the pup out and be part of the family, then crate him up at night , pretty simple.

Larry Lowell

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 am

I think that some on this site need to remember that we are here to help each other and not to simply show how superior we are to others.

That being said, a kennel would be a good idea as it would allow the pup to move about during the day. Just remember to get a top for it as many Britts can and will climb.

Good luck with your pup and don't worry about those who choose to shred rather than help, most want to help.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:54 am

I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. My daughter now wants to do after school sports now so that's going to be another thing to do. Excuses or not, it is what it is. So my daughters sports will now be a "excuse" too now I guess? So If your buddy ask you to go hunting after work, what "excuse" do you use?

BigBoyTank

Post by BigBoyTank » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:01 am

At least one of you needs to be committed to the responsibility of owning a dog, never mind a high energy dog like a Britt. I'm sure every person on this site is busy, but some are making time right now just trying to help. It's something that's in your bones or it isn't and frankly it doesn't sound like your there. It doesn't make you wrong or bad, but we find time to do the things we love. In my personal opinion, get the dog into a new home and maybe the 3rd times the charm for him. Good luck with whatever you decide.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am

BigBoyTank wrote:At least one of you needs to be committed to the responsibility of owning a dog, never mind a high energy dog like a Britt. I'm sure every person on this site is busy, but some are making time right now just trying to help. It's something that's in your bones or it isn't and frankly it doesn't sound like your there. It doesn't make you wrong or bad, but we find time to do the things we love. In my personal opinion, get the dog into a new home and maybe the 3rd times the charm for him. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Very well said.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Send him to me for Boot Camp. I will send updates through this forum and if you decide at some point that you want him back, he's yours. He will train, hunt and guide with me. If he doesn't develop into something that you want then I will make sure he's healthy and happy.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:01 pm

BigBoyTank wrote:At least one of you needs to be committed to the responsibility of owning a dog, never mind a high energy dog like a Britt. I'm sure every person on this site is busy, but some are making time right now just trying to help. It's something that's in your bones or it isn't and frankly it doesn't sound like your there. It doesn't make you wrong or bad, but we find time to do the things we love. In my personal opinion, get the dog into a new home and maybe the 3rd times the charm for him. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yep. Owning a working dog is no small thing. I'm not proud of it, but I had to re-home my Brittany when my son was about 3. My wife and I worked long hours, lived in town, had two kiddos. Not saying owning a working dog cannot be done under these circumstances - it just took superman to do it, and I'm no superman. Found the dog a fabulous new family living next to the desert, and the dog lived an excellent life. Life goes on. In my case, it was short-sighted of me to get the pup with all of the other things we had going on...

Saltfisher, next time you think about getting another hunter, here's an article that might help you sort through whether you are ready: http://vommoorehaus.com/how_to_buy_a_gun_dog.php

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:04 pm

You have no clue about who and what you are talking about. You can go on a dog behavior web forum to get the answer you were looking for but you came on a hunting dog forum with people who dedicate a large amount of time to various hunting breeds that most people buy because they see them and think they look pretty or hear rumors that they are pretty calm. Sorry we don't pat you on the back and say everything will be better tomorrow. You made a choice to buy the dog and are now regretting it.

Give the dog back to the breeder or sell it but get rid of it soon so It can establish a bond with the new owner and learn to be a puppy. Just hope you learned your lesson and don't repeat it multiple times looking for that perfect puppy.

Glad you have such a wonderful family life and you should enjoy it. I traded in my wife for the dog and haven't regretted it since (btw she (the ex) makes a whole lot more than you since that's the rout you took with others). You have to make your own choices and live by them and not look for everyone's approval or fight their opinion of you. I guess you found your answer and by the way you describe the dog post a pedigree and picture under the dogs for sale in the classified section of this forum and it will be gone sooner than you think. Some of us like a dog like you described.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm

That's good.

He will be posted locally.

When people come at me with words, they get them back. It's simple. So I made a mistake... Who doesnt? You want to put me down because of it? Well I'm sure my comebacks will be better.

Thank you Larry for making my work day better. :)

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:23 pm

saltfisher wrote:That's good.

He will be posted locally.

When people come at me with words, they get them back. It's simple. So I made a mistake... Who doesnt? You want to put me down because of it? Well I'm sure my comebacks will be better.

Thank you Larry for making my work day better. :)
Ok, so you've made the decision to rehome? I must have missed that. No shame in that. Sounds like it's what needed to be done. Good luck and I hope you find a great home for the pup.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 pm

Offer still stands. I would even run him in puppy stakes if you entered him.

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Ill pay what it takes to get the dog to me if you are willing.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:31 pm

We are posting him locally for $400 for a quick sale to a good home.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Sounds like the situation has been solved whther it is the way any of you would have done it or not. Since the whole thread has deteriated into every one critizing the OP poster and not offereing much in the way of solutions the thread will be locked so we can move on to other things.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.