Wolf attacks dog while hunting in MN

DogNewbie

Wolf attacks dog while hunting in MN

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:40 pm

This article was in the Star Tribune this morning. Thought you all would find it interesting.

http://www.startribune.com/local/173624211.html

rkappes

Re: Wolf attacks dog while hunting in MN

Post by rkappes » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:52 pm

On Tuesday night my little mutt flushed out a Yote, chased the Yote for a few hundred yards before I could call her off. She was running stride for stride across a plowed field with the Yote biting it in the neck and face….I couldn’t believe my eyes!

Not a wolf but quite the experience for me.

Gosh does that little mutt LOVE fur!

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:53 pm

Based on the comments that I read I am glad that I do not live in that State. They guy was totally justified and the bunny huggers were tearing him up for defending his dog.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:28 pm

cjuve wrote:Based on the comments that I read I am glad that I do not live in that State. They guy was totally justified and the bunny huggers were tearing him up for defending his dog.
I Know, isn't it unreal how some people think.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:18 pm

rkappes wrote:On Tuesday night my little mutt flushed out a Yote, chased the Yote for a few hundred yards before I could call her off. She was running stride for stride across a plowed field with the Yote biting it in the neck and face….I couldn’t believe my eyes!

Not a wolf but quite the experience for me.

Gosh does that little mutt LOVE fur!
I'd break him pronto. I've heard that one will bait the dog away and then the pack will take over and finish the job :cry:

HUNT 24/7

Post by HUNT 24/7 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:30 am

I'd have done the same thing, endangered or not...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:00 am

I do like wolve's but I also know there is no room for them anywhere near civilization. Last fall, near here, My Bodie had been out on a long cast and was followed in closely by a coyote. I'm certain that nothing had happened, matter of fact I doubt Bodie knew it was there. It was maybe five feet behind and just hanging and Bodie wasn't running that hard. Fired the gun in the air once and the coyote broke off, went about 30 yds and stopped and looked back. Fired one more shot at it and it was gone. I can just imagine that 40# coyote being a 100# wolf. I would kill it in a heart beat!

It's lucky for us that someone doesn't really use DVA to bring back some of the prehistoric predators. Wonder what the bunny huggers would do with them? Couple spots I used to hunt birds had wolves reported in them, I don't hunt them anymore.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:21 am

I hate these wolf threads and I should have known better than to look. So many people think predators have no place "near " us. In a few years there will be no place away from us humans.
We are not the only predator on this planet. And we are fooling ourselves to think the ecosystem will work if we try to fill that niche for every other carnivore out there.
I am sorry the dog was attacked. I would be surprised if it did not start the challenge much like dog after the coyote above. We have bred them to defend us and have a boldness bigger than themselves. And then we get mad when the wild animals they are after fight back. I would be extremely sad but if you want yo find fault there are more places to look than some think.
We can not even respect fellow humans who live differently so living with wild diversity around must be extra hard.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:44 am

Laurie, I think most of us respect the predators in our world but that doesn't mean they will co-exist with us or us with them. YOu can blame the dog for being chased, and you maybe right, but I will guarantee you the flock of sheep and the new-born calf, foal, or shoats didn't cause the serious and continuing problem of them being killed. We even had matures cows being killed last year. And it isn't our fault that we have moved into the territory many of those preditors had ruled for years. But this world has always operated on the system that the strong rule and as a result survive. As humans we are just one of those animals and we have no reason to apoligize, since the preditors we have replaced got here the same way, they replaced the prior occipants just like we have. For a matter of fact we are much more humane than any of the wi;d animals God created.

I understand your post and have some of the same feelings but I also know we have as much right to exist as any other animal and I don't think we need to apoligize for being the only animal that is concerned about the others for any reason other than a food source.

