Dog in foot trap

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog in foot trap

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:39 am

You would think but DON'T BET ON IT!! :)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:03 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Hopefully, you destroyed the trap. :!:
:twisted: See what I mean?

mobeasto123

Post by mobeasto123 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:00 pm

It happened to my dog 2 years ago.. We were in a creek that I tought were promising for grouse. Suddendly I heard my dog that was yelling in the woods maybe 100 feet in front of me.. When I get to him his nose had a big sweeling. I looked around there was a kind of wooden box with a kind of small conibear in it.. I think it was for martens or some small animal.. Finally my dog had a broken teeth and a big hump on his nose for about a month.. Nothing was there to tell me that there were traps.. I was really sad about this..

Last year it was in a Fox snare... the guy was baiting the foxes with grouse feather and intestines. My dog had just a bell at that moment I tought he was near I the wood and maybe I been distrated for a moment but suddendly the bell stopped but I had no idea where the dog was.. I looked for him a few moments but didn't found him so I called him back still no dog .. At this moment I was worried cause my dog always come to the first Call... I finally found him maybe 3-4 minutes later he was stuck in that snare but maybe he was smarter than a fox.. He wasnt moving at all so the snare didn't tighted around his neck .. He wasn't moving but he was ok. I was pretty much happy when I found him.. Nothing again to tell me that snares were there

David
David & ''Hunter ''

Why put off until tomorrow a thing that we could do next week , next month or next year !!!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:24 pm

No I didn't destroy it. I'm not big on destroying others property. We thought about leaving a shell next to the trap so the trapper would know a dog got stuck in it, but that could come off as threatening and we didn't want that. If I had some paper and a pen I probably would've left a note, but we ended up just leaving it closed. Didn't feel like I was required to reset it.

AtTheMurph

Post by AtTheMurph » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:47 pm

My younger dog got caught in a foot trap last season. Scared the crap out of me but as soon as he was out he didn't care. Went right back to hunting.

My older dog got caught in a coyote snare several years ago. I didn't notice right away and had waled at least 100yds when I couldn't find him. He was hung up in the thing in a hole in a wire fence and I had one heck of a time getting him loose. He had tried to get out and had continued to cinch himself tighter and I had almost no room to get the thing loose and the truck was a couple miles away. That shook me.

But that's the way it goes. Trappers have as much right to do their thing as I do mine. I always ask the landowners now if they have anyone trapping their property just so I know what they're trapping and I look for signs of the traps. On my own land I have found all sorts of traps set and I don't give permission so I confiscate. One brazen guy even called me as said he would come over and pick his traps up from my house! Sort of like the poacher whose tree stand I confiscated off my land. He wanted it back.....

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I trap coyotes for the state and I'm proud of the fact that I've never caught someones dog even though I often trap in urban areas. If you throw something over their head they go into almost a sleep state.
How do you control that? Or is it more just the luck of the draw?
I won't use foot snares where there is a chance to catch domestics and neck snares are setup on coyote trails or where they cross under fences. When in doubt I won't set traps but rather shoot or dart them. Sometimes I have to use boxes.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:36 pm

I've never had a coyote die or even seriously get injured by a neck snare and most of those had been there for hours struggling. I did hang a fox but I knew when i set that one that was going to happen. Clamps are illegal in Cali so it's all snares or boxes.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:34 pm

slistoe wrote:Trappers are by far the most maligned, harassed and persecuted group of outdoor sportsmen there are - many times from within our own ranks.
I wish that all trappers were "sportsmen", professionals or serious hobbyists but I reckon that casts too wide a net.
Around here folks trap to kill coyotes they believe are impacting their deer and all else in the woods occupies a secondary position.
Snares are most often used because they are cheap, easy and...effective. Whether a dog caught in a snare is harmed or not is often based on the dog's reaction...some may lay still and others may thrash around doing an injury apart from the snare itself.
I'd destroy a trap that caught one of my dogs in an instant!
And pay for it if I had to...."bleep" snares!

