I think we need to get rid of our britt...

saltfisher

I think we need to get rid of our britt...

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:30 am

Yes it's true.... I think we expected a less hyper dog. He is 5 months old and only had him a week. He is wearing me, my wife, and the 6 year old down. We wish we had a fenced in yard, but we don't. We have a yard, but it's not fenced. My wife told me today it's like we haven't seen each other all week because of being occupied with the pup. We walk him every night which she really can't, because he pulls her all over. So I do it... And with our 6 year old daughter, the pup is wearing us down. Didn't realize it was going to be more work then having a 6 year old in the house. Don't worry.... I will make sure he goes to a great home!!!!! I'll miss him.

bb560m

Re: I think we need to get rid of our britt...

Post by bb560m » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 am

saltfisher wrote:Yes it's true.... I think we expected a less hyper dog. He is 5 months old and only had him a week. He is wearing me, my wife, and the 6 year old down. We wish we had a fenced in yard, but we don't. We have a yard, but it's not fenced. My wife told me today it's like we haven't seen each other all week because of being occupied with the pup. We walk him every night which she really can't, because he pulls her all over. So I do it... And with our 6 year old daughter, the pup is wearing us down. Didn't realize it was going to be more work then having a 6 year old in the house. Don't worry.... I will make sure he goes to a great home!!!!! I'll miss him.
The dog is controlling you, you are not controlling him. He has already realized that. If he's pulling on the leash he has you beat.

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:41 am

Only a week? I'd probably give it more time, teach manners, and reward for quiet behavior.

If he ever slows down and decides to sleep or lie down, treat him (just drop it in front of him and walk away so he doesn't get riled up), give him a cool, new chew, or praise him with a few quiet pets. Even the most hyper dogs can be taught to settle down.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

SCT

Post by SCT » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:43 am

Pinch collar. Teach heel and take him to a park. All hunting dogs need a yard to play in, a park can be a good substitute. Get him out in the open country, sounds like you weren't thinking it trough when you decided to get a hunting dog.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 am

He did that from day one. No matter what we do, he keeps pulling. I think not being able to just let him run, all that energy builds up. Not only that, but night time is a problem too. He eventually lays down but he thinks we want to play, or takes picture frames off the end tables and runs off with them an chews them. Then barks. I would put him in the crate, but he whines and barks all night and that can't happen with our daughter sleeping to get up for school. Just to many things to work with that pervious owner didnt do. I think having him run in a fenced yard would help a lot. Anything we can try for one last resort? We were talking about a trainer...

He did however point a rabbit last night.

:(

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 pm

You were not prepared for this dog and I don't think you will resolve the situation because you have a problem for every solution. If you don't have a nearby home available, then I would suggest contacting the national breed rescue.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Where are you located?
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:38 pm

PA. Lancaster county.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Try contacting http://www.wildmtnbrittanys.com/ and see if they might be able to help you and your pup or know someone closer to you that can help you one way or another
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Good suggestion Knine!

cjj

Post by cjj » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey Saltfisher I think you live near me I am in douglassville Pa I have a 10 month old britt I run every day in are field or he would drive me crazy too If you want to bring him over pm me we can let the 2 of them go crazy I can help you with him if you want My britt is going very well Let me know

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:18 pm

First off, there are many different approaches to this that you can take....these are just my thoughts on your situation so you can take them how you wish.

Number one, LAY DOWN THE LAW. If he grabs a picture frame, punish him. Make sure he doesn't want to do it again. That might require something as easy as carrying a squirt bottle around with you and spraying him in the face every time he misbehaves or it could require a more tough approach like shaking the pup by the scruff of his neck or pinning the pup to the ground. If you have to pin the pup, don't flip him on his back, simply push the pups back down forcing him to lay down. The first few times the pup will really fight you to keep this from happening and it is important that you win those battles and establish your dominance. Don't teach the pup that he can avoid punishment by resisting it. If you don't want him to bark, do the same thing. Maybe try grasping his muzzle and putting pressure on his gums by squeezing them into his teeth. Always punish calmly yet firmly since sometimes yelling or making a big fuss only increases the behavior since the pup becomes anxious. I believe punishment should be more physical than vocal. By no means should any of this punishment be physically harming the pup. Just making him uncomfortable enough where he will no longer wish to do whatever behavior results in punishment.