The humane way for us to co-exist with many different animals is to do it at great distances from each other and we should be proud that we care enough to try and see that happens.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:32 am

I am not blaming the dog for what it was bred to do.
I am blaming humans for expecting wild animals to live to some moral code that they do not have. And for expecting everything to move out as we overpopulate our world. For expecting ever other ceature to resist doing exactly what we would do if something attacked us.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am

I do not think the wolf should be DEFENDED or BLAMED. It is just a wolf. Being a wolf. Protecting itself and defending its own self. I Do not think the dog sjould be blamed or defended. It is just a dog being a dog. What I do not agree with is this concept that wolves somehow can not live nearby. Can bears? Should we keep bears away too. People better start fencing Knoxville, TN because they come in all the time. And sometimes they cause trouble. Attack people. Destroy property. And that destructive bear may sadly be put down. But all bears? All of them should be kept out of "our " space? I like living in wild places. I dont want a fenced "safe " modified controlled and man made wild place. Personally. I do plan to follow the example of the wild animal though and defend my own self if needed. But not by total exclusion. Rather on a case by case situation as needed.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:14 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I do not think the wolf should be DEFENDED or BLAMED. It is just a wolf. Being a wolf. Protecting itself and defending its own self. I Do not think the dog sjould be blamed or defended. It is just a dog being a dog. What I do not agree with is this concept that wolves somehow can not live nearby. Can bears? Should we keep bears away too. People better start fencing Knoxville, TN because they come in all the time. And sometimes they cause trouble. Attack people. Destroy property. And that destructive bear may sadly be put down. But all bears? All of them should be kept out of "our " space? I like living in wild places. I dont want a fenced "safe " modified controlled and man made wild place. Personally. I do plan to follow the example of the wild animal though and defend my own self if needed. But not by total exclusion. Rather on a case by case situation as needed.
Have you seen the recent articles on the bears killed and the wolf pack in Washington killed? Both cases were caused by humans feeding (bears) and allowing habituation (wolves). There is a movement in Wisconsin to prohibit running wolves with hounds that is being led by some very prominent dog behavior folks and California just outlawed running hounds on predators for the most part.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:35 pm

cjuve wrote:Based on the comments that I read I am glad that I do not live in that State. They guy was totally justified and the bunny huggers were tearing him up for defending his dog.
Yup. Agreed...

There must be lots of Yuppie Liberals in that state. I especially like the comment someone made about "Any hunting with hounds should be banned" :roll:

If the guy shot the wolf out of malice why contact the DNR? He could've just killed it, and went on about his business like nothing happened.
Last edited by prairiefirepointers on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:39 pm

prairiefirepointers wrote:If the guy shot the wolf out of malice why contact the DNR? He could've just killed it, and went on about his business like nothing happened.
He did the right thing by contacting the DNR.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:47 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
prairiefirepointers wrote:If the guy shot the wolf out of malice why contact the DNR? He could've just killed it, and went on about his business like nothing happened.
He did the right thing by contacting the DNR.
That was my point... But thanks.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:27 pm

now in pa we have coyotes and we have watch our small pups very close as some yotes are getting very bold.
heck i had yote in my yard at 10 am on sunday morning.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I hate these wolf threads and I should have known better than to look. So many people think predators have no place "near " us. In a few years there will be no place away from us humans.
We are not the only predator on this planet. And we are fooling ourselves to think the ecosystem will work if we try to fill that niche for every other carnivore out there.
I am sorry the dog was attacked. I would be surprised if it did not start the challenge much like dog after the coyote above. We have bred them to defend us and have a boldness bigger than themselves. And then we get mad when the wild animals they are after fight back. I would be extremely sad but if you want yo find fault there are more places to look than some think.
We can not even respect fellow humans who live differently so living with wild diversity around must be extra hard.
From other of your threads and this one, it seems you have no tolerance for views different from your own or that we need to keep wild predators under control and fearful of civilization. So I guess you would have let your dog get killed by the wolf? :roll:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

