outdoor kennel?

ibbowhunting

outdoor kennel?

Post by ibbowhunting » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:10 pm

i been thinking of building an outdoor kennel for my britt,i would like to have room for two or three dogs in the future i would like to see some pictures of some small kennel setups
whats a good size per dog? the floor is there any better way other then concerte? i could attach it to my pole shed and put the house inside that. just looking for ideas if you got any. i'm pretty handy, but told i'm cheap :roll:

Fester

Re: outdoor kennel?

Post by Fester » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:28 pm

concrete sure is nice
Fester

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:48 pm

Fester wrote:concrete sure is nice
Fester

you are right.easy to hose off.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:58 pm

I like 5'x10'

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:32 pm

I like to use my dollars for the best kennel and run for the dog. I have found that 4 ft is as wide as the dog will need or use and I like them as long as you can afford, 16 ft is really nice. The longer the more exercise the dog will get as they will run the length and 4 ft will be wide enough to keep them out of any excrement that they have in the run till it is cleaned up. My old Brittany mentor had runs thirty feet long and swore by them.

Keeping it cheap as possible I would pour a slab 13 by 13, divid it into 3 4ft runs and cut entry doors into your building and but a pen with a box inside.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Onk

Post by Onk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:42 pm

I have a covered 10 x 10 spilt in the middle so that each dog, ( when i get my second one), will have 5 x 10 each. poured concrete pad big enough for pad and dog houses on the outside of the kennels. I built mine about 3 foot from my pole barn because I have seen a couple that were attached and dog urine and metal siding over time = problem. I am about done wiring the kennel cover for lights, drinking water bucket heaters and fans for summer. Figured I might as well have it the way I wanted just in case I had to live there some day.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 am

i also like EZZYS idea too but i keep my dogs in house now but outside kennel connected to garage with door is real nice thing to have.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:57 am

Concrete is so convenient that I wouldn't recommend anything else, but in Delmar Smith's book, he talks about using sand because it makes the dog's feet stronger.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 am

bigeyedfish wrote:Concrete is so convenient that I wouldn't recommend anything else, but in Delmar Smith's book, he talks about using sand because it makes the dog's feet stronger.
only problem would be urine in sand.no.2 would clean up easy.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am

JIM K wrote:
bigeyedfish wrote:Concrete is so convenient that I wouldn't recommend anything else, but in Delmar Smith's book, he talks about using sand because it makes the dog's feet stronger.
only problem would be urine in sand.no.2 would clean up easy.
And if the dog spends any time in the house you would end up with sand everywhere.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 pm

ibbowhunting wrote:i been thinking of building an outdoor kennel for my britt,i would like to have room for two or three dogs in the future i would like to see some pictures of some small kennel setups
whats a good size per dog? the floor is there any better way other then concerte? i could attach it to my pole shed and put the house inside that. just looking for ideas if you got any. i'm pretty handy, but told i'm cheap :roll:

Sloped and brushed concrete.
In N. MN, I would try to site it facing south and attach to the existing biuilding with a dog house inside. In fact, if room, I would have a bit of fenced kennel inside.
I would think one could go 3' wide for a Britt but later dogs, available room and kennel panel choice may best dictate that decision.
I see little reason for a length past 12'.
Several thru-wall doors are available to partially exclude minnesota wind and driven snow...still I would have the dog box or barrel inside situated with winter drafts in mind.
Summer may bring it's own requirements.
I would avoid sand....with a passion.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:10 pm

You can see my set up at www.cekkennels.com It is an inside the building kennel set up. Concrete is a must and will make your life MUCH easier!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Kennels on concrete and a high pressure hose is your friend. :D

My setup is an Indoor/Outdoor kennel. Indoors is set up for (4) 4' deep by 5' wide kennels. Heated and Air Conditioned.
Outdoors there is a 14' deep by 30' wide concrete slab that is capable of holding (5) kennels 10' deep. One kennel is 8' wide by 10' deep for mama and pups. I still have work to do on it... Its never ending. I have alot of ideas and they all take time and money. :lol:

Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:20 pm

ibbowhunting,

Do you live on property in the country or in an urban area of a large city?

I have had 4X12 and 6X12 covered kennels and I agree 16 ft. would have been nicer. 4 ft. wide allows for most dogs houses inside.

Also one thing to think of is where is the water going to go when you wash out the kennels.
Best to have a trough gutter going into your sewer or septic system or a septic tank of it's own for the kennel. I have seen it done both ways.

Just something to think of.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:07 pm

MikeB wrote:ibbowhunting,

Do you live on property in the country or in an urban area of a large city?

I have had 4X12 and 6X12 covered kennels and I agree 16 ft. would have been nicer. 4 ft. wide allows for most dogs houses inside.

