Backing dog question

Gertie

Backing dog question

Post by Gertie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:52 am

So right now I have a setter that I'm doing my best to train myself and a rescue cow dog that's pretty smart. My next big thing (other than getting the setter genuinely 'broke') is getting her to "honor" or "back". What I'm wondering is if anyone has tried and succeeded with teaching a non-pointing breed to stand at a 'stay' and used it to train a pointing dog to honor? Just curious if anyone has tried this and would it be a worth while endeavor? If so, how did you go about it. As always, I'm intensely curious about your experience and appreciative of anything you would care to share.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Backing dog question

Post by DonF » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:06 am

I have a silhouette here somewhere if you want it. She should start pretty easy if Squirt and Bodie did and they did. Especially Bodie. Next time your here let's just set her up in some backs.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

tailcrackin

Post by tailcrackin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:38 am

Hey Don, that is good of you to help. I will also allow dogs that I am helping learn to back, also point during the drill. That way there is an "equal" between the two. You point, then I will, you point, then I will......rotate the driver. hahaha Thanks Jonesy
"Don't make it happen. Get it ready and let it happen"
- Ray Hunt
www.jonesysgundogs.com

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:47 am

Use the silouette and a bird launcher as Don suggests,trying to use another dog at the onset can be a fiasco,been there and done it.Put the launcher directly behind the mass of the body of the silouette,when you know good and well the dog has made visual contact with the dummy dog,pop the bird.This will work for you very quickly if the dog will stop to flush prior to teaching the honoring.As you progress move the launcher from behind the silouette to out in front of it's nose as a bird would be in real life.Don't be afraid to shoot birds out of the launcher for the Honoring dog to retrieve as a reward.Far less heartburn involved with using the plywood versus training your cattledog to stand still,you'll need to produce birds infront of the cattledog for it to be real world beleiveable.If you don't produce birds you could end up with your dog backing poopers.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:13 am

Just do your best to draw one on cardboard, cut it out and paint it white whith a couple of dark spots. It doesn't have to be perfect and will take a lot less time then training the other dog to stand still.

Like the other poster said, that's a recipe for disaster.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:21 am

I would do what was said above with the wooden dog. Use a launcher.
As soon as your dog sees the other dog woah him. Then style him up giving him a good boy. Stand in front of him to the side and away, but not obstructing his view of pointing dog stair him down and release the bird and fire a blank. If he move yell woah and set him back. I wouldn't allow him to retrieve the bird its not his it belongs to the other dog. Heel him away in the opposite direction.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 am

Thanks folks. Sounds like I was definitely headed towards doing things the hard way. I think I'll abandon that idea full stop and give the cardboard dog a shot. Thanks again.
'Dogs don't live long enough. Their only flaw really.' A.S. Turnbull
'Gertie'

uplandguide

Post by uplandguide » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Gertie, go with plywood. it will last untill your next dog you decide to train. If you come thru Moro anytime soon let me know and Ill send you home with a nice one that looks like a setter! I can get it back this spring! I have a couple.
Mcshane's Bringing on another Chance "Hattie" NA PR 1

Sire : DC Gambles Sam Man MH UT PR1
Dam : Friedelsheim's Greenwood Greta NA PR1

Jesse