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:47 pm

Now you see how BRAZEN people can be! It's against the law but Bleep the law I guess! :roll:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:01 pm

For my dog...yep.
If the trappers would clean up some of the unprofessionals in their midst setting traps then I might feel differently.
Otherwise, I respond with an attitude of, I could not care less...same as some, only some, with set snares. :evil:

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:04 pm

don't get caught tempering with a trap i believe its illegal in minnesota, btw the other 10-20 % of anti's that dont live in the city live in a log home on a lake and freak out it you cut down a tree :roll:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Yep & alot of city folk buy property in the country & get upset if they hear a dog bark,smell a fire burning,or hear gunshots even though they should be used to the Gunshots!! :lol:

Oh & DON'T SHOOT BAMBI!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:12 pm

Were I to tamper then one of my dogs would have been in that trap or snare....otherwise, no problem.
Have seen many traps in Iowa and some in Pa...... simply take pains to avoid them.
Deer hunter set snares....a selfish deal which folks like to ignore.
Same as deer feeders plumping up nest predators.
Especially here in Ohio.

While anti-hunters are an issue, a greater issue is when the non-hunters turn against Bambi hunting, or whatever.
Anti-hunters and non-hunters are two seperate groups....the latter we as hunters have a chance to affect....if we are smart.
I expect tho that we are too quick to protect and come to the aid of anyone remotely classed as a hunter....no matter what they do, if legal.
Big mistake.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 pm

IF I caught destroying my property it would cost you more then the price of a trap.If you don't believe me ask the guy that tried to run me & a friend of mine off his neighbors property that we had permission to hunt.Because he had pot planted on it & didn't want us to find it,he tried it once.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Deleted...no sense or gain in lowering myself to match the Internet tough guy level I was addressing.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:36 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:You would think but DON'T BET ON IT!! :)
most trappers use same scents. most of dogs REMEMBER that .i guess some could do it over again.
i seen some dogs get a porky 3 times. :?

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:40 pm

Never said anything about the dog did I ? :lol: pothead or not I'm 65 & been in a bar fight or 2 use to enjoy it! Might be fun. :lol:

Mountanier your right besides I think you already lowered yourself enough.I'm not tough just mean what I say.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:46 pm

Jim dogs that have run ins with porkies only get worse from what I have heard.Dogs also get bit by snakes more then once if they live through it.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:...I'm not tough just mean what I say.
:D Deleted again....Sometimes it takes awhile to understand the problem with which one is dealing. Kinda sad.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:01 pm

[quote="just mean what I say.[/quote

Like when you had a little tantrum and quit the forum after realizing you are old and don't know what you were talking about?

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:04 pm

Winchey wrote:[quote="just mean what I say.[/quote

Like when you had a little tantrum and quit the forum after realizing you are old and don't know what you were talking about?
ha,i remember when i told some i was hunting for 46 yrs and only 58 years old.they said, jim you old fart 8) i had to laugh :lol:

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:09 pm

I am old & might not know what I'm talking about but come destroy something that belongs to me youngin who THINKS he knows it ALL!! :lol: You don't have BIG enough Testicles!! :wink:

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Baha. I enjoy your posts, you need to get off the computer and run some dogs once in a while and blow off some steam.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:42 pm

Mountaineer wrote: :D Deleted again....Sometimes it takes awhile to understand the problem with which one is dealing. Kinda sad.
From where I sit the problem is you have an attitude that the rest of sportsmen would do well to be rid themselves of.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Experience can help choose a seat at the table, yes.

I do prefer to use the term "sportsmen" a bit more carefully than some.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:13 pm

So when you look in the mirrow do you see a sportsmen? I would call some one that admits he would destroy another mans property a criminal.
Winchey what would you call them??

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Mountaineer wrote: I do prefer to use the term "sportsmen" a bit more carefully than some.
I dig what you are laying down. I don't use the term sportsman to apply to boors, selfish louts and entitled brats.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:34 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:So when you look in the mirrow do you see a sportsmen? I would call some one that admits he would destroy another mans property a criminal.
Winchey what would you call them??

