How do you burn off puppy energy?

benelli

How do you burn off puppy energy?

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:03 am

Our 6-month-old GSP recently decided he's not going to come as reliably as he had been (I'll be posting about that in the training forum ...), which means our normal way of burning off his energy - running him off-leash ("illegally") on a bike path and in a small field near our house with busy-ish roads on two sides - is out of the question. This morning Scout jumped out of the brush and barked at an old woman and just about gave her a heart attack.

So how do you burn off your dogs' energy on a day-to-day basis? I'm six months pregnant and I have a 15-month-old toddler, and my husband is working long hours, so question number one is obviously why the heck did we choose this year to get a GSP puppy? I'm going to place an order for a bike attachment, but at this point in my pregnancy falling is definitely more of a risk so I'm not too big on that idea.

Thanks!

bb560m

Re: How do you burn off puppy energy?

Post by bb560m » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 am

Take them hunting :). Maybe an enclosed tennis court or baseball/football field? Let them go nuts enclosed...

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:44 am

I remember that age with our first. I played fetch in the yard with our pup when I got up in the morning before my shower, again before I left for work, had a dog walker come in mid-day, played more fetch when I got home, again after dinner, before it got dark, then sat in the living room throwing a tennis ball into the corner of the room all evening until I went to bed....and then started it all over again the next day.

I spent all weekend outside gardening and working in the yard, which would keep Courage tolerable until around Wednesday. Obedience drills tire the mind, something really good to chew on (bully sticks are great for this) helps occupy them, and as much exercise as you can get him. I don't normally recommend dog parks, but a play date with another well socialized young dog can do wonders.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Karen. We do play fetch with him in the evening, but we may have to add a few more games of fetch throughout the day. Fortunately the weather recently became more tolerable - we're in the desert, so up until the last two weeks or so it was still getting to the high 90s/low 100s during the middle of the day.

Yeah, we do have a dog park really close to the neighborhood, but in the morning there are exactly zero dogs there (for whatever reason), and in the evening it's typically occupied by fairly poorly-behaved dogs, so we've tended not to make much of a habit of going there.

As far as taking him hunting goes ... remember I'm six months pregnant and I have a 15-month-old ... not trying to make excuses or anything, but, well, that's my excuse. :D

A while ago I had the fleeting idea that hey, maybe getting a second dog would actually make life easier - they'd help each other burn off energy, right? And then I couldn't believe I'd actually entertained the idea of a second dog, given everything else we have going on this year.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:09 am

Oh! Laser pointer! Mine loved to chase a laser pointer arount the yard (it was like watching greyhound races). He never tired of that game, and at nearly 13 yrs old, still gets all excited when he thinks he sees the red dot! Now that it's getting darker earlier, it's an option.

Making him think doing simple heel/sit/down/stay and tricks really does help too. They settle much more quickly after about 15 minutes or so of simple obedience work.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:22 am

Actually, most of my dogs burn energy with and learn manners from other dogs they live with. It doesn't work, however, to get a second high maintenance dog. Sorry, but, "Really?" comes to mind when I see people with these situations. Shorthairs take a good three years to fully mature and you're going to have a toddler and an infant when that dog hits the really rough age around a year old. Time to set some rules and develop a strategy for more than burning off energy.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:25 am

Haha, Karen, the laser pointer - that's the only thing Scout actually points at! We've been slow with our actual hunting training so right now he just crashes around chasing birds (we figure on the bright side at least he's interested in birds, and he can't catch them), but get out the laser pointer and he locks right up. Then the toddler comes along and tries to pick the red dot up off the floor. But I'll have to try that outside and see if I can get him running after it, rather than just pointing at it.

cptn

Post by cptn » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:01 am

Walk/jog three miles a day in the morning with the pup(wouldn't recommend that for a young pup), and then I usually run errands with my dog in tow. I usually get tired midday, and to keep from lounging around the house, I grab my pup and we go see relatives, visit friends with dogs for play dates, or walk the town. Children and random strangers comw and pet him, and driving around in the car gets him worked up and excited. And three days out of the week, we usually hit the dog park. Gives me time to read, make phone calls, and study for Grad school. Physical stimulation is one thing, but mental stimulation is huge! Just these interactions alone has him finding a corner at the house and collapsing into a deep sleep. If he still has energy, we do training or play fetch.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

SpinoneIllinois

Post by SpinoneIllinois » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:23 am