JIM K wrote:now in pa we have coyotes and we have watch our small pups very close as some yotes are getting very bold.
There was a documentary a while back investigating a fatality - seems like it was in Canada. A pack of coyotes over many years had interbred with wild dogs and formed a larger 'hybrid' coyote. As the genetics continued to change, the 'hybrids' behavior became bolder and bolder until a small group of these larger hybrid 'yotes took a hiker down and killed her one day. It was an amazing story about how the coyotes evolved over time and the effect it had. Pretty sure that 'yote pack was wiped from the earth once the authorities learned what was going on.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Laurie, I think most of us respect the predators in our world but that doesn't mean they will co-exist with us or us with them. YOu can blame the dog for being chased, and you maybe right, but I will guarantee you the flock of sheep and the new-born calf, foal, or shoats didn't cause the serious and continuing problem of them being killed. We even had matures cows being killed last year. And it isn't our fault that we have moved into the territory many of those preditors had ruled for years. But this world has always operated on the system that the strong rule and as a result survive. As humans we are just one of those animals and we have no reason to apoligize, since the preditors we have replaced got here the same way, they replaced the prior occipants just like we have. For a matter of fact we are much more humane than any of the wi;d animals God created.

I understand your post and have some of the same feelings but I also know we have as much right to exist as any other animal and I don't think we need to apoligize for being the only animal that is concerned about the others for any reason other than a food source.

The humane way for us to co-exist with many different animals is to do it at great distances from each other and we should be proud that we care enough to try and see that happens.

Ezzy
I am with ya.
Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:00 pm

JIM K wrote:now in pa we have coyotes and we have watch our small pups very close as some yotes are getting very bold.
We have a lot of coyotes where I live and hunt and fortunately have never had a problem with them, as far as the dogs are concerned. I haven't had contact with a yote very often, but when I have, they have been high tailing it out of the area. From what I read, maybe I have just been lucky, but I have just never had to worry about my dogs and I don't know of anybody else around here that has.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:37 pm

Same here. I have seen them in my yard several years ago but they were just passing through. My contact with them while hunting is always with the dogs chasing and the yotes leaving as faat as their legs could carry them. I have seen the deer take them out of the alfalfa fields too. I have heard the stories but have never seen a yote try to fight anything.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm

SSS minus the middle S.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Same here. I have seen them in my yard several years ago but they were just passing through. My contact with them while hunting is always with the dogs chasing and the yotes leaving as faat as their legs could carry them. I have seen the deer take them out of the alfalfa fields too. I have heard the stories but have never seen a yote try to fight anything.

Ezzy
My dad had a small dog killed by yotes on his property. Had a yote hanging around in the morning when ever he'd let another small dog out at first light. That yote got relocated permanently.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:33 am

I trap coyotes for the state and I can't count the number of collars that I've recovered from coyotes killing dogs. I got a call one day about a coyote attacking a dog and as it turns out, the person turned the dog loose to chase the yote away. Not a good decision as the coyote didn't flee. It just kicked the dogs butt. Scary part is, the dog was a trained, fighting Pit.

Don't underestimate them.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:26 am

ezzy333 wrote: And it isn't our fault that we have moved into the territory many of those preditors had ruled for years.
Whose fault is it?

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:56 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:
cjuve wrote:
If the guy shot the wolf out of malice why contact the DNR? He could've just killed it, and went on about his business like nothing happened.
Because a lot of lawbreakers are stupid. The WI DNR publishes warden reports. Read some of the reports after the gun deer season. You will shake your head at just how stupid some lawbreakers can be.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:17 am

Grange wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: And it isn't our fault that we have moved into the territory many of those preditors had ruled for years.
Whose fault is it?
I have never found the need to judge or place blame for natural occurances as it changes nothing. However, if you are one that would feel better blaming some one or something let me ask whose fault was it that the preditor's are there?