Well if the property is a 50 cent piece of aircraft cable I would consider them as hardened a criminal as someone who admits to fighting at bars lol.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Good answer but guess what I fought at school also & bars or school was never arrested for fighting at a bar or had a detention or in my day swats so maybe that should tell you something.I never started a fight but I finished a few & was an honor student,It wasn't cool to be an honor student & be a boy when I went to school & always some tough guy as I was called earlier tonight looking to bully some one.
The problem is I was taught by my parents to stand up for myself. :wink:

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:05 am

slistoe wrote:
Mountaineer wrote: I do prefer to use the term "sportsmen" a bit more carefully than some.
I dig what you are laying down. I don't use the term sportsman to apply to boors, selfish louts and entitled brats.
I reckon it must be good to dig :?: .....I do reserve the term sportsman to others beside deerhunters who use snares to simply protect deer and check those snares far from any advised schedule. You choose to believe such a "trapper" does not exist implys that your agenda is blinding you to the bad actors who trap(in the narrowest sense of the word...trap).
Ignore them and they are not there, i guess is your attitude.
Works well on the Internet where it is easiest to keep the discussion on the widest topic of Legal Trapping vs. Others but less well if a birddog is thrashing in a deerhunter's snare.

Sportsman, to me, can have many meanings but one would be a concern for use proper procedure for whatever activity they choose in the woods or fields, an understanding that they do not exist in a vacuum, legal or not, on public lands and, a sportsman is able to fight thru their selfishness toward the honesty that not all human activity afield is run according to Hoyle.

I suspect that I will never destroy a snare...odds are that I will not.
But I would under certain bad conditions and regardless of any legality or consequence.....However, I accept that many would not and am pleased that I could never understand those folks.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:41 am

Blah, Blah, Blah.

Fellow posts on here about his dog being caught in a supposedly legally placed leg hold trap. Your response:
Hopefully, you destroyed the trap. :!:
Which you then followed up with:
I'd destroy a trap that caught one of my dogs in an instant!
which are absolute, blanket statements. So save the ethics lesson.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 am

Yes....but I also inconveniently mentioned the realities in many areas...so sorry.
Hard for you to see I know but I suspect that you will never let realities intrude on an agenda.
Make it a good day.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:24 am

Reality Check:
There are bad actors in every facet of our outdoor sporting life.
Your personal agenda would have you throw one entire segment of sportsmen under the bus because of an ill-conceived notion that it will somehow save you.
We don't need anti's to bring us down - we need only folks like you who can't see the forest for the trees. Self absorbed, entitled actors who don't deserve to be included in the term "sportsmen".

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:01 am

Mountaineer wrote:Yes....but I also inconveniently mentioned the realities in many areas...so sorry.
Hard for you to see I know but I suspect that you will never let realities intrude on an agenda.
Make it a good day.

sir, i have feeling you have NICE side to you 8) think about way you are coming accross to most of us on here? :o
no need to be way you are ,your tips and advice are welcome and we could learn things from you and you from us.

how about it? 8)

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:35 am

slistoe wrote:Reality Check:
There are bad actors in every facet of our outdoor sporting life.
Your personal agenda would have you throw one entire segment of sportsmen under the bus because of an ill-conceived notion that it will somehow save you.
We don't need anti's to bring us down - we need only folks like you who can't see the forest for the trees. Self absorbed, entitled actors who don't deserve to be included in the term "sportsmen".
Nope...just a portion of one segment who are masquerading as sportsman.
It's nice to be able to differentiate good from bad w/o fear of bringing down the whole shebang.
And, your last sentence does describe them well....my cap is off to you.

JK...here is a bit of ruffed grouse advice.
When grouse are at a low portion of the decline curve, one does not need to shoot one to kill one. :idea:
Hunt them too often or at a bad time and you will open them to stress when food is at a lower nuitritional value and may open them to greater predator affect thru displacment out of their homerange cover as but two examples...in the Apps.
It is not a given and there are other issues they face but please consider.
Shooting "over their heads" can carry a level of harm that I expect you would not want.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:21 am

ok, i will shoot other direction. :wink:

Killer Instinct

Post by Killer Instinct » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:48 am

Here's some quick instructions regarding how to get a dog out of a connibear trap. Due to an incident that happened here in town a few yrs ago,
http://www.adn.com/2008/12/18/626644/ma ... pping.html , both the hubby & I talked with some trappers at their convention on how to get a dog released from a connibear trap and were directed to this site.

http://www.terrierman.com/traprelease.htm
.·´¯`·... ><((((º> Tammy ·.¸. ><((((º> .·´¯`·.