If you can afford it, consider sending the pup to a trainer. Maybe a trainer would take the dog 2-3 days at a time, or a week at a time.

bigeyedfish

Post by bigeyedfish » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

Karen wrote:Oh! Laser pointer! Mine loved to chase a laser pointer arount the yard (it was like watching greyhound races). He never tired of that game, and at nearly 13 yrs old, still gets all excited when he thinks he sees the red dot! Now that it's getting darker earlier, it's an option.
My wife's family was playing with our dog with a laser pointer, and now I catch him all the time looking around like he thinks he saw a red dot.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 pm

The reality is does your family really need this dog? Just having an todler and a husband working long hours when you got the pup was not the right picture for raising this pup. Now pregnant and a newborn in 3 months or so you will have less time for the dog when he is 9 months old and needing much more exercise and training.

In my opinion as a father of three, grown now, and professional obedience trainer I would seriously think of finding a new home for your pup with an adult family that has the time to dedicate to his exercise and training needs. Otherwise it's only going to get worse every day from here on out.

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:44 pm

Run, run and run 'em some more !! :wink:

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

vartz04

Post by vartz04 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:34 pm

in the house I just throw a ball in the unfinished basement, or from the couch when I am watching tv. When I take the ball he locks up on point haha.

Outside in the yard, he chases squirrels and runs around.

At my parents - I hop on the 3 wheeler and go ride through the woods as he runs along. When we get out to the field I walk with him and let him try to find some birds although there aren't many out there.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 pm

benelli wrote:Our 6-month-old GSP recently decided he's not going to come as reliably as he had been (I'll be posting about that in the training forum ...), which means our normal way of burning off his energy - running him off-leash ("illegally") on a bike path and in a small field near our house with busy-ish roads on two sides - is out of the question. This morning Scout jumped out of the brush and barked at an old woman and just about gave her a heart attack.

So how do you burn off your dogs' energy on a day-to-day basis? I'm six months pregnant and I have a 15-month-old toddler, and my husband is working long hours, so question number one is obviously why the heck did we choose this year to get a GSP puppy? I'm going to place an order for a bike attachment, but at this point in my pregnancy falling is definitely more of a risk so I'm not too big on that idea.

Thanks!
It was a bad decision to get a dog for someone in your position ,especially bad to get a sporting breed. Dogs are time consuming. What to do now is the question. See the thread "I Think We need to get Rid of our Brit" for some ideas.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:34 pm

I must agree wholeheartedly with Sharon, but now that you have the dog.....; sending to a trainer is a really good idea. DO NOT, under any circumstances get a laser pointer to use with your dog. It can lead to obsession if your dog is at all susceptible to that malady. I don't see how this situation will be any better in 6 or 12 or 18 months from now, considering your baby situation. Maybe finding him another home would be best for the dog and you.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm

marysburg wrote:I must agree wholeheartedly with Sharon, but now that you have the dog.....; sending to a trainer is a really good idea. DO NOT, under any circumstances get a laser pointer to use with your dog. It can lead to obsession if your dog is at all susceptible to that malady. I don't see how this situation will be any better in 6 or 12 or 18 months from now, considering your baby situation. Maybe finding him another home would be best for the dog and you.
Can you show a single documented case of canine stereotypie attributed to playing with laser pointers?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:02 pm

marysburg wrote:I must agree wholeheartedly with Sharon, but now that you have the dog.....; sending to a trainer is a really good idea. DO NOT, under any circumstances get a laser pointer to use with your dog. It can lead to obsession if your dog is at all susceptible to that malady. I don't see how this situation will be any better in 6 or 12 or 18 months from now, considering your baby situation. Maybe finding him another home would be best for the dog and you.

I see a lot of change in the next year or so. The pup will be older, her husband will probably be able to be more involved, and she won't be pregnant probably. This is just a temporary thing that will pass and it sounds like it is being delt with pretty well as we speak. Might not have been perfect timing but it could be a whole lot worse.

Hang in there and it will improve.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks Ezzy.

I'd written a post but apparently the computer ate it - but basically I was saying I don't think this is quite the same situation as the people with the Brittany. My husband and I aren't ready to throw in the towel and I don't think it would be right for us to do that. We're not overwhelmed, just needing suggestions on how to burn off some energy while we get the dog's training back on track. Yes, we're busy, but we're not pathetically desperate, and if I came across that way, I apologize. I've handled much more difficult things in life than an energetic dog. If I hadn't had complications with this pregnancy, I'd be taking the dog on long runs right now; a couple years ago we had a Boxer who was my Boston Marathon training buddy, and he and I would run a sub-7:00 pace for local 5Ks. Once I can go running again, Scout and I will be hitting the pavement.