Ezzy

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:16 am

If you read my comments, actually read them, you will not find intolerance. I am merely being universally tolerant. I specifically said I WOULD defend myself and my family. I specifically said problem individuals should be dealt with.
What I refuse to agree with is that no predators can live near people at all.
They do not "deserve" the land MORE than we do or LESS than we do. They are not enemies or something to seperate ouselves from. They are part of a whole system. They are just wolves. Not good or bad. Not planning our demise or planning anything beyond their day to day survival.
It is not an issue of giving all the land back to "the predators who ruled " No one rules (but God) It is not an issue of taking the land back for our own. Both view points are wrong, IMO.
Should alligators be blamed for attacking and eating a dog? Should the dog be blamed? They are just being alligators. Should we drive them back into endagered status again? Or learn to live WITH the natural world. Protect your self when you need to. Let it be when you dont. And value what the wolf brings to the ecosystem as a whole.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:23 am

Cut me off... guess its trying to tell me something :wink:
Personally I think we should bring back fur trade and I have never been against killing in moderation for food, shelter, self defence and clothing. BUT we shouldnt have exterminated the buffalo, the wolf, the alligator, the eagle, the wild turkey, the wild quail... some of these things we have turned around. Some have been accidental. BUT hunters ESPECIALLY should be in step with the outdoors and we shouldnt plan to distance ourselves from the difficult part of nature. We should live IN it and WITH it.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:41 am

mountaindogs wrote:...Personally. I do plan to follow the example of the wild animal though and defend my own self if needed. But not by total exclusion. Rather on a case by case situation as needed.
And here is the direct quote, as I stated before.

The fact that you see me as not tolerant is pretty interesting. I am sure if you went through all my comments over the years you will find mostly inflammatory unreasonable and intolerant remarks. :roll:

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:10 am

ezzy333 wrote:
Grange wrote:
Whose fault is it?
I have never found the need to judge or place blame for natural occurances as it changes nothing. However, if you are one that would feel better blaming some one or something let me ask whose fault was it that the preditor's are there?

Ezzy
It's a person's decision to move into a predator's territory and should not be surprised when conflicts arise.

cjuve

Post by cjuve » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:20 pm

[/quote]

It's a person's decision to move into a predator's territory and should not be surprised when conflicts arise.[/quote]

Humans are the utilmate predators

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm

[quote][/quote]And for expecting everything to move out as we overpopulate our world.

That doesn't seem very tolerant to me!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:14 pm

JoshHaker wrote:
And for expecting everything to move out as we overpopulate our world.

I think you better go and read the whole quote and put it up rather than just taking a few words and changing the meaning to exactly opposite of what was originally said.

I understand that we have moved into their territory but the opposite is true also. Yotes in Chicago or even east of the Mississippi. They weren't here a few years ago. What is happening is the world changes just as it always has and there will always be conflicts because of it. we need to try and co-exist where ever possible but there are places it just can't work.

Ezzy

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:24 pm

One of the dangers of living in wolf country I suppose.

I occasionally will have a coyote that starts getting a little to comfortable being close to the house so I end his days with a well placed shot from my M4 before he ends the days of my wifes bichon.

And I agree. There are places where co-existance just isn't possible.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:52 pm

JoshHaker wrote:
And for expecting everything to move out as we overpopulate our world.

Exactly. That is not very tolerant to expect everything to move away, when we move in. glad you see my point.
But I don't expect people to give the whole place over and move out either.

JoshHaker

Post by JoshHaker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:41 am

The point I was trying to make was on the word "overpopulate."

I don't view people as a problem. I view people as pretty much the whole point of this earth. Now don't get me wrong we need to be responsible in our actions.

JWP58

Post by JWP58 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 am

Bleeding hearts.....gotta love them.

Wolves are cool animals, and I would have no problem coexisting with them, until they went after my dog. Same goes for humans. Protecting ones life and property is a basic right, I would have no problem at all giving any wolf a dirt nap if they decided to go after one of my dogs.

If the bleeding hearts cant understand that, go back to your field trial. (ya i went there)
PSA: DO NOT SELL ANYTHING TO "MRCREOLE", HE WILL RIP YOU OFF, JUST LIKE HE HAS RIPPED ME OFF (I will not edit this signature until I am paid by him)