Second, maybe check out an electric fence system for the backyard. Shouldn't break your wallet. If you can't get the pup free running exercise because of where you live, buy a harness and some rollerblades and have the pup pull you. It's a good way to work the dog and it doesn't take much time. Remember a tired pup is a good pup.

Third, crate the dog at night. Do not give any attention to whining or barking in the crate. Pup needs to learn that only laying down and being calm and quiet gets him out of the crate. This may take a couple weeks of restless nights, but it'll be well worth it and the pup will come to love the crate.

Fourth, remember that you aren't dealing with a 6yo child that can be reasoned with through conversation and explaining why bad behavior is bad....this is a pup going through it's terrible twos and it can only learn through cause and effect. Repetition and consistency will result in a great family member in the end.

Finally, get everyone in the family on the same page for all this. If everybody has differing expectations and punishing methods for the pup, it'll fix nothing and only result in a confused dog and frustrated family. Good luck!

Tim

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:49 pm

Have you contacted the breeder?

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:51 pm

DogNewbie wrote: Finally, get everyone in the family on the same page for all this. If everybody has differing expectations and punishing methods for the pup, it'll fix nothing and only result in a confused dog and frustrated family. Good luck!
This always seems to be the tricky part.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:57 pm

...I am thinking this is a lot of moving parts and pieces to get going the same direction. I wasn't hearing how do i make this work? I am hearing "I don't like the characteristics of a sporting dog and or I don't have a situation or family tolerance for the deal." In that case, I think the original poster is doing the right thing in finding a new home. Casey sorta nailed it...There will be a new problem for every solution and that's no slight on the OP...it doesn't sound like the family is ready and that's a disservice to the dog.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm going to try the advice givin. I'm going to lay down the law a little more and see if that helps. Seems the "no's" are not working, or they work for that time, and he does te same thing over and over. I'm going to try pushing him down like said in a earlier post.

My daughter has a pet hamster and he is always at the cage taunting it. The no's work, but in 2 minutes he is back at the cage. I let him go figure it may teach him a lesson, and it bit his nose through the cage. He did bleed a little as it was just a tiny scratch. But he kept going back. Since I read about pushing him down.... I been doing that. It seems to be working...

I hope we can make this work, and looking into the invisible fence. Do they really work well with britts?

I am also doing alot of research on getting him to settle down at bed time. I think a good running or playing outside would help a lot. My wife just told me there was a small wet spot on the carpet this morning, so I guess he is still not 100% potty trained.

Another reason I didn't want to crate him at night, is because he will be in there during the day while we work. Seemed a little much to me for him to be in there. Or am I wrong?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Chukar12 wrote:...I am thinking this is a lot of moving parts and pieces to get going the same direction. I wasn't hearing how do i make this work? I am hearing "I don't like the characteristics of a sporting dog and or I don't have a situation or family tolerance for the deal." In that case, I think the original poster is doing the right thing in finding a new home. Casey sorta nailed it...There will be a new problem for every solution and that's no slight on the OP...it doesn't sound like the family is ready and that's a disservice to the dog.
I think you're right in that there are a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but I also think there is one piece that will make it all come together. EXERCISE!!! Get that pup tired and I think the rest will follow. It does sound like the OP is leaning more towards getting rid of the pup, but it has only been a week and it sounds like the pup has got little to no exercise. An on leash walk in the park, even when pulling, isn't close to the kinda exercise the pup needs. If the OP finds a way to fit in the appropriate exercise into his families schedule, chances are good that they'll have a completely different, well behaved pup on their hands. It may be worth it to the OP to try it out. If he can't find the time, however, you're right...wrong breed. Get a lap dog.

I bought rollerblades about 6months late....Wish I had bought some much sooner. I live in the city with a tiny backyard and it wasn't fun to get home from work and drive 30mins to exercise the pup for an hour and drive another 30mins home. In contrast, I can strap on rollerblades and have a tired dog in 30 - 40 mins.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:54 pm

saltfisher wrote:I'm going to try the advice givin. I'm going to lay down the law a little more and see if that helps. Seems the "no's" are not working, or they work for that time, and he does te same thing over and over. I'm going to try pushing him down like said in a earlier post.

My daughter has a pet hamster and he is always at the cage taunting it. The no's work, but in 2 minutes he is back at the cage. I let him go figure it may teach him a lesson, and it bit his nose through the cage. He did bleed a little as it was just a tiny scratch. But he kept going back. Since I read about pushing him down.... I been doing that. It seems to be working...

