Slowing down

WillieELk78GSP

Slowing down

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:53 pm

I have a 6 month old GSP and she is awesome, but i would like her to relax a little bit at night, the only thing i can do to get her to stop and slow down is give her a bone or kong but those seriously only last 10 to 15 min at max. Do you guys have any tricks to help me out? I like her energy when we are out in the yard or field but when we go inside i am not sure how to calm her down. Anything that will last longer than 15 min would be awesome! !! I would kennel her but she is in that thing for like 4hrs or 5 hrs a day. So i dont want to have her in there all the time. Anything helps than
God Bless

roosterbrews

Re: Slowing down

Post by roosterbrews » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 pm

I once spent a good 8 hours in the field and when we got home (year old GSP) brought me his kong to throw. I was near dead he was still ready to go. Nothing can compete with the energy of a young GSP (Brit close second). It takes a few years but they will calm down.

Deuce

Slowing down

Post by Deuce » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:05 am

Time and routine... I would have never thought my pup would settle in, but she is calming down a bit already at 8 mo

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:20 am

Lol two more years to go!!!! Mine would drive my ex crazy now that I got rid of the problem mine will sleep next to me in bed and on the couch without a problem even if I'm not sleeping. One word for your problem would be kennel.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:30 am

A dog that age (6 months) should be crate trained, so put her in her crate.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:34 am

I had a lab pup who just couldn't settle down in the evenings, and drove the rest of us crazy pacing around even if all the other dogs were just passed out sleeping while we were reading or watching TV. If I put her on leash, said nothing, and let her settle into a spot-it seemed to help. It was as if, on her own, she didn't know how to turn off her high level of busy activity. She spent a lot of time on leash in the house until she was a couple of years old and the behaviour did change. Our dogs are crated at night, so I wanted her to be able to be with us and still stay calm during the day and evening without me having to constantly be nagging at her to lay down or stay. Rooting her to the spot with a leash worked for us. Hope it gives you some relief.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:45 am

reba wrote:A dog that age (6 months) should be crate trained, so put her in her crate.
Yep. An active pup needs to be in the crate more than out when in the house. Of course, needs lots of outlets outside...

benelli

Post by benelli » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:18 am

Our 6-month-old GSP is kenneled for several hours during the day usually (and not necessarily because I'm not home, just because I like to get him out of the way every now and then and I want him to be used to not being in the action all the time), and I don't have a problem with kenneling him again at night. He's used to the routine, so he goes in quite willingly at night and lays right down. Make sure your dog has plenty of opportunity to burn off energy during the day, and once nighttime hits, it's time to calm down; he'll learn soon enough.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm

ultracarry wrote:Lol two more years to go!!!! Mine would drive my ex crazy now that I got rid of the problem mine will sleep next to me no problem
Lmfao awesome!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: