Dog in foot trap

DogNewbie

Dog in foot trap

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:24 am

Hey all,

Had a scary end to my Saturday hunt this weekend. My pup, Briar, stepped into a foot trap. Luckily, the jaws didn't have teeth and it didn't catch him around the ankle but instead trapped his foot so the jaws were squeezing his paw flat. Took my dad and I about 5 minutes to calm down and figure out the trap and get him out but when we did he took two steps with a limp and then started hunting like nothing happened. Shows no signs of tenderness or anything. Shook me up more than him. Here in MN, trappers aren't required to post their traps or anything, and it seems like a simple and easy way to help avoid this sort of thing from happening. In this case, my dad and I had time to have a conversation about what we thought Briar was sniffing before he stepped in the trap. If I had had some indication that he was sniffing a trap I could've whoa'd him and gotten him away safely. Obviously, that's not going to prevent anything if the dog is off a ways, but it would've helped in this case. Curious to see if other states have stricter legislation for trappers?

Tim

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog in foot trap

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am

I had a similar thing happen to the wife years ago. Her dog was running and ran over the trap. It caught her by the foot also but scared the daylights out of her. She could not get the trap open so cut the chain with bolt cutters and took her home. It was a government trap and I called them and got such a line of crap from them you wouldn't believe it. The trapper came by and told me I was lucky it wasn't a poison trap or the dog would be dead. The gov trappers here have to post the area but other's don't have to. They just go set the things and walk away. I will say, I ran into a trapper once while working dogs, and he told me where he had traps out. Posting was not required.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 am

DonF wrote:I had a similar thing happen to the wife years ago. Her dog was running and ran over the trap. It caught her by the foot also but scared the daylights out of her. She could not get the trap open so cut the chain with bolt cutters and took her home. It was a government trap and I called them and got such a line of crap from them you wouldn't believe it. The trapper came by and told me I was lucky it wasn't a poison trap or the dog would be dead. The gov trappers here have to post the area but other's don't have to. They just go set the things and walk away. I will say, I ran into a trapper once while working dogs, and he told me where he had traps out. Posting was not required.
Poison trap??? Is that still legal??

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:20 am

That was a lot of years ago. the trapper told me they only use poison where the snow keeps traps from working. Couple weeks later he did put out some poison and posted the area where no one ever entered the property. If it's still legal I don't know but even if it isn't I would not trust that anyone would not slip it in.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 am

I'm not aware of, if posting would be required, the proximity of the posting to the trap. And if it would be placed relatively close, how would that prevent your dog from getting in one.....if he ranges at all?

Why isn't posting required? Well, from the conversations I've had with trappers, is posting increases theft and vandalism of their property.
Dan

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:46 am

Just be happy it was a foot trap. They are banned here because they are considered inhumane so all ours are quick kill.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 am

Wyndancer wrote:I'm not aware of, if posting would be required, the proximity of the posting to the trap. And if it would be placed relatively close, how would that prevent your dog from getting in one.....if he ranges at all?

Why isn't posting required? Well, from the conversations I've had with trappers, is posting increases theft and vandalism of their property.
Normally he does range far enough away where I wouldn't have been able to prevent it, but it was the end of the day and he was starting to slow down a bit. Even if they had to post at the public parking lots that they have traps on this piece of land I think would be helpful. Maybe I'm a bit naive as too how many people trap still but I can't image a ton do. I'd think it'd be fairly easy to see the parking lot post and move on to check out the next piece of public land. Maybe most the public land has traps on it. I don't know. I must say, having never seen a live animal in a trap before, this experience put me in the trapping is inhumane group. (I've obviously gained a large bias against trapping this weekend....don't mean to offend any trappers on here. I just wouldn't do it personally.) My pup was in some serious pain. So much so that he bit me three times when I was trying to help him. Sure glad I had my dad there to help out because I think it would've been a tough job to do by myself.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 am

Winchey wrote:Just be happy it was a foot trap. They are banned here because they are considered inhumane so all ours are quick kill.
Is that what a conibear trap is considered?