I hope we can make this work, and looking into the invisible fence. Do they really work well with britts?

I am also doing alot of research on getting him to settle down at bed time. I think a good running or playing outside would help a lot. My wife just told me there was a small wet spot on the carpet this morning, so I guess he is still not 100% potty trained.

Another reason I didn't want to crate him at night, is because he will be in there during the day while we work. Seemed a little much to me for him to be in there. Or am I wrong?
Looks like we posted our previous posts at the same time. Glad to hear you're not throwing in the towel yet (not that it's a bad thing to do if it's the right situation.) I think at this point the key is getting that dog tired right after you get home from work. That way the pup will be well behaved the rest of the night. If you're not thinking the rollerblade idea is right for you, maybe try finding a park near you that you can let the dog run off lease for a while. You could bring your daughter with you and it could become the fun thing you guys do together after school/work. Just make sure the pup has good recall. In the winter I take my pup to the empty football fields at the school by my house. There are lights that stay on for the ice rink and it's a big enough space that he can stretch his legs out and run. Plus, we work on retrieving at the same time. Makes it fun for the pup.

As for crating at night, he's sleeping either way if he'd tired. Shouldn't be a problem.

Tim

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Sounds good. I have not contacted the breeder, and was even thinking that.

Now as far as having him run off leash... I have not takin him off the leash outside yet since it has not been long that we have had him. Any ideas?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Put the hamster where he can't interact with it or you will regret it. As far as an area to run, tennis courts are good.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:Put the hamster where he can't interact with it or you will regret it. As far as an area to run, tennis courts are good.
And they're funny! It's a little slippery for the pup so they skid around the corners.

brittfans

Post by brittfans » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:19 pm

like every one else said you have to take this pup for a run every day after work.they have to much energy at that age to listen.I use a light weight check cord and let them drag it .I cant imagine any of my dogs not being inf actuated with the hamster. that is one battle I wouldn't try I would put it up so the pup couldn't see it.

volraider

Post by volraider » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Roll up a newspaper and give him a good thumping. Keep a newspaper handy, it doesn't hurt them but the noise scares them to death.

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm going to tell the wife after dinner we will go to the park. The tennis court is a good idea!!!

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:04 pm

The bad news: YES, it is an investment. And it may not get much easier for 1-2 years depending on the bloodlines and your families abilities.

You have a bird dog. They are bred to have energy. From 6 months to 18 months, I was taking my french brittany to the offleash park (40 acre) 2 times a day, 1 hour each time. The worst part was a 15 minute nap was enough to recharge all the batteries. I have a small, fenced backyard, and we still had to get the puppy out to the park if we wanted her even a little tired.
Walking: yes, a pincher collar will help with training to heel, however your puppy is bred to get out ahead of you and find birds. It took me a year to come to that realization. So, I changed my strategy. Since she is either running ahead or stopped to sniff, a longer leash helps with walks. I switched to the 18' leash the obiedence trainer uses to work on distance commands and walking got MUCH easier - though the pinch collar helped with puppy tugging. I found that walking at heel did not wear out my dog, but with the longer leash, she could "hunt" and wear herself out much better.
Getting puppy tired: skates could work (I would have issues with getting toppled/twisted up). Bikes or scooters could also work if you get her used to the idea. One thing I focused on was getting her to play fetch. With fetch and a 40' rope, I could get her some exercise in the park without being off leash (yeah, I was breaking the leash law's length restriction, but people didn't care as long as we were far away).

The good news: this too shall pass, after the storm you will have a wonderful dog for 10+ years.

That said, I agree that some situations can't be made to fit and the right thing to do might be to find a better fitting home for the dog. If you do, it doesn't make you a failure in anyway - it makes you the hero. Also, instead of a puppy, an older dog might fit your family needs better (and give a dog in need of a rescue a new home) - though they will still need exercise. At 2.5 years, my dog is a much different dog than at 1.5. By 5 she might actually be calm more than 30 minutes a day (hey, a guy can dream, can't he?)!

