When can I up it to five miles ?

cptn

When can I up it to five miles ?

Post by cptn » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:33 pm

This is my first Brittany pup, and he's now almost 7 months. He is go go go all the time, and I've been walk/slow jogging with him every day for about three miles. I definitely watch to see any signs of tiredness, and by the end of yhe walk, he's perfectly fine. During the cooler months, I like to walk/jog five miles a day, and I plan to start pretty soon. Would five miles be too much for a 7 month pup or should I stick to just 3 with him? I'm worried about his hips and joints, and I know you're supposed to wait until they're full grown to jog/run for long periods. Which is usually about a year. But I hear that since Britts are light-weight and seem physically mature earlier, you can start doing more earlier. The trail we walk is paved, if that makes a difference. What do you think?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: When can I up it to five miles ?

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:55 pm

cptn -

I just got in from a roading session. I put a pup, born Jan, 24 of this year, in harness and roaded it for just under 1/2 hour, pulling against a horse at a flat walk(approx 3-4 mph). I have roaded this pup in the same manner, for periods in excess of forty five minutes in warmer weather.

I started out about 2 months ago having that same pup pull in harness, against me walking. I started out with the dog pulling for ten or so minutes and gradually extended the workouts as the pup's conditioning(and the air temp and humidity) allowed.

I have been doing it this way for several years, on about ten different dogs, all pointers, and have not had the slightest problem with any of them.

I honestly do not think you can hurt a youngster by free running them unless it is too hot and/or you are flat out not paying attention.

Carry water, watch the dog, and be prepared to stop and let the dog rest, if necessary.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:14 pm

Are you restricting him so he has to go beside you on the trail - same distance and same pace as you? Poor dog is probably is wondering when you will start exercising.
I would be more worried about you than the dog. Let the dog run where it wants and you give it for all you got - see who quits first.

Ghosted3

Post by Ghosted3 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:10 am

slistoe wrote:Are you restricting him so he has to go beside you on the trail - same distance and same pace as you? Poor dog is probably is wondering when you will start exercising.
I would be more worried about you than the dog. Let the dog run where it wants and you give it for all you got - see who quits first.
That is a polite way of saying the pup can handle it :D lol

Corry

cptn

Post by cptn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 am

Dang, haha. I know he can handle it, but can his young hips and bones handle it? I can't see what's going on under the skin. I definitely don't want long term problems.
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"