Kenneling dogs

Holden

Kenneling dogs

Post by Holden » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I have just registered, and I hope that is ok because I don't own any gun dogs. I was wondering, if it would be possible to get some advice from some members though, if that is ok.

I know a lot of gun dog owners kennel their dogs, and this is something I have never done but that I will be doing soon. I am going to get a large kennel and run for the two dogs, and it will be in the garden. They will be in it during the night, and when I am out. When I am in then they will have the run of the garden too, and occasionally the kitchen. I am planning on getting them gradually used to being in the kennel, first by feeding them in the kennel and then putting them in the kennel after walks etc, and then I will gradually increase the amount of time they are in there. I will start off by putting them out there during the day, and keeping them in the kitchen at night until they are out there all the time. Does this sound ok? Does anyone have any tips to how I can make this as easy as possible?

What is the best way to make it safe and secure? I don't want anyone to be able to get at the dogs while they are alone in there, so I would look at getting some padlocks (the coded ones, not the key ones). Is there anything else that keeps the kennel really secure, and that bolt cutters etc would struggle to get through? I want to make sure there is no risk to them being stolen.

Also, what are the best ways to keep it nice and warm? I know a lot of people suggest wood shavings and hay, and also elevated beds. Is there anything else? I am going to get the kennels insulated, and I plan on getting heat lamps too. Does this sound ok, or is there anything else I should get?

Neither of the dogs bark a lot (just when the door goes) but I am worried they will bark more at being shut in a kennel... Are there any good ways I can handle this, if this situation arises?

Thank you for any help, and I really hope it is ok to ask this when I don't own a gun dog :oops: I do appreciate any help though, because I love my dogs dearly and want to make sure they are happy, safe and warm.

sdsujacks

Re: Kenneling dogs

Post by sdsujacks » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:49 pm

confused on how you don't own a gun dog but you state that they don't bark except when the door closes or something?

So you are putting your current dogs in the kennel or getting a new one?

Holden

Post by Holden » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:22 pm

sdsujacks wrote:confused on how you don't own a gun dog but you state that they don't bark except when the door closes or something?

So you are putting your current dogs in the kennel or getting a new one?
It is my current dogs who will be going in the kennel.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:59 pm

You can help deter theft but never eliminate the possibility. A welded 2x4 heavy gauge dog panel will help. Pay attention to any hardware that can be un bolted. Thieves are very creative and don't care what they destroy. Make it hard for them and place some of the game cameras in a place that will not be activated by the movement of the dogs. Most padlocks can be cut and latches bent or broken same with panels and chainlink. Fake security cameras hanging off the eaves pointed towards the kennels will help.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 am

gotpointers wrote:You can help deter theft but never eliminate the possibility. A welded 2x4 heavy gauge dog panel will help. Pay attention to any hardware that can be un bolted. Thieves are very creative and don't care what they destroy. Make it hard for them and place some of the game cameras in a place that will not be activated by the movement of the dogs. Most padlocks can be cut and latches bent or broken same with panels and chainlink. Fake security cameras hanging off the eaves pointed towards the kennels will help.
Locks only keep honest people out. There is nothing you can do to keep out a determined thief. You're just making yourself feel better about it.

Holden

Post by Holden » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:33 pm

I know that determined thieves will find a way in, but I would like to make the job as difficult as possible. I also know that if a strange were to come into the garden (where the kennel and run would be) the dogs would bark. Most thieves will not want to hang around while two barking dogs are alerting people, so the longer it takes, the better IMO.

It would probably be relatively easy to break into my house if some wanted to and get the dogs that way (while they are currently left in the house), so it isn't something I am going to overly worry about but I want to protect them the best I can.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 am

Buy heaters designed for dog boxes. Don't use heat lamps. I've heard of two incidents one that was really bad involving dogs where people used heat lamps. Avoid them.

I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your dogs. I don't think they are worth as much on the street as they're to you.

Barking you can get bark collars. Or there are systems that you place by the Kennel that put out a high silent tone that shuts the dog up.

If you want them to sleep outside go cold Turkey don't be going inside one night outside the next. They will be fine. If it gets cold by you make sure they are warm. As soon as they come out the dog box feel them. Then you will know how there living quarters are. Warm or not.

Holden

Post by Holden » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:15 am

campgsp wrote:Buy heaters designed for dog boxes. Don't use heat lamps. I've heard of two incidents one that was really bad involving dogs where people used heat lamps. Avoid them.

I wouldn't worry about someone stealing your dogs. I don't think they are worth as much on the street as they're to you.

Barking you can get bark collars. Or there are systems that you place by the Kennel that put out a high silent tone that shuts the dog up.

If you want them to sleep outside go cold Turkey don't be going inside one night outside the next. They will be fine. If it gets cold by you make sure they are warm. As soon as they come out the dog box feel them. Then you will know how there living quarters are. Warm or not.
Thank you.

I'm not keen on the idea of heaters or heat lamps, if I am honest... was more wanting to stick along the lines of insulating the kennel, raised bed, vet bed, straw etc. Which reminds me of a question I wanted to ask, the kennel I am looking at getting isn't insulated, so what would be the best way to do this? I have read people using polystyrene boards and then putting ply wood on top of that.

I'm not worried about the dogs being stolen in terms of money (one is a cross and the other is a breed that is common as muck - although because of his colour, most people think he is a cross too) but I have heard so many stories of dogs being stolen as bait dogs, or being held to ransom. Although, I have not heard of any cases like that in my area, so I am sure they will be ok. I think the chances of that are low, but I love my boys so don't want to risk it.

I will take your advice on going cold turkey, thanks. I do think that is probably best...

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 am

For the kennel, I think you're referring to the dog box. So with that.. I used straw for years and my dad for many years before me. Works great. Even had dogs sleep out in the snow because it was too warm lol.
My setup I used foam board in between plywood like you said. Detachable roof makes it easy to change out straw. A divider from the door to bedding area is nice too. Just some thoughts.
You can buy them already insulated too and just add straw. I built mine to my liking but everyone is diffrent

Holden

Post by Holden » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:39 pm

campgsp wrote:For the kennel, I think you're referring to the dog box. So with that.. I used straw for years and my dad for many years before me. Works great. Even had dogs sleep out in the snow because it was too warm lol.
My setup I used foam board in between plywood like you said. Detachable roof makes it easy to change out straw. A divider from the door to bedding area is nice too. Just some thoughts.
You can buy them already insulated too and just add straw. I built mine to my liking but everyone is diffrent
Thank you... what's the difference between a dog box and a kennel? The one I am getting is 10ft x 10ft, and I am either getting one with the kennel area being 4 x 10 or one with two kennels at 4 x 5 each. I have looked at getting one already insulated but the 4 x 10 kennel would cost an extra £350 to get it insulated... so, cost wise I think I might be best attempting to do it myself.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:13 pm

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=38038
check this topic out.