Galvanized or Powder-Coated Kennels

shaneroyce

Post by shaneroyce » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm

For those with experience, and disregarding cost, which kennel would hold up better and last longer in all-weather conditions...standard galvanized chain link, or powder-coated 2X4 mesh? I am talking about pre-made kennels from reputable companies. Thanks in advance.

jimbo&rooster

Re: Galvanized or Powder-Coated Kennels

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:22 pm

powdercoated.... I have had galvanized kennels for years and most of them are rotten on the bottom 5-6" from male dogs peeing on them. we have had to weld pieces of pipe to rebuild the corners of the kennels. I am getting ready to redo my kennel and when I get my new slab poured I will be going with full powder coated kennels.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

Fester

Post by Fester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:49 pm

Powder coat is tuff, galvanized last a long time if you take care of it but powder coat is the best if you can swing it
Fester

Kona dawg

Post by Kona dawg » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:16 pm

I am on my second set powdercoat. I bought 5 runs. Rusted completely out in males kennels where they piss. Company gave me all new kennels. Rusted out already also. May have got 4 or 5 years out of them. I will post pics tomorrow. I am currently finishing my new kennels. Oil well pipe, sanded and painted with truck bed liner. I then wrapped in 9 gauge chainlink

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:24 pm

My poweder coated rusted in less then 3 yrs.No more for me.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:26 pm

I have had Priefert powder coated kennels in my indoor kennels for probably over 12 years - still in great shape. They see pretty much the daily "abuse" of male dogs and kennel cleaning/water/chemicals. I have a buddy