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I sent you a PM. I am also in Lancaster County and maybe I can help.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

cptn

Post by cptn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 pm

I have a six month, high-energy Britt, and I walk/jog him three miles a day, every day. I don't jog the whole way because I don't want to hurt his joints while he's still developing and he's panting pretty hard when we're done. Then, we drive around, and go places, walk casually through town with the family, hit the farmers market after work. Just doing things with family, added to the three miles makes him well-behaved in the house. It doesn't seem like work to drain energy. It becomes fun, and wveryone benefits from the exercise and interaction. If he still has energy at the end of the day, we fetch and retrieve in the living room. Plenty of toys keeps him from biting picture
frames and bothering hamsters, too! :]
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:54 am

2 people on this board in your local area have offered help; I'm pretty sure they're willing to get you and your dog into land where you can run your dog and guidance on basic obedience. Don't ignore those offers, these will be of great benifit to your family and the new dog. Also. I would perfect the art of crate training immediatly. Perhaps a weekend even while the kiddo is at a sleep over. It will help you all. So long as the dog gets proper exercise and time with the family while you are home, crating at night will be an asset.
And obedient dog is a good dog and that makes a happy family.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:20 am

Regardless of whether or not you get help from these guys who have offered to help you, If there are in fact farms in your area, maybe you should take some innitiative to go knock on some doors and ask a farmer or 2 if they would let you run your dog in their fields. I have had 1 farmer ever tell me I couldnt run dogs and ride horses in their field in the winter/fall in 20yrs.

I think its time you did one of 2 things..... either put on your man pants and do what needs to be done, or get rid of the dog. If you cant get a 5mo old dog to act right in your house and are willing to give up after a week you will NEVER have a hunting dog.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:23 am

No place to let the dog run? Go to the nearest farms, start knocking on doors, explain your situation, show them your cute pup, and ask if they have any fields where you can let your dog run. If necessary, offer the farmer a $100 bill. Start with the pup on a 50-foot check cord, until it reliably comes when called.
Trust me, it works. I now have a place where I can train and even dove hunt.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:29 am

I think the issue with the hampster, is he thinks he is looking in a mirror. My GSP does the same thing when he walks past the dishwasher.

Jim

frosso

Post by frosso » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:16 am

saltfisher wrote:Yes it's true.... I think we expected a less hyper dog. He is 5 months old and only had him a week. He is wearing me, my wife, and the 6 year old down. We wish we had a fenced in yard, but we don't. We have a yard, but it's not fenced. My wife told me today it's like we haven't seen each other all week because of being occupied with the pup. We walk him every night which she really can't, because he pulls her all over. So I do it... And with our 6 year old daughter, the pup is wearing us down. Didn't realize it was going to be more work then having a 6 year old in the house. Don't worry.... I will make sure he goes to a great home!!!!! I'll miss him.
If you have only had him a week maybe the breeder can help you find him a new home or one of the board members close by can help. I hope the lesson learned is to research a breed before you buy. Maybe your family's life style can just handle the hamster right now.

A good friend told me once that a dog is like a canary in a coal mine, if your life is too busy for a dog than maybe your life is too busy.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4514

My dog's not spoiled ... I'm just well trained

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am

frosso wrote:
A good friend told me once that a dog is like a canary in a coal mine, if your life is too busy for a dog than maybe your life is too busy.

^^^^ PERFECT!!!! ^^^^

You care if I use this?

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:18 am

Who is the breeder?? This was a pup sold to 1 home, then to another, and now he's flunking out of his 2nd home? Get him back to his breeder, if at all possible!!!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 am

I saw that too Karen, that this is a 2nd home. It's got to be hard for a youngster to ever get adjusted and get in the learning mode, when it keeps getting passed around.

The irony from an earlier post by the OP...
saltfisher wrote:Hey guys, Im proud to say I am picking up a pure bred brittany spaniel on saturday. A lady I met got her in august and they said they realized they dont have the time they thought for the pup, and cant take care of him like he needs to be. He is 4 months old.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:00 am

The dog is not a puppy. It is an adolescent that has had no structure. Not a good beginner dog, especially with a child in the house.

I don't think responders who say take the dog back to the breeder are reading carefully. Lancaster County, PA. The dog could be straight off an Amish puppy farm. The pedigree posted is a homemade job, not certified or from a registry.

As much as I dislike the Draconian policies of many rescues, the rule of No Yard, No Dog is a good one. Nothing worse that a frustrating animal that is constantly underfoot.

I hope there is a happy ending for all, but I don't think it will happen with the dog in the present home.