Also one thing to think of is where is the water going to go when you wash out the kennels.
Best to have a trough gutter going into your sewer or septic system or a septic tank of it's own for the kennel. I have seen it done both ways.

Just something to think of.
i live on 5 acres in a rural area, the drain would be an important part of a good setup agreed, how big of a septic tank would i guy need for 2 or 3 dogs? just a holding tank? anybody build there own trough,out of what?

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:12 pm

I had my kennel sloped so urine & water would run off. Luckilly my dogs are smart enough to pee at the south end of the kennel so it runs right out and keeps the floor clean. - I don't have a septic system with mine. I just scoop and wash down with a pressure nozzle. I have REALLY green grass in front of the kennels outside. :mrgreen:

IMO a trough sounds like a breeding ground for bacteria. Blech.
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

texasgwp

Post by texasgwp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 am

I would definitely stick to concrete on a slope as well. Helps a lot with clean up.
Ruben - Web Guru

Hunting Dog USA

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:23 am

Concrete is the best. Mine is 23'×23' sloping on each end. Three runs each 6'w x 13'6" l. Center gates help for walking through while cleaning instead of going to the front gate for each Kennel. This is attached to the garage . Boxes are inside. I made it like a work bench along the back. Lids on each box for cleaning or adding cedar. With the heaters I don't need straw anymore. Plus they are fully insulated. Dividers in each house to block door from bedding area that come out for summer.
I just found out that under my siding has gotten wet through the years so I'm adding a steel plate or.something there to stop it. Just a thought. For you.
Oh just one other thing you might want to invest in. Heated water bowls for winter makes a job easier.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:28 pm

I lived on 5 acres in a rural area too. A trough is not a breeding ground if you keep it clean and disinfected like you would the concrete floor of each kennel. The trough can be sloped to a sump hole with sepic pipe laid at a slope down hill for the water to exit. Fill the hole with gravel and cover with a grate top. They make a grate cover for the cement formed trough. Most professional kennels I have scene have a trough drain in the front of each kennel.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:35 pm

How do you keep your adult dogs from jumping out over top of those indoor kennels? I'm looking at doing something similar with the exception of the boxes. I think I am going to use their dog dens inside in the winter months and then come spring they (dog dens) will go back outside blocking them from coming in. I need to get going on it soon.
prairiefirepointers wrote:Kennels on concrete and a high pressure hose is your friend. :D

My setup is an Indoor/Outdoor kennel. Indoors is set up for (4) 4' deep by 5' wide kennels. Heated and Air Conditioned.
Outdoors there is a 14' deep by 30' wide concrete slab that is capable of holding (5) kennels 10' deep. One kennel is 8' wide by 10' deep for mama and pups. I still have work to do on it... Its never ending. I have alot of ideas and they all take time and money. :lol:

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:40 am

4x10 or 5x10 with a trough, face the kennels south, scooping poop sucks! The sunlight does a great job at killing bacteria and you can always put a shade over the top.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:08 pm

duckn66 wrote:How do you keep your adult dogs from jumping out over top of those indoor kennels? I'm looking at doing something similar with the exception of the boxes. I think I am going to use their dog dens inside in the winter months and then come spring they (dog dens) will go back outside blocking them from coming in. I need to get going on it soon.
prairiefirepointers wrote:Kennels on concrete and a high pressure hose is your friend. :D

DICIPLINE :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 am

It has always amazed me how people decide on a kennel based on what the person wants without ever considering what the dog would probably prefer. Put yourself in the dog's position. A dog is bred to cover vast expanses of land in his natural habitat, not be confined. But, we think a 4x10 kennel makes sense. A dog, in his natural environment, would not really ever come across anything like concrete, but that's our go-to surface. You know, we put people in small enclosures with hard, sterile surfaces, put one or two people per unit and let them out once or twice a day to exercise and we call it prison and no one wants to go to prison, but we often design a row of - for lack of a better word - cells, and we pat ourselves on the back because they are a pretty nice loooking row of cells. I just don't get it. Maybe if you train for a living it may make sense, but not the average jo.

Think about it, if someone on this site said they decided they just weren't going to get their dog basic health needs, like flea, tick, worm treatment, that person would be chastised because popular opinion is that a person should make sure his dogs stay basically happy and healthy, but then that chastiser will turn around and put his dog in one of these cells where the dogs is not happy. I don't get it.

This is what I think. Take the money you are going to sink into a concrete slab and buy more fence. Lay several lengths on the ground (better yet, till up the ground first, so the wire will work itself into the dirt) so the dog can't dig through. Make sure the area has enough slope for decent drainage. Build the dog a deck to put in the pen. It's better if it has two stories, about four foot high. He can get under the entire thing and lay on the cool dirt when it's hot out, lay on the lower story when it's hot and wet out ( to keep cool and dry), but he can lay on the top story to sun himself and bask in the sun. If you can make the pen long enough - even if means making in narrower - and keep few enough dogs in the pen there's a good chance you won't even have to clean it because the waste will be at the far end of the pen and will decompose faster than it can start to become unsanitary. If you want to get more dogs in the future, make the pen big enough for all the dogs to romp and have fun.