As it is we're going to try using some 550 cord as a check cord/long leash and see if that helps; if our only complaint about that is that it burns our hands, we'll figure out a better alternative.

Around the house and in general throughout the day the dog is very well-behaved. His worst offense is picking up an occasional baby toy - and he brings it right over to me and drops it in my hand without a fuss, so that's hardly a serious problem. He doesn't have a perfectly stylish "heel," but I don't feel like he's out of control when I walk him on-leash. Up until about two weeks ago he was entirely within my expectations for his obedience - it's just been recently that he's decided "come" might be optional, so obviously now that we're aware that's a problem, we're going to work on it, and in the meantime I was looking for suggestions.

So for those with helpful/encouraging suggestions, thanks! :D And for those who said to get rid of the dog - well, thanks for taking the time to respond, but I'm afraid I won't be taking your advice.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm

You might look up Susan Garrett's recall method. I've had reasonable success with my really wild child using it.

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:You might look up Susan Garrett's recall method. I've had reasonable success with my really wild child using it.
Thanks!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:13 pm

Benelli - another consideration could be a treadmill. It would be a way to get your dog some exercise in any weather. Once trained, you just fasten his leash on there and he's good for a while. Some dogs really enjoy it.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:56 pm

Cajun Casey, you are right, I cannot cite studies regarding the use of laser pointers and the development of obsessive behaviour in dogs. I have however seen dogs who, when they have no outlet for pent up instictive energy, choose repetitive fetch or chase games. These are sometimes herding or hunting breeds. It sounds like this pup has no access to grassy fields, free running or birds; and I still think that a tired pup is a happy pup.

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm

marysburg wrote:Cajun Casey, you are right, I cannot cite studies regarding the use of laser pointers and the development of obsessive behaviour in dogs. I have however seen dogs who, when they have no outlet for pent up instictive energy, choose repetitive fetch or chase games. These are sometimes herding or hunting breeds. It sounds like this pup has no access to grassy fields, free running or birds; and I still think that a tired pup is a happy pup.
You have me on grass, sure - we have a small patch of grass in our backyard (fenced! so at least we're okay there), but yep, we live in the desert, which means no lush green pastures. As far as free running goes, up until now he's had a ~45 minute off-leash run every.single.morning - and once he's solid on recall again, he'll get that again. He usually would get another ~20 minutes of off-leash running in the evening playing fetch in an open area behind our house, but he's not recalling out there either so we're going to re-think that. True, he doesn't point at the birds, but boy does he love to run around and find them and chase them as they fly away. I know that's not the hunting style most people would go for, but he's happy so we're not stressing about it right now.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:14 pm

Benelli, you are doing more than most people would be able to manage. Enjoy your pup, and keep up the good work. I congratulate you on your determination, and wish you all success.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Maybe you should just get a couple of homing pigeons to reel him in with.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:21 pm

marysburg wrote:Cajun Casey, you are right, I cannot cite studies regarding the use of laser pointers and the development of obsessive behaviour in dogs..
You just described my son's Border Collie's behavior. We are pretty sure the previous owners played the "chase the flashlight beam" with him. Any reflection and he pounces on it and needs discipline to get him off it...

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:31 pm

I have a dog that chases and eats flys, a pup that points them, and had a dog that chased birds shadows. None of them ever saw a laser and all were happy dogs. I always thought it was good they found something they liked to do and used it to exercise. I sure don't see anything wrong with it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

benelli

Post by benelli » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:43 pm

Here's a big reason we couldn't part with the dog ... who would the kid have as a partner in crime?

These two are hilarious together and watching them interact makes the inconveniences worthwhile. They even go down the slides together at the park.