Runningdog

Post by Runningdog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:02 am

There must be more to this.... with all the advise above and offers give this pup some time because one day the pup will not be a pup and you will look for the spunk he shows now. Turn it into a family time walkin the dog go afield and check out the beautiful fall colors!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am

Runningdog wrote:There must be more to this.... with all the advise above and offers give this pup some time because one day the pup will not be a pup and you will look for the spunk he shows now. Turn it into a family time walkin the dog go afield and check out the beautiful fall colors!
+1

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:25 am

The 1st offer to help, is about an hour from me. Yes I could go there and let me pup play with his, but can't drive an hour all the time to do this. It may work that day, but what about the next day? I also have a part time business making custom plastic baits for bass fishing. I haven't touched it since getting the pup. I haven't had the time. The wife gets home at 6pm. i get home a little before 3pm from work. so I have to get dinner ready untill then, keep a eye on the 6 year old, feed te animals, fill orders for my small business if I have any, plus any runnin around/shopping, shipping packages, etc. we eat at 6. Then my daughter wants to watch her shows on tv. 7pm give her a shower, snack, and ready for bed at 8pm. It's normal and didnt seem like I was very busy, and thought I would have plenty of time to take the pup out for walks, which I do... But realize he needs more then just walking around the town.

My dad had a britt and he even said mine is a lot more "go go go" then his was.

I have the breeders name, and his address is I think it said Missouri? Which I don't understand since I am from pa.

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:30 am

Send me a PM and maybe we can meet some place half way.
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:33 am

Lots of puppy mills in Missouri also. Did the first owner say she purchased him from a pet store? If so, get in touch with ABR (http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org) or NBRA (http://www.nbran.org) to see if they can help with either an owner-assisted placement or take the pup into foster care.

Your other option is get him enrolled in a good obedience class immediately and fence your yard. Just depends how badly you want a dog. It's pretty easy for NBRAN or ABR to rehome a puppy...so don't wait too long. Obnoxious teenagers take more time and work to place.
ImageImage

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:39 am

saltfisher wrote:The 1st offer to help, is about an hour from me. Yes I could go there and let me pup play with his, but can't drive an hour all the time to do this. It may work that day, but what about the next day? I also have a part time business making custom plastic baits for bass fishing. I haven't touched it since getting the pup. I haven't had the time. The wife gets home at 6pm. i get home a little before 3pm from work. so I have to get dinner ready untill then, keep a eye on the 6 year old, feed te animals, fill orders for my small business if I have any, plus any runnin around/shopping, shipping packages, etc. we eat at 6. Then my daughter wants to watch her shows on tv. 7pm give her a shower, snack, and ready for bed at 8pm. It's normal and didnt seem like I was very busy, and thought I would have plenty of time to take the pup out for walks, which I do... But realize he needs more then just walking around the town.

I have the breeders name, and his address is I think it said Missouri? Which I don't understand since I am from pa.
It is quite common for pups to be shipped to different areas of the country

What you might want to do is go and meet up with some of the contacts given to you ...let them give you some hands on ideas which you can in turn structure your time with the pup
Just going for walks is not the answer...walks need to have guidelines ..everytime you put that leash or lead on that is in effect punching the clock...pup doesn't need to be sniffing and pulling trying to do it's own thing..Pup has all day to do it's own thing

You might even consider contacting some one like the link I provided above maybe Brian and Helen can put a little structured time into the pup then you go back to them and they might be able to give you the guidelines to continue on..Just a thought if you do not have all the travel time

Maybe sit down and write a pro and con list and see if a dog really suits your life right now...You will need to invest time no matter what kind of dog you get..a pup with no structure will quickly become out of control ..just like a child will
and it isn't about being a dictator it is about being a leader

here is a link to some stuff I have put together over the years http://www.kninebirddog.com/articles.html the leader and friend and the e collar one both help to give ideas on some structuring of your time with your pup

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:48 am

saltfisher wrote:The 1st offer to help, is about an hour from me. Yes I could go there and let me pup play with his, but can't drive an hour all the time to do this. It may work that day, but what about the next day? I also have a part time business making custom plastic baits for bass fishing. I haven't touched it since getting the pup. I haven't had the time. The wife gets home at 6pm. i get home a little before 3pm from work. so I have to get dinner ready untill then, keep a eye on the 6 year old, feed te animals, fill orders for my small business if I have any, plus any runnin around/shopping, shipping packages, etc. we eat at 6. Then my daughter wants to watch her shows on tv. 7pm give her a shower, snack, and ready for bed at 8pm. It's normal and didnt seem like I was very busy, and thought I would have plenty of time to take the pup out for walks, which I do... But realize he needs more then just walking around the town.