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:57 am

Newbie,

were you guys hunting pheasants out west? was it on a WMA or private land. Or did this happen up north chasin ruffs? My dog got caught in a snare last November in the grouse woods. I hate having to worry about traps and snares in the woods now. I think the season just opened this weekend. Soon there will be wolf traps in the woods also, not sure what they consist of, but there will be a story comming out about a dog that got caught in one of those also. I understand why people trap, but not a big fan of the practice, at least a leg hold won't kill like a conibear, those things need more regulation in my opinion.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:10 am

We were on wma a little west of the cities. I'm sure glad it wasnt a conibear.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:19 am

DogNewbie wrote:We were on wma a little west of the cities
I don't like hunting public land close to metro areas, I think those areas are the biggest threat. ALot more people to share the piece of land with. But then again it could happen anywhere. Do you think that trap was set legally? If so it might have been put out there just that day.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:28 am

I don't think it was illegal. It looked like it had a registered tag on the chain and it was on public land. I was thinking the same thing about how close to the cities we were. Trappers have to check their traps daily so hunting land in an area that is less populated would logically decrease the chance of running into a trap.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:18 pm

People complain about trappers and the loss of bird populations, almost in the same breath at times. These two go hand in hand. The less critters out there equal higher bird populations will grow, there is a clear relationship. Unfortunately there is always a risk when running your dog, skunks, procupines, wolves, coyotes, badgers etc. No one has a problem with trappers after a dog gets tangled up with one of these do they? In fact we all scream that we NEED more trappers. Your dog could have as easily ran out into the road and been run over (this happens quite frequently) and I dont hear of anyone asking for more regulations on driving because of it. :roll:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:34 pm

My brother-in-law's GWP got caught in a foot trap this weekend grouse hunting in Northern WI. The trap was not legal as it did not have any owner identification. My father's brittany almost died in a conibear trap about 5 years ago. That time however the trap was legal. My father tried to get the law changed where a trapper trapping on public land had to post notice that there were traps in the area. The trapping folks came out against it and killed the effort.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm

I've always contributed low bird populations to loss of habitat not because of predators. I have nothing wrong with wolves, coyotes, skunks, porcupine etc. I will take meansures to protect my dog from them however. I have nothing wrong with someone wanting to trap. I would just like to avoid this happening to my dog again. I do think trapping is less humane than hunting and would like to avoid this from happening again. I'm not sure how trapping and driving are related in anyway. I've taken precautions with my dog to prevent him from getting hit by a car. Can't really do that with traps, so it'd be nice to have an alternive system of prevention.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm not really a fan of trapping my self, but they have as much right to do it as we do to run dogs and some do both. There is lots of room out there. After almost losing a pup to a coyote snare last fall I don't turn a dog loose when there might be traps and snares without a garmin. I also carry a set of snare cutters and a couple pieces of rope. I picked up a used conibear trap for 10 bucks as well and got quick at opening it.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Winchey wrote:I'm not really a fan of trapping my self, but they have as much right to do it as we do to run dogs and some do both. There is lots of room out there. After almost losing a pup to a coyote snare last fall I don't turn a dog loose when there might be traps and snares without a garmin. I also carry a set of snare cutters and a couple pieces of rope. I picked up a used conibear trap for 10 bucks as well and got quick at opening it.
Yeah I was thinking of buying other traps as well, just for familiarity. Didn't like the feeling of not knowing what to do or how to open the trap. We figured it out, but there was about 3 minutes of chaos that could've been avoided if I'd only known how to release the trap....I know now I guess...

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:16 pm

topher40 wrote:Your dog could have as easily ran out into the road and been run over (this happens quite frequently) and I dont hear of anyone asking for more regulations on driving because of it.
I don't understand this comparison when this topic comes up or a chance encounter with a wolf or coyote or bobcat or whatever. Of course your dog has a better chance of getting hit by a car! There is thousands of miles of roadway out there and millions of vehicles on the road. This comparison is idiotic IMHO.... Heck a deer has a better chance of being hit by a car than eaten by a wolf or coyote.

There needs to be trapping, but what there really needs by FAR is more habitat for the birds, abeit more CRP or more new growth or whatever the birds need.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Trapping has been as much a part or more of this countries beginnings & traditon as hunting & has as much right to be here as hunting though some may not like it.
That's one of the problems of this country people want to condem rights of others to benefit themselves instead of sticking to gather to benefit all of us.
No matter what it is some one will be against it,America became the Greatest Country in the world because in the beginning every one was pretty much in the same boat & they all helped each other.
Today everyone wants to fight each other over things they don't agree with instead of trying to understand we all have different interests & have as much rights to enjoy those intersts as the next person.