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 am

Benelli,
You have a few choices, first, I love high energy dogs they are fantastic, and usually very animated:) One, I never let a dog loose where I have no control on correcting bad behavior, I either use a check cord or an e collar, as fast as things can happen you always need control of your dog. If you do not know how to condition a dog with a collar, have a pro do it, this is something you don't want to mess up on. Second if you have a lake or pond around, swimming is a great exercise, I know you said you are in the desert, don't know if you have access to water. Be careful walking your dog on a lead in your condition, do not wrap it around your wrist, a dog can pull you over fairly easy. Start to use a whistle, it usually gets his attention more, and when he looks at you squat down and clap your hands and call with a very excited voice, it does work wonders. If he comes back with no hesitation, you can also reward with a treat, but use them very sparingly, I like to use a hot dog cut up into pieces. Remember, you are not asking him if he would like to come to you, you are telling him to come, no ifs, ands, or buts, and the only way you can instill that is with either a check cord or e collar. Good luck to you:)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:54 am

A e-collar would solve a lot of your off leash problems if you learn how to properly introduce the dog to it. George Hickok method is simple and works great. It is more age most puppies want to try their wings and ignore. This too will pass and you will have a great running partner. Congratulations. I'm impressed. We need more ladies like you. CJ

Eric1542

Post by Eric1542 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:20 pm

My brother did the treadmill thing and it worked fairly good. If you have the money a friend of mine did the doggy daycare that was available in her area. She did three days a week and it completely changed how her dog was at home as far as extra energy.

benelli

Post by benelli » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:40 am

BigJake wrote:Benelli,
You have a few choices, first, I love high energy dogs they are fantastic, and usually very animated:) One, I never let a dog loose where I have no control on correcting bad behavior, I either use a check cord or an e collar, as fast as things can happen you always need control of your dog. If you do not know how to condition a dog with a collar, have a pro do it, this is something you don't want to mess up on. Second if you have a lake or pond around, swimming is a great exercise, I know you said you are in the desert, don't know if you have access to water. Be careful walking your dog on a lead in your condition, do not wrap it around your wrist, a dog can pull you over fairly easy. Start to use a whistle, it usually gets his attention more, and when he looks at you squat down and clap your hands and call with a very excited voice, it does work wonders. If he comes back with no hesitation, you can also reward with a treat, but use them very sparingly, I like to use a hot dog cut up into pieces. Remember, you are not asking him if he would like to come to you, you are telling him to come, no ifs, ands, or buts, and the only way you can instill that is with either a check cord or e collar. Good luck to you:)
Thanks. Yeah, we were planning on staying away from the e-collars, since we don't have any experience with them and figured having a not-absolutely-perfect non-e-collar dog would be better than a ruined attempted-e-collar dog. Funny you mention the lake/pond ... up until a few weeks ago we had a nice little pond on base, but because of military budget cuts they're not filling it anymore, so it's turning into a sludge hole. Scout hasn't quite taken to swimming yet anyway, and we've tried several different approaches. But now the closest swimmable water is most likely at least an hour away - nobody I've come across knows of any. We do use a whistle, and sometimes that's more effective, but not 100% anymore like it used to be. We do try hiding in brush (difficult since I have a big stroller with a toddler in it), or just moving in the other direction, but I think the main problem is simply that his range is larger than we can allow given the small size of the field we have easy access to. I did buy a bag of little treats yesterday to start using, so we'll see how that goes. Thanks for taking the time to respond!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:51 am

While I applaud your plan to not use a e-collar, you may be surprised how easy it is to collar condition a dog and how effective they are for enforcing what the dog already knows.
We use George Hickok's method it is simple,straight forward and you can't go wrong if you go slow. The dogs get a high when they learn that they control the collar. They also know they are going to have fun when the collar goes on,so they get excited when they see the collars.
Not trying to tell you what you should do, but it would be a very simple solution to your problem and could save your dogs life.
When the dog learns you have no control it generally goes down hill. Excersize is not the total answer, he needs to be controlled whether he is tired or not. I also use a lot of treats and the tread mill works great. Good Luck, Cj

BigJake

Post by BigJake » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:35 am

CJ is right, todays e collars are nothing like the old ones, you can get collars that have a tone, a vibration, and ones with tracking functions, plus the stimulation can be set to where it is not going to hurt the dog. I had an english pointer, and every time he would see his collar come out he got excited, why, because it was always associated with fun. They are not a torture device. What you are building is structure for your dog, and like cj said, the dog will learn that he controls the collar, you must have control of your dog at all times. When you take a dog to a professional trainer, he either has him on a lead or has a collar on him, why, because you need to be in control to correct any negative response, and you need to correct the negative response instantly, that is the only way the dog will learn. It is in your dogs best interest and safety.