Final conclusion: Easier to clean, easier to feed and water (just one pen instead of several), the dogs enjoy it more, it's lower maintenance in the long run, cheaper. If you're looking to build a pen do yourself and your dog a favor.
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am

Ok so now you have a bitch or two in season. What you going to do. Can't leave them in the pen together let alone with males. Think about it. Plus dogs like dominance. Your setting up for fights. I have had concrete and Kennel runs for over 20 years. They are best. Also just let the poop decompose in the corner right. Um no. Talk about health risk and neighbors complaining. Even if I lived on a farm I wouldn't do that.

You know its a real kick in the teeth when people like you say we are jailing our dogs and leaving them in there. I personally did my whole Kennel setup for my dogs well being. So they are comfortable when they are there. But for 5-6 hours a day they are not. When I get home from work they are let out before work let out.
You shouldn't judge things until you have experienced them for yourself. Have a good day

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:10 am

You have to have the ability to separate them if you have multiple "intact" dogs. I personally like a big kennel as well as smaller ones so that I can separate them as needed or let them hang out together.

Mine could be temporary so I'm using Astro Turf instead of concrete.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

So putting a dog in a kennel with concrete floors is like prison for us? but its ok to make them eat,sleep,drink and play around there own waste so you dont have to take 15min out of your day to care for them?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 am

Stoneface, you just described the perfect environment for worms, fleas, and a thousand diseases. Given your description, why don't you apply it to yourself. Forget the confinement of 4 walls, the need for a hard surface floor when it is raining but lets just leave it mud. Why do you want a roof over your head when it prevents you from seeing the stars. One bathroom fits all but why have any? Not needed! You would fit right in with the bunny huggers that think a small pen that keeps a sow from laying on her babies, and air-conditioned house with floors that can be cleaned to prevent disease and promote comfort for the animals is considered cruelty. Over the years we have learn how to take care of animals so they can live a long productive life and then all of a sudden we decide it is cruel. Males no sense that some promote a style of living for their animals but wouldn't live their life in the same manner.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:58 am

I have what I consider to be a fairly nice kennel setup. (what I have finished anyways) They have indoor and outdoor runs. They have heat in the cold winter, and Air Conditioning in the hot summer. They have their kennels cleaned and washed down sometimes 4-6 times a day. Sometimes only twice if I am away from home. I routinely spray for flies and bug control, and scrub the concrete with scented disinfectant and a stiff bristle brush. They have soft bedding to lay on and I take pride in affording them clean, safe, and comfortable accomodations to live in. Their individual runs are sized appropriately, IMO.

Now, I also have a large fenced in backyard. It is where my Pointer stud "Cy", and my Black Lab "Sooner" have free reign. They have a GDH door leading into the mud room off the back of the house with beds to lay on.... Obviously, with Heat and A/C.

Rowdy,

IMHO I think your points are way off base. You bring up the issue of exercise, space, and interaction. I can tell you that I never see my 2 "Indoor" dogs out running laps around the backyard for exercise. As a matter of fact, 99% of the time they are either sleeping on their dog beds in the mud room, or laying in the backyard sunning themselves in the same spot they do everyday.... Just as the kennel dogs do. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't just kennel my dogs up and forget them. They get let out to run and interact just like the Lab and Pointer do. I think if you added up the square footage of where the Lab and Pointer (Indoor/yard dogs) spend the majority of their time it would be nearly identical, if not less than where the "Kennel dogs" are kept.

I, like many of my GDF brethern on here feel like we go above and beyond to afford our dogs a happy, comfortable, & safe lifestyle. In order to do that they need some level of structure for their own good... Just like a child. Just because you do it differently doesn't make you right and our ways wrong. Personally I don't know whether to laugh or be offended that I fall into your view of running a "Prison for dogs"

Respectfully,

Jess Stucky
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

birdogg42

Post by birdogg42 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:54 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:I have what I consider to be a fairly nice kennel setup. (what I have finished anyways) They have indoor and outdoor runs. They have heat in the cold winter, and Air Conditioning in the hot summer. They have their kennels cleaned and washed down sometimes 4-6 times a day. Sometimes only twice if I am away from home. I routinely spray for flies and bug control, and scrub the concrete with scented disinfectant and a stiff bristle brush. They have soft bedding to lay on and I take pride in affording them clean, safe, and comfortable accomodations to live in. Their individual runs are sized appropriately, IMO.

Now, I also have a large fenced in backyard. It is where my Pointer stud "Cy", and my Black Lab "Sooner" have free reign. They have a GDH door leading into the mud room off the back of the house with beds to lay on.... Obviously, with Heat and A/C.