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:42 pm

DogNewbie wrote:Maybe I'm a bit naive as too how many people trap still but I can't image a ton do.
The last number I saw was about 5k trappers in MN.
Dan

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:48 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Trapping has been as much a part or more of this countries beginnings & traditon as hunting & has as much right to be here as hunting though some may not like it.
That's one of the problems of this country people want to condem rights of others to benefit themselves instead of sticking to gather to benefit all of us.
No matter what it is some one will be against it,America became the Greatest Country in the world because in the beginning every one was pretty much in the same boat & they all helped each other.
Today everyone wants to fight each other over things they don't agree with instead of trying to understand we all have different interests & have as much rights to enjoy those intersts as the next person.
I don't remember a single person writing that they thought people didn't have the right to trap. Personally, if anything, I'm trying to brainstorm ways that we can make the relationship work better. As a dog owner I'd really like to avoid risking my dogs health. It'd be nice if we could figure out a way where traps can be identified.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Wyndancer wrote:
DogNewbie wrote:Maybe I'm a bit naive as too how many people trap still but I can't image a ton do.
The last number I saw was about 5k trappers in MN.
That doesn't seem like a lot

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm

DogNewbie wrote:if anything, I'm trying to brainstorm ways that we can make the relationship work better. As a dog owner I'd really like to avoid risking my dogs health. It'd be nice if we could figure out a way where traps can be identified.
Some whine about the threat of the wolve, now a trap. Your dogs health is alot more at risk with other elements in this world.

Many of our friends trap. My husband use to run a small trap line. For some it's a way of life and part of there income. Trappers enjoy there outdoor activaty as much as we enjoy bird hunting,

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:09 pm

Identified as what? If you want to indentify what kind then study them & learn as you would species of ducks,game animals etc.Identified as to whose traps they are if the are legal they should be marked but
that won't stop a dog from getting caught in one .I have never set the first trap in my life but my dad trapped when I was a youngster & use to take me with him while running his trap line some times,he also carried a Shotgun & hunted while checking them.I have had more then one dog caught in foot hold traps & never once was a dog injured even enough to limp afterwards,I have seen people stick their hands & fingers in them & set them off to show they don't break bones,only hold.The dog is initially started by the snap & of course tries to pull free which i'm sure causes some pain but once settled & calmed to stand still don't show much pain & you can easily remove it.I've never dealt with any of the kill traps & don't want to but if it's legal not much you can do about it.
I do have an SKB 20 gauge O/U that has some pretty ugly teeth marks where my dog grabbed a hold of it when I walked over to release her while she was fighting the trap but once settled down allowed me to release her with no problems.People say they should't be set on public grounds but even private ground in some states can be hunted by the public unless posted NO HUNTING.

Oh just a little side note I know I'm old,senile, & out of touch in todays society,I get reminded of that almost every day on here & every where else!!! :roll:
Last edited by Vonzeppelinkennels on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm

DogNewbie wrote:
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Trapping has been as much a part or more of this countries beginnings & traditon as hunting & has as much right to be here as hunting though some may not like it.
I don't remember a single person writing that they thought people didn't have the right to trap. Personally, if anything, I'm trying to brainstorm ways that we can make the relationship work better. As a dog owner I'd really like to avoid risking my dogs health. It'd be nice if we could figure out a way where traps can be identified.
If you can identify a traps location before your dog gets to it the dog is hunting way too close. I like the idea of posting ground that is being trapped but also understand why they don't want it posted as I have seen many times how our fellow hunters and trappers will steal anything that is not tied down. We need to do a better job of policing our own people.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:34 pm

ezzy333 wrote: I like the idea of posting ground that is being trapped but also understand why they don't want it posted as I have seen many times how our fellow hunters and trappers will steal anything that is not tied down.
Maybe we should be required to post land when when we as hunters enter the woods. City hunter uneducated about the ways of the wilderness and the dog bites. Makes about as much since

Kona dawg

Dog in foot trap

Post by Kona dawg » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Just a note also. I had a dog get caught in a trap and he was going crazy. Actually bit the pants leg off one of my buddy. Panicked a bit, then took my jacket off and threw over him. Seem to calm him a ton and was able to get him out. Without the jacket no way

