Gettin mean, HELP

WillieELk78GSP

Gettin mean, HELP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

My 6 month old GSP seems to be getting aggressive with my other 2 smaller dogs, one of the smaller dog is definitely the so called alfa dog but the other smaller dog is scared of everything. Cabella the GSP was very sweet ever since i got her but now she seems to be getting more aggressive, how do i stop this right now? It makes everyone in the house be on edge watching her every move. I dont want her to injury the other dogs if it gets out of hand... please help me with this issue, is it lack of socializing her?
God Bless

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Re: Gettin mean, HELP

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:21 pm

It can be many things but what level of aggression Are we talking about? Does she attack other dogs or does she just snarf at them when she wants to be left alone. Does it happen around food? Describe the behavior because it's very hard to help based on what you've given. What breed are the other dogs?

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:26 pm

She is a GSP, i dont know that she attacks, but the alpha smaller dog doesnt stop growling at her so i think it antagonizes so it may be she reacts to that. But she is already big enough to kill those little dogs
God Bless

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Sounds like your small dog is spoiled rotten. I feel sorry for your GSP.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:35 pm

I know She's a GSP, what breed are the other dogs. it almost sounds like she's defending herself but more info is needed.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:41 pm

I dont treat my dogs bad man, actually from my prospective i pay more attention to the GSP, the other two dogs are not mine so i have no say with them, My GSP has the good life.
God Bless

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Oh got ya, they are silky terrier's, i thought it might be that but now she has escalated her responses, if that makes any sense
God Bless

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:57 pm

I didn't imply YOU were a bad owner. But thereis a reason why I asked what were the other dogs breeds. Terrier's are notorious for being bitches. It sounds like this pup is just trying to defend itself by going on the offensive. But more info is needed.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:58 pm

So the GSP gets growled at all the time but doesn't do anything back? Pretty good dog. I had a full size yorkie and it would bark all day at Kimber. She would respond by barking back and running around and jumping over the small dog. They can figure it out themselves. If you don't want the behavior then correct it.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Dogs play rough, especially youngsters with a lot of energy and terriers are, well, terrier and terror sound a lot alike. Make them knock it off and leave each other alone. Crates are great for this, or "places" where they can go away from each other and have a high value chewy like a knuckle bone or Kong.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I didn't imply YOU were a bad owner. But thereis a reason why I asked what were the other dogs breeds. Terrier's are notorious for being bitches. It sounds like this pup is just trying to defend itself by going on the offensive. But more info is needed.
Thanks everyone, not that great of post but that wasnt directed towards you ot was from the post previous
God Bless

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm

In 4 posts you managed to tell nothing. If I were to bet you have a little spoiled yappy dog and a regular puppy who is getting a raw deal because he is the biggest and a house full of over reactors that know nothing about dogs. I doubt your puppy is actually mean, but hire a pro to come to your home and educate you before you screw your dog up.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:20 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:please help me with this issue, is it lack of socializing her?
WillieELk78GSP wrote:but the alpha smaller dog doesnt stop growling at her
Sounds to me like a lack of socializing the Silky.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Are you serious? What other info you do need? Happy to tell ya. Not saying she is mean she has progressively become more aggressive with the other dogs and i just wanted to know how to fix it, not get told i am a crappy owner from some freaking smart "bleep".
God Bless

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:25 pm

slistoe wrote:
WillieELk78GSP wrote:please help me with this issue, is it lack of socializing her?
WillieELk78GSP wrote:but the alpha smaller dog doesnt stop growling at her
Sounds to me like a lack of socializing the Silky.
Thats probably true, i dont know havent had those dogs long
God Bless

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 pm

WillieELk78GSP wrote:Are you serious? What other info you do need? Happy to tell ya. Not saying she is mean she has progressively become more aggressive with the other dogs and i just wanted to know how to fix it, not get told i am a crappy owner from some freaking smart "bleep".
Fix the Silky and you will fix your GSP.
Leave the Silky be a growly, yappy brat and your GSP may just fix the Silky herself - and unfortunately will be blamed for something that was not of her doing, but yours.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 pm

Fixing a silky to be quiet is going to be a loosing battle... Seperate the two and move on.

CowboyBirdDogs

Post by CowboyBirdDogs » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 am

Sounds like Silky is trying to let the pup know that no matter how much bigger than her it gets, she's still the boss. If your shorthair doesn't show any aggression to other, bigger dogs, then I don't think the problem is with it. And ol Silky may just bite off more than she can chew and learn who the real alpha is.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:14 am

For crying out loud! Just put the silky's outside in a kennel.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:17 am

Willie you are getting reasonable advice here.

Dogs relate to "pack order" - a pecking order by dominance rank. YOU are the alpha, you are the controller of all that necessary for your dogs.

When your GSP was a smaller pup, it could be bullied and bossed around by an obnoxious terrier. As your GSP grows, it will eventually think - 'hey, I really don't have to take all that crap..."

You can work this out, but it will be work. I assume you are working on OB with your GSP anyway. Well, the silky needs OB too. If it were my group, I'd have crates for all of them, and crate training would be part of the daily routine. The advantage of crates is that they are excellent 'management' tools also - you get to decide which dog is out in the house and which one stays crated up. Quite, calm, submissive dogs get freedom. Yappy, hyper, dominating mutts get the crate.

When the dogs are in the house, you might consider having them all drag a leash...that way, you can give leash corrections at any time as you, the pack leader, help the dogs sort out who gets to be #2, #3, and so on.

Here's an article on becoming the pack leader: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/D ... rPack.html

Another: http://www.paws-shelter.com/education/b ... /nilif.pdf

Good luck.

Slistoe was right - if you don't step in and get working on the instigator of this problem (the silky?), the GSP will eventually fix it for you. You bought a hunting dog with prey and pack drive after all.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:36 am

AzDoggin gave you great advise. I would have a crate for the GSP and a crate for the silky. Put the GSP in the crate with a chewie and keep the Skilie out of her face! If she can't quit buggin the GSP, then you know where the problems lies. Then try the reverse... Silkie crated with a chewie and the GSP out. You will get hard evidence real fast who is causing the problems.

You may have to just resort to keep in one at a time out until you can get a handle on the situation. Terriers don;t have to be yappy ankle biters, but it is going to take a lot of work if you want peace and quiet in the house.

WillieELk78GSP

Post by WillieELk78GSP » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks y'all, i was upset last night and may have taken things the wrong way. All good advise. I will work on it
God Bless

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:23 pm

Fireside wrote:AzDoggin gave you great advise. I would have a crate for the GSP and a crate for the silky. Put the GSP in the crate with a chewie and keep the Skilie out of her face! If she can't quit buggin the GSP, then you know where the problems lies. Then try the reverse... Silkie crated with a chewie and the GSP out. You will get hard evidence real fast who is causing the problems.

You may have to just resort to keep in one at a time out until you can get a handle on the situation. Terriers don;t have to be yappy ankle biters, but it is going to take a lot of work if you want peace and quiet in the house.
X2