Rowdy,

IMHO I think your points are way off base. You bring up the issue of exercise, space, and interaction. I can tell you that I never see my 2 "Indoor" dogs out running laps around the backyard for exercise. As a matter of fact, 99% of the time they are either sleeping on their dog beds in the mud room, or laying in the backyard sunning themselves in the same spot they do everyday.... Just as the kennel dogs do. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't just kennel my dogs up and forget them. They get let out to run and interact just like the Lab and Pointer do. I think if you added up the square footage of where the Lab and Pointer (Indoor/yard dogs) spend the majority of their time it would be nearly identical, if not less than where the "Kennel dogs" are kept.

I, like many of my GDF brethern on here feel like we go above and beyond to afford our dogs a happy, comfortable, & safe lifestyle. In order to do that they need some level of structure for their own good... Just like a child. Just because you do it differently doesn't make you right and our ways wrong. Personally I don't know whether to laugh or be offended that I fall into your view of running a "Prison for dogs"

Respectfully,

Jess Stucky
X2 well said
Mike

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:39 pm

I am not saying or accusing anyone of not putting out effort to give their dogs a happy, healthy life. I just think the majority of people that put in all the effort put it into the wrong area. I mean, do you really think a dog wants to hang out by himself or with just one kennel-mate in a small run, on a concrete slab? Put yourself in the dog's place.

And I'm not saying just fence in a big piece of land, throw the dogs in and hope all turns out alright. You'll get aggressive dogs, but if you raise them yourself (I mean, if you're not a pro that has to take on anything a client wants to give you) then there isn't much excuse for you having aggressive dogs. People will come back and say that some dogs are just genetically predisposed to being aggressive, which I don't think is true to the point that most do. I don't see anything wrong with having a small "pack" of dogs in a large pen together. We used to run an animal rescue in Texas and would have 10 dogs in a large pen, about 100' x 100', and with the exception of a few instigators, there weren't many problems. We treated the ground (and it was sand) with insect-killer and if there was ever a female in season we'd isolate her until she was through her cycle and good to go back into the general population.

And, Ezzy, you can say all day long long that it's a breeding ground for illness, but it's not. As far as suggesting a style of living for your animal and not living it yourself, well, I really am anxious to know how long you've been living in a kennel, sleeping in a barrel and crapping on a concrete floor for your parents to come by and spray clean with a hose? I'm sure your dogs live in the house, use the toilet and sleep on their own, custom-made beds, but since you're advocating kennel life for a dog I'm just wondering how that could be if you've never lived it yourself? One last thing: If you really want to know how some promote a style of living for their animals but wouldn't live their life in the same manner, I'm about to tell you. It's because dogs are not people and people are not dogs. Not saying they're low so we are justified to mistreat them, but we have different standards and needs.

Here is a video you all may be interested in. Hounds have been raised in colonies and packs for years and without much problem. Totally intact males living with others, females come into season, they eat together, everything. I've done my research on this on the houndsmen don't sweat any friction between the dogs. The dogs are raised in a pack environment and learn how to behave around other dogs... heck, that sounds almost natural! Who'd ever heard of a dog be a pack animal anyhow? Sounds so much like common sense that it's scary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC4cACp-E2w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6CwgybLB9E

-------------------------------------------------------------------
www.PoetryShootingClub.com
www.StonefaceKennels.com
----------
"I have found it far more pleasuable pursuing the game with a fine dog and enjoying his performance than the actual shooting." -Robert G. Wehle

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:31 pm

I'm with Jess on this.

Very good points.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:50 pm

Hound keeping is not as simple as tossing the boys in one pen and the girls in another. Fighting is of little concern because fighters are not kept. Also, the status of a pack can be dynamic and if a strike begins to falter, his or her kennel mates will take him or her down.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Stoneface I guess your telling us you put yourself in your dogs place and he said having that flank collar is natural to him? And that he much rather point to a bird and let you take a shot at it then to go ahead and jump on it?

Kona dawg

outdoor kennel?

Post by Kona dawg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 pm

campgsp wrote:Ok so now you have a bitch or two in season. What you going to do. Can't leave them in the pen together let alone with males. Think about it. Plus dogs like dominance. Your setting up for fights. I have had concrete and Kennel runs for over 20 years. They are best. Also just let the poop decompose in the corner right. Um no. Talk about health risk and neighbors complaining. Even if I lived on a farm I wouldn't do that.

You know its a real kick in the teeth when people like you say we are jailing our dogs and leaving them in there. I personally did my whole Kennel setup for my dogs well being. So they are comfortable when they are there. But for 5-6 hours a day they are not. When I get home from work they are let out before work let out.
You shouldn't judge things until you have experienced them for yourself. Have a good day
+1