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm

conibear traps laws have changed in minnesota in the past couple of years because of the canada lynxs, which may help lessen the chance of a dog getting caught in one,but leg hold traps can be dangerous also pay attend to the trapping seasons, martin and fisher season is in late november which is very popular among trappers,in years past when i use to trapped we lost a couple hundred dollars worth of traps to a theif, can't imagine how much stuff would have been taken if we would posted a trapping in progress sign,i think trapping and bird #s go hand in hand so we need to get along. read minnesotas trapping regs which my help you identify improperly set traps,and seasons, i havnt read the wolf trapping regs, but would think is the most likely way to catch a dog, i glad to hear the dog is alright, just my two cents

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:55 pm

I trap coyotes for the state and I'm proud of the fact that I've never caught someones dog even though I often trap in urban areas. If you throw something over their head they go into almost a sleep state.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:49 pm

The reason we have ridiculous rules like the banning of leg hold traps is because when the AR freaks came after the trappers the rest of the fraternity hung them out to dry. A leg hold trap poses no serious threat to anyone's dog. Conibear land sets worry me and as I said, if the AR folks weren't all over it we wouldn't have to worry about them much. It would be prudent to become familiar with the mechanism of the traps which are legal to be used in the area you hunt should you need to release your dog. 330 Conibears will need some type of aid and practice to open them quickly in the field.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:18 am

Only thing thats gonna help with a 330 is a slug.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:07 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Identified as what? If you want to indentify what kind then study them & learn as you would species of ducks,game animals etc.Identified as to whose traps they are if the are legal they should be marked but
that won't stop a dog from getting caught in one .I have never set the first trap in my life but my dad trapped when I was a youngster & use to take me with him while running his trap line some times,he also carried a Shotgun & hunted while checking them.I have had more then one dog caught in foot hold traps & never once was a dog injured even enough to limp afterwards,I have seen people stick their hands & fingers in them & set them off to show they don't break bones,only hold.The dog is initially started by the snap & of course tries to pull free which i'm sure causes some pain but once settled & calmed to stand still don't show much pain & you can easily remove it.I've never dealt with any of the kill traps & don't want to but if it's legal not much you can do about it.
I do have an SKB 20 gauge O/U that has some pretty ugly teeth marks where my dog grabbed a hold of it when I walked over to release her while she was fighting the trap but once settled down allowed me to release her with no problems.People say they should't be set on public grounds but even private ground in some states can be hunted by the public unless posted NO HUNTING.

Oh just a little side note I know I'm old,senile, & out of touch in todays society,I get reminded of that almost every day on here & every where else!!! :roll:
I meant identified as in this piece of land has traps on it...I understand the concern of property getting damaged/stolen, though. Some people really have little else to do if they're going to wonder around public land looking for traps to tamper with/steal. I would guess that identifying that this piece of 40/80/100 acres has some traps on it wouldn't increase trappers issues. IDK, maybe there are more dumb people with nothing better to do out there than I give credit for. All I'm saying is, if I was walking public land and I saw a sign that said there were traps in the area, I'd appreciate that and move on to another spot.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 am

Ms. Cage wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: I like the idea of posting ground that is being trapped but also understand why they don't want it posted as I have seen many times how our fellow hunters and trappers will steal anything that is not tied down.
Maybe we should be required to post land when when we as hunters enter the woods. City hunter uneducated about the ways of the wilderness and the dog bites. Makes about as much since
I kinda already do. Parked car with a blaze orange hat in the window should alert anyone pulling up that I'm already there and let them know what it is I'm doing.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:11 am

Kona dawg wrote:Just a note also. I had a dog get caught in a trap and he was going crazy. Actually bit the pants leg off one of my buddy. Panicked a bit, then took my jacket off and threw over him. Seem to calm him a ton and was able to get him out. Without the jacket no way
That's a good idea. Wish I would've thought of that.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:14 am

ibbowhunting wrote:conibear traps laws have changed in minnesota in the past couple of years because of the canada lynxs, which may help lessen the chance of a dog getting caught in one,but leg hold traps can be dangerous also pay attend to the trapping seasons, martin and fisher season is in late november which is very popular among trappers,in years past when i use to trapped we lost a couple hundred dollars worth of traps to a theif, can't imagine how much stuff would have been taken if we would posted a trapping in progress sign,i think trapping and bird #s go hand in hand so we need to get along. read minnesotas trapping regs which my help you identify improperly set traps,and seasons, i havnt read the wolf trapping regs, but would think is the most likely way to catch a dog, i glad to hear the dog is alright, just my two cents
Whatever happened to the Minnesota Nice mentality? It would never even cross my mind to steal a trap....even if I was a trapper. There's something wrong with these people. Thanks for the heads up on martin and fisher season.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I trap coyotes for the state and I'm proud of the fact that I've never caught someones dog even though I often trap in urban areas. If you throw something over their head they go into almost a sleep state.
How do you control that? Or is it more just the luck of the draw?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:22 am

I would sya, besides hound hunters, very few outdoor persuits catch as much grief and backlash from the non hunting public as do the fur trade and trappers.

