NSTRA question

rinker

NSTRA question

Post by rinker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:00 am

I was at the NSTRA 'Dog of the Year', trial today in Amo Indiana. I am not a NSTRA trialer, but I live close by and usually try to watch a little each year. I saw something today that really surprised me. This happened close enough to the front of the field that I could see and hear the whole thing pretty well. A dog went on point, his handler was on the other side of the field and it took him a few minutes to get there. When the handler got within about 100 yards of the pointing dog, he began shouting/screaming "WHOA", as loud as he possibly could. While walking to the dog and during the flush this handler shouted/screamed "WHOA", at least twenty times, maybe more. The dog handled the find pretty well as far as I could tell. Is this common? Would constantly cautioning the pointing dog in this manner reduce the score for the find?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: NSTRA question

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:14 am

It is very common that handlers feel the need to start saying whoa and Yes as a judge I do down grade a little for it because I as a judge now have to question if the dog is doing their job or if they are standing because the handler has to yell a command at the dog..I do not down grade it majorly but it will be that of a point or two it maybe more if the handlers yelling distracts the dog

I see this with hunters also.. :roll:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:21 am

The handler wasnt saying "whoa" but screaming to the heavens "MY DOG HAS HOLES IN IT AND I DONT TRUST HIM!" If I was judging it surely wouldnt impress me. This is a team sport and you have to judge both the handler and the dog. Sometimes the dogs hate that fact. :D
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

hustonmc

Post by hustonmc » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 am

If the dog has never moved or lost intensity, etc. Then I as a judge won't downgrade the dog because it has an idiot as a handler. Although if all that screaming the dog starts to soften up, look around, I'm knocking points pretty severely. I'm pretty tough judge too though, don't get invited to judge much.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:21 pm

hustonmc wrote:If the dog has never moved or lost intensity, etc. Then I as a judge won't downgrade the dog because it has an idiot as a handler. Although if all that screaming the dog starts to soften up, look around, I'm knocking points pretty severely. I'm pretty tough judge too though, don't get invited to judge much.
Exactly. You're judging the dog, not the handler. That said, all things being equal, the handler who's dog is staunch and the handler never says a word to the dog will score a couple points higher.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:06 pm

That's why there is an obedience score.
brenda