Are we born with it?

crewzm

Are we born with it?

Post by crewzm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm

I've been working my dog on pigeons and got out last week on some pre-season wild birds. When I can I take my son with me. He is only 10 mo old so he rides in a chest harness, but I think he enjoys being out there more than me or the dog. Its amazing to watch him smile giggle sequel and clap as the dog makes a cast, quarters, and then comes back to check in. It seems I spend more time watching him and his reactions than I do the dog. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Mike

benelli

Re: Are we born with it?

Post by benelli » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:37 pm

My 16-month-old likes to interfere while I'm playing fetch with our 6-month-old GSP - if the dog isn't fast enough, the kid will pick up the tennis ball and hold it hostage for a while, and then throw it (only about three feet). The dog will scamper after it and bring it back to me, and the kid laughs hysterically. The two of them are quite a pair.

Fester

Post by Fester » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm feeling really old right now :cry:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:25 pm

I can't answer the question for everybody, but I sure seem to have been born with it. :D

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 pm

Me too, Charlie!! :D

I'm sure it's been said before, but where can you find a better experience than being out in God's country watching some of the most amazing creatures on the planet do their thing?

Mike - that's cool you take your son with you. Many years ago, I did the same thing with my boy in a backpack until he got too heavy for me to pack up the hills. We had a crib in the bow of our fishing boat, and he caught his first fish at about 18 months. Now, he's a hard-core outdoorsman, and is really only at home out there himself. It's in his blood as it is in mine.

iowahntr4

Post by iowahntr4 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 pm

I have a 9 month old son that LOVES my GSP. He crawls over to the window and stands and watches when I take the dog out. He sometimes comes along when I take the pup out to run. I think he too loves being out there more than I do. Start them young!

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:49 pm

Mike - that's cool you take your son with you. Many years ago, I did the same thing with my boy in a backpack until he got too heavy for me to pack up the hills. We had a crib in the bow of our fishing boat, and he caught his first fish at about 18 months. Now, he's a hard-core outdoorsman, and is really only at home out there himself. It's in his blood as it is in mine.
That's awesome!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 pm

I've Been going hunting with my dad since I was in diapers. So to continue the tradition I brought my now two year old son with me this year and last year on a couple early season hunts and it was just awesome having him along. I carried him on my shoulders like my dad did for me and he's loved going with since. When its just a gentlemens hunt and I don't bring him or late season because of the cold he gets very upset. Truly there just isn't a better day out in gods land wiruthout him hackering about every bird or dog on point or flush its just great. The first couple flushes were the best he just lit up in joy of the bird coming out of thick brush and sailing on.
He's a great dog trainer to. I bring him with on training session in yard or field and he's always telling the dogs what to do. They listen to him to. He says woah they woah he says fetch they fetch. Its awesome seeing the dogs work for him. I think some are just naturally born to hunt.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:20 am

When I told my mom I was buying a dog she said I'd been thinking about it for about 23 years....I bought him when I was 24

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:45 am

All of my boys have worked dogs in one of those front packs. It got to be a bit much when I had two of them with me though. (you try one on the front and one on the back) :lol: My oldest is pushing 8 and LOVES to ride his horse while I work dogs. He also is a big help when I need someone to flush for me :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 am

I know you're born with it.

My family didn't partake in any outdoor activities and never encouraged hunting of any kind but as a 4+ year old kid, I would pour over catalogs picking out what guns I wanted to have when I got older and would even make my own bows/arrows with sticks, fishing line and steel dart tips! I begged and begged to go hunting with my cousin until they finally let me go when I was 12 years old.

My son has a much softer heart and likes the outdoors and loves to fish but I know that taking game animals will be hard on him. My daughter however is wired just like me and, at 3-4 years old, would point at all the stuffed animals in Cabela's/Scheel's, etc. say "Bam" as we went by. I never encouraged her to do that and it actually surprised the heck out me the first time she did it but somehow she just keyed into that aspect on her own. For whatever reason, she doesn't like the smell or taste of red meat (my son LOVES it) and just likes fish/chicken but she still wants to go hunting.....go figure!! :wink:

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm

My oldest son, when a baby, would stop crying when looking up into the trees. Never fail if we had a bad fussy day I could carry him outside and stand under a tree and he was at peace. My other one used to fall asleep on ranger rides with us as a toddler. I also carried him in a kelty backpack carrier while my husband bird hunted. He had youth ear protectio just in case but I always stood WAY back. Was awfully fun and he usually fell asleep in the carrier also. Heavy tho. :)

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:29 pm

Yeah, I think we're born with it... and one of the best gifts of being a parent is the pleasure of watching it grow in our children... Both of my kids are avid outdoorsmen now... I've posted about it before, but when my son was 3 months old, I brought home a black lab puppy... my wife cudda killed me... My daughter named him "Ruff" and my son learned to walk holding onto his ear... We lost Ruff two years ago... my daughter is off to college and my son is 6'2" now... But yeah... they were born with it!.. 8)
Meg n Ruff-2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Those are awesome pics! I'm sure there was a river of tears when Ruff passed..... :cry:

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 pm

Nebraska wrote:Those are awesome pics! I'm sure there was a river of tears when Ruff passed..... :cry:
Yes, there were!.. But there is always new hope in a puppy!.. A great old dog can never be replaced! But thank Heavens there is always room in a family's heart for a new dog to earn it's own place. 8) My teenage son has learned alot (so have I) about pointing breeds and patience in dog training... Right now she's under the blanket with my son on the couch all smug about the shed she found... :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
- Mark Twain.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:56 am

My older brother and I worked the brush for my dad and eventually he bought a yellow lab that we spent all of our time with. He used to cart us around (before I was 1) and take us fishing with him. Think we spend every weekend Im the mountains until I went to HS and had sports and homework.

I was on a hunting trip last year when my dad sent me this picture.... Yes I had two black eyes, my brother and I would solve our own problems lol. And that's a rattle snake I was sitting next to while stream fishing. I think I was 4 or 5. my dad Said it was his favorite picture he was looking for for a few years.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:51 am

Great pics Shortfat, especially the bottom pic, that's priceless!!!