I can only assume that posting an "area" as having traps on it does nothing more than hold up a huge flag saying, Hey i will be here every day why not come out and hassle me for my beliefs.

In my mind, and this is purely opinion, If you know of public land that is legal for trapping, and you are so concerned about it, maybe you should make an effort to avoid those places. We are all responsible for our dogs, and we all do our best to care for them, but for the handfull of folks who get on here every year and have had a dog cought in a trap, ill take my chances.

Several have said they took the time to learn how to remove a trap, that is great. However I am afraid that this is a problem we are all going to face at some point in our hunting careers. I hear more about dogs getting worse injuries from porkies.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 am

Newb don't you think when there are people & groups that interfere with hunters even though that's illegal they would also set off traps,destroy them,or take them.I have heard hunters say they set them off or damage them.Me & another guy argued over this very same thing on another forum several yrs back.I forget if he would damage them,steal them,or set them off but he didn't believe in trapping even
though he was a hunter & he had the nerve to say what he did to them on an open forum.When people know where something is going on they don't agree with they will show up.
We had a group of Anti Hunters show up on public land they release pheasants on here in Ohio I remember one yr. I just left & went some where else.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:31 am

jimbo&rooster wrote: I hear more about dogs getting worse injuries from porkies.

Jim
That's a fact.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:36 am

jimbo&rooster wrote:I would sya, besides hound hunters, very few outdoor persuits catch as much grief and backlash from the non hunting public as do the fur trade and trappers.

I can only assume that posting an "area" as having traps on it does nothing more than hold up a huge flag saying, Hey i will be here every day why not come out and hassle me for my beliefs.

In my mind, and this is purely opinion, If you know of public land that is legal for trapping, and you are so concerned about it, maybe you should make an effort to avoid those places. We are all responsible for our dogs, and we all do our best to care for them, but for the handfull of folks who get on here every year and have had a dog cought in a trap, ill take my chances.

Several have said they took the time to learn how to remove a trap, that is great. However I am afraid that this is a problem we are all going to face at some point in our hunting careers. I hear more about dogs getting worse injuries from porkies.

Jim
I think all MN public land is open to trappers...maybe I just need to win the lotto and buy my own land? :D That would make things much easier. The way I see it is all the anti trapping people probably live in the city....I just don't see people driving all that way to wait around trying to figure out where these traps are or when the trapper is going to come by so they can harass them.

You're comment about the porcupines got me wondering about something. I was, and still am, very surprised that Briar wasn't injured more severely by the trap. Is it pretty common for these traps to result in little to no damage to the dog once it's free?

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:43 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Newb don't you think when there are people & groups that interfere with hunters even though that's illegal they would also set off traps,destroy them,or take them.I have heard hunters say they set them off or damage them.Me & another guy argued over this very same thing on another forum several yrs back.I forget if he would damage them,steal them,or set them off but he didn't believe in trapping even
though he was a hunter & he had the nerve to say what he did to them on an open forum.When people know where something is going on they don't agree with they will show up.
We had a group of Anti Hunters show up on public land they release pheasants on here in Ohio I remember one yr. I just left & went some where else.
wow, yeah I've never heard of anything like that....maybe I'm a bit sheltered in that sense. All I know is how I'd react. I'd never destroy a trap. If I saw a trap while hunting my first thought would be to get my dog and leave since there are probably other traps in the area. I sure didn't reset the trap after my dog got in it though.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:51 am

DogNewbie wrote: I was, and still am, very surprised that Briar wasn't injured more severely by the trap. Is it pretty common for these traps to result in little to no damage to the dog once it's free?
The hype by the antis is just that - hype. It would be unusual for a dog to be injured by a leg hold trap when the owner is in relatively close attendance.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 am

Trappers are by far the most maligned, harassed and persecuted group of outdoor sportsmen there are - many times from within our own ranks.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:59 am

Newb,

I would be willing to say that probly 80-90% of anti hunters and animal rights folks live with in the cities, but that doesnt stop them from showing up at various outings, and farms and places to do what they deam necesary in the persuit of their chosen beliefs. I would imagine that with a little research you could find stories of anti groups going to lengths you would never consider to get their point across.

