Altitude adjustment

MATT4126

Altitude adjustment

Post by MATT4126 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:52 am

Just curious...I spent 4 days in Park City Utah and at an altitude of almost 8k feet it took some getting used to. If I were to bring my dog from east coast to hunt here would the dogs have same reaction. I seemed to get short of breath with much exercise...after 36 hours I'm fine.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Altitude adjustment

Post by ultracarry » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:00 am

Don't know about the dog but try drinking the first night ypu get there next time. :) going from where I live 2800 feet to my camp in Colorado (11,000) I can get hammered easily. If I take an asprin the first night or motrin ill be good the next morning.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:59 am

matt,
as a native virginian myself, who moved to utah, I have not had any problems with the altitude. But this can vary widely, my inlaws, when they come to visit, can't even make it up a flight of stairs and we are in the valley.

Couple of things:

1 drink more water, for you and your dog.

2 research shows that the closer to arrival here that you do activity the better. Very common misconception, sport teams use to show up 2 days or so before an event and expect to be better off and that is counter productive. When you first arrive you still have the higher oxygen levels in your system and over the course of a day to, two you actually become oxygen depleted, to some degree and then start stabilizing after that.

I do not think that it really will effect you dog as much as it will us. They are a much more efficient animal than we are and have such a larger capacity for aerobic fitness than we do, that you will still tire out before them.

Are you planning a hunt out here or even better a move? Hit me up if you come out for a hunt I can help you out a little bit.

Brandon

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:31 pm

I live at 2,000ft but within 30mins. I can be at 9,000ft. I take my dogs up there regularly and they run just as hard as normal. I train up there with the thought that it will be easier for them running at lower altitudes.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 pm

you need some prolonged time at elevation to get the benefits of the altitude training. But I am sure that is much cooler up there and therefore you could run them for longer and get more conditioning that way.

brandon