Image Image Image Image

Plum Thickets Emma
Northern Lights Abby

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:34 pm

i only trap privat land for the most part anyway i trap muskrats on public but most dogs feet wouldnt fit in thos traps and if they did they would be able to pull right out.
i use connibears for beaver but yet agian those are placed in spots dogs shouldnt be. al lot of people that have negitive opinions of traping usually dont know much about it its always hearsay oh a freind of a friend's dog was killed. not saying it doesnt happen because it sure can exspecialy with snares. i cary a leatherman with me when im hunting just incase my dog hapens into one or barb wire that mavrick is so fond off. traps can be set to target certin game selecting the right size and adjusting spring tension right. but if its set for yotes a dog will get caught just as easy but allot of times the animial can be released with little more than some bruises.

fur prices are the highest they have been since the 70,s i wouldnt be at all suprissed to see more traps out bird hunting
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:39 pm

birddogsunlimited wrote:i only trap privat land for the most part anyway i trap muskrats on public but most dogs feet wouldnt fit in thos traps and if they did they would be able to pull right out.
i use connibears for beaver but yet agian those are placed in spots dogs shouldnt be. al lot of people that have negitive opinions of traping usually dont know much about it its always hearsay oh a freind of a friend's dog was killed. not saying it doesnt happen because it sure can exspecialy with snares. i cary a leatherman with me when im hunting just incase my dog hapens into one or barb wire that mavrick is so fond off. traps can be set to target certin game selecting the right size and adjusting spring tension right. but if its set for yotes a dog will get caught just as easy but allot of times the animial can be released with little more than some bruises.

fur prices are the highest they have been since the 70,s i wouldnt be at all suprissed to see more traps out bird hunting

we tried to get the trappers to mark their conibear traps with sign but most did not like that idea.
afraid someone would steal traps.
my pup is SM. he is only 7 months old.woodcock are near beaver areas.
yesterday whiskers went out in swamp, i new he smelled the trappers scent on trap.

they really go after scent.

rja

Post by rja » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:46 pm

Hopefully this is on topic enough...

But related to foot traps, snares, etc. What do you guys carry with you on a hunt in case your dog gets trapped in something?

I went out to hunt wild birds somewhat recently for the first time with my dog, and I suddenly became keenly aware that I didn't have anything to cut barbed wire if he would end up tangled in some.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

rja wrote:Hopefully this is on topic enough...

But related to foot traps, snares, etc. What do you guys carry with you on a hunt in case your dog gets trapped in something?

I went out to hunt wild birds somewhat recently for the first time with my dog, and I suddenly became keenly aware that I didn't have anything to cut barbed wire if he would end up tangled in some.
I carry my leatherman - it's most practical purpose for the most real danger is to remove porcupine quills. However I could cut barb wire with if if I ever needed to - not sure how a dog is going to become entangled that I would have to cut them free, but whatever, I could if needed.
For the traps I carry nothing - I simply would open the trap. Yes, I can set a 330 Conibear without a mechanical aid. For snares I would simply remove the snare - no need to cut the wire if you know how to loosen the mechanism.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:48 pm

JIM K wrote: he is only 7 months old.woodcock are near beaver areas.
yesterday whiskers went out in swamp, i new he smelled the trappers scent on trap.

Unless he is swimming in a beaver run where a beaver would swim he shouldn't have any worries. Really, it would be pretty tough for a dog to get in a Conibear set for beaver.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:42 am

slistoe wrote:
JIM K wrote: he is only 7 months old.woodcock are near beaver areas.

Unless he is swimming in a beaver run where a beaver would swim he shouldn't have any worries. Really, it would be pretty tough for a dog to get in a Conibear set for beaver.

true. you are right.but worry is there.usually i can see stick or rod used to hold trap and get whiskers and toby away.
toby will not get closer than 5 ft from trap after getting in one before.
snares he will not go to them also but whiskers is due to step in snare or trap.
some dogs go nuts in snare and can choke themselves before you get there if they dont bark or cry.
some dogs will bite you, i have finger that needed 5 stiches to prove that.