And not just within the city limits.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 am

Amen!!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:21 am

DogNewbie wrote:
Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Newb don't you think when there are people & groups that interfere with hunters even though that's illegal they would also set off traps,destroy them,or take them.I have heard hunters say they set them off or damage them.Me & another guy argued over this very same thing on another forum several yrs back.I forget if he would damage them,steal them,or set them off but he didn't believe in trapping even
wow, yeah I've never heard of anything like that....maybe I'm a bit sheltered in that sense. All I know is how I'd react. I'd never destroy a trap. If I saw a trap while hunting my first thought would be to get my dog and leave since there are probably other traps in the area. I sure didn't reset the trap after my dog got in it though.
That's the problem, in that most of us don't think like that. But then we have the thieves within our own sport and the antis as well. After having my own dog caught in a snare, I would appreciate some kind of warning as well, but it just doesn't seem feasible given people messing with stuff. And the snare she was caught in, had no i.d. tags, so was technically illegal anyway. I've found it's fairly easy to avoid water, where some kinds of traps are likely to be found, but stuff afield is another story. Our dog was moving slow and just taking off after being watered up. She stopped instantly and gave to the pressure of the snare around her neck. I can't imagine if we'd been 100+ yards separated and she'd fought it, with the cable tightening with every movement.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 am

friends, traps in foot type, which i used to trap really dont hurt your dog. after first one ,they will avoid next ones.

ones that are legal now,SNARE TRAPS here in pa are ones that COULD be your worst nightmare.
most times dogs walk thru these and get hooked on legs but some stick there heads in snares.
as they pull,ITS GETS TIGHTER.
it will choke your dog to death IF he keeps pulling frantically.
we have seem bobcats choke in them.
this is why if you have dog that hunts OUT OF SIGHT,put beeper collar on dog so you know where he is .
it at least gives you chance to get there in time to release the dog,if your dog lets you.
some dogs freak out bigtime in snare or foor trap and will bite the heck out of you.
take your coat and put it over dogs head before releasing.
dont put your faqce down to dog .
i seen some very bad bites on face in trap and fingers too from biting dog.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 am

The anti groups will go to extreme lenths to disrupt what they consider thier enemies,that's why for the life of me I can't understand why the whole hunting,fishing,shooting,trapping,etc.groupd
can't stand as one organisations to fight them but I guess it's because we are to busy fighting amonst ourselves to gain more rights over the other.We have too many org & groups in the country all fighting against each other & some for the same exact reasons!! Does this make any sense??
Newb when you spend as much time as some of us have in the outdoors you will see & hear things you never would have believed.Most of us old farts aren't just blowing wind :lol: we been there & done that
so to speak but newb's have their ideas & don't want to listen to a little old time experience & wisdom.

Where would any of us be had it not been for our for fathers who did all the things we now do for sport & enjoyment just to survive?? I hate to see all their hardwork disapear to all of today's
Technoligy but it's happening right before my eyes.We need to acknowledege it & hopefully continue just a little of it. :D

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am

Something that just come to mind,every dog of mine that was caught in a Foot Hold trap was drawn to it by the scent same as the animals they are set for.If you see your dog go stick his nose to the ground & start digging try to call him off but will probably be TOO Late but get to him soon as possible might even try hitting the E-collar button if he is wearing one.I use my E-collar to keep dogs from digging & rolling in nasty things.Just a thought!!

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:36 am

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:Something that just come to mind,every dog of mine that was caught in a Foot Hold trap was drawn to it by the scent same as the animals they are set for.If you see your dog go stick his nose to the ground & start digging try to call him off but will probably be TOO Late but get to him soon as possible might even try hitting the E-collar button if he is wearing one.I use my E-collar to keep dogs from digging & rolling in nasty things.Just a thought!!

after first foot in trap, DOG WILL AVOID NEXT ONE LIKE PLAGUE.
but the SNARES around head are a different story as paul harvey said.