Going once will be worth it for the obedience help. 90% of dog training is training yourself. Sounds like you're a busy guy and if you aren't willing to make some changes to your schedule, I don't see this situation working out. It'll take 30 mins - an hour a day after work to get that pup tired. Bring your daughter with you. I'm sure she loves playing with the pup. I'm sure you love spending time with her. Make it something you look forward to everyday. Talk to those farmers. Get on some land close by. Let the pup run everyday. Buy some rollerblades if that's easier for you. The solutions to your problems have all been posted already. You just need to do it.....or decide that you're not willing to change your schedule and find that pup a permanent home.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

Pete DeAngelis is in Slatington, PA and trains hunting dogs. His website is www.longviewkennels.com He's not THAT far from you.

If you can stick it out until late December, Jeanette Tracy does a great job with hunting dogs & pups, but she does head south for 2 1/2 months every winter, so you'd need to be willing to commit to that length of time. PM me for her contact information

Dog Sense is a training center in the Lancaster and are that is supposed to be really good (I've known one of their trainers for several years...she's quite good). Here's their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dog-Se ... 1842596778

Lynda Martin of Carrollton Brittanys is in Carlisle, PA and is a certified behaviorist and trainer http://www.carrolltonsbrits.com/gpage7.html
ImageImage

KwikIrish

Post by KwikIrish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:33 am

After the list of "things you have going on in your life" and excuses, it's highly probable that you are not the best option for this pup. I would do as the other expierened breeders and owners recommend and contact the breeder and/or breed rescue ASAP. Your lifestyle isn't doing this pup's future and favors.
Happily owned by red heads-
Cairncross Cat Ballou
Donegans Deal Me In (11/25/2008-6/14/2012)

saltfisher

Post by saltfisher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:55 am

KwikIrish wrote:After the list of "things you have going on in your life" and excuses, it's highly probable that you are not the best option for this pup. I would do as the other expierened breeders and owners recommend and contact the breeder and/or breed rescue ASAP. Your lifestyle isn't doing this pup's future and favors.
I would not say "excuses". If I didn't think I could do it, I would have never gotten him. I knew it would take some time, but wasn't planning on it taking 95% of it. I can give him time. But also have to make time for other things as well. I'm trying to make this work, and the wife keeps saying "I can't do this for 2 more years". "She was sayi g today she was falling asleep at her desk working because the lack of sleep." I don't have any problems sleeping, but in the mornin when I leave, he starts scratching at the door when I close it to keep him in and away from the cat in my daughters room.

Don't know if I mentioned that or not, but yes we also have a cat that does not approve of the dog being in the house. My wife loves that cat, and the dog just wants to play. The cat is 9 years old and just wants to lay around. It is declawed, but she puffs up her tail, her eyes get big, and she hisses and swats at the dog. Right now we are keeping the cat in the basement untill nighttime. Then the dog comes in our room, and we let the cat up from the basement. We are trying to get them together some, trying to get them to get along at the same time as everything else.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:33 am

I agree with Topher and Kwik.
(Although, I do love it when guys threaten each other over the interwebz. It's Hilarious. :) )

It seems, as if the OP is looking for a quick and easy fix.

Sadly, in most dog situations there is not quick and easy fix, just time and hard work.

Good luck, I hope you do what's in the best interest of the dog.
We have eight dogs living in the house, and much of our time is devoted to getting the dogs run down, energy wise.

At least 2 hours a night, if not longer. Especially if they find a skunk.
It's just part of the deal I signed up for when I bought the dogs and decided to foster dogs for rescue.

V-John

Post by V-John » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:55 am

topher40 wrote:I didnt threaten anyone, only stated my emotional reaction to a poorly decision. :wink:
Just wait.
When I go to your trial and I don't win, I'm going to punch you in the nose as a reaction to a poor decision.

:D

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:58 am

I wish you were closer I'd love to take him off of your hands.

The energy of my Weim is exhausting to say the least and I am irritated more nights that not with him being crazy hyped up. However, I know if I exercise him, he calms down , so any problems with his stamina are my own fault.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm

are you using a crate.....dog shouldn't take all day to deal with, run him, stake him outside, crate him. You've got options if you think about it some.

Not sure where you are but Pa is full of public lands and state game lands to exercise a dog

Or find him a home willing to deal with him.....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno