how well does you upland dog retrieve out of water

Fester

Post by Fester » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm not talking about labs and water dogs more toward pointers and setters, Brittneys GSP whatever
Fester

DogNewbie

Re: how well does you upland dog retrieve out of water

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:10 pm

My GWP retrieves pretty well out of water. Haven't ff him yet so if he gets bored he'll quit.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:40 pm

My GSP might as well be part lab. He just got perfect scores on his retrieving portion of the NAVHDA UT test this past weekend. He will mark out to about 100 yards at least (thats all the farther i can throw bumpers myself) and we are still working on blinds but he's getting them out to 50 yards right now. FF does help with the drive going to get the bird/bumper/ dummy. It helps with hold, return to hand, etc. I'm extremely glad that I did it before this past weekend.

It's all how you train too. You will get back what you put in. If you bust your butt working on things in a positive situation, you will eventually get a strong, talented dog. That's my .02

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

My english setter is very good at retrieving from water. She will also go swimming just to swim.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:55 pm

There you go 6670 members, 90% who have pointers and three of them retriever well on water, actually its a better ratio than I had thought. :D

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

nikegundog wrote:There you go 6670 members, 90% who have pointers and three of them retriever well on water, actually its a better ratio than I had thought. :D

LOL :lol:

All my POINTERS ( english type :wink: ) have retrieved well on water. Now can we call shorthairs shorthairs and wirehairs wirehairs....... There's only one POINTER :D
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:16 pm

LOL :lol:

All my POINTERS ( english type :wink: ) have retrieved well on water. Now can we call shorthairs shorthairs and wirehairs wirehairs....... There's only one POINTER :D[/quote]

They all have pointer at the end of their breed name so its a given. Lol

The past litter I had of "shorthairs" kept sleeping in the water bowls. We couldn't leave them unattended with water. Now they sleep in kid pools. Lol. Excellent water retrievers to. One already passed UT prize I at 16 months. The others gsps I own and have owned were all great in the water also.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 pm

Some of my Brittanys have loved water more than others. None have ever refused to go in water, but some needed coaxing to get started. If they see something go down they are all over it, water or not.

JoePaTurfShoes
Location: Kandahar City, Afghanistan........soon to be Tucson Arizona

Post by JoePaTurfShoes » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:39 am

I heard Boykin Spaniels are pretty "bleep" good in the water for flushers.

Nick Miles

Post by Nick Miles » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:07 am

An avid duck hunter was in the market for a new bird dog. His search ended when he found a pointer advertised that could actually walk on water to retrieve a duck. Shocked by his find, he purchased the young pointer and he was sure none of his friends would ever believe him.
He decided to try to break the news to a friend of his, a pessimist by nature, and invited him to hunt with him and his new pointer. As they waited by the shore, a flock of ducks flew by; they fired, and a duck fell.
The dog responded and jumped into the water. The pointer however, did not sink but instead walked across the water to retrieve the bird, never getting more than his paws wet. The friend saw everything but did not say a single word.
On the drive home the hunter asked his friend, "Did you notice anything unusual about my new dog?" "Nothing unusual" responded his friend. "Everyone knows pointers can't swim"

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:46 am

My Vizslas all retrieve to hand from water. They aren't as energetic as my labs have been but they do it well.

bhulisa

Post by bhulisa » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 am

Depends very much on the dog and the bloodlines. Many GSPs (substitute other breeds, too) are crazy about water and retrieving, and then you have a very good water dog. Some, however, simply don't like water very much, and are not very reliable as water retrievers, especially if the water is cold (I'm not talking about iced over or sub-zero conditions). If you want an upland dog that retrieves well from water, make sure the parents do. Proper introduction and training, as others have noted, are also important.

The dog below comes from a line of GSPs that have a strong water affinity and love retrieving. I do like an enthusiastic water entry :D :D
Cash5.JPG
Cash7.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:23 am

Ive got one GSP that loves to get in the water, and will retrieve from the water. I have one GSP that I believe would just assume bite me as get in water over his belly for any reason.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

mtclip

Post by mtclip » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 am

Very well !!
VC Daisy
Fiona going out for a retrieve

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am

My Llewellins retrieve out of water very good, I start them with my lab when thier pups and they take to it very well, actually thats how I break them from parading around with a bird like a pup will do, I throw it in the water and they have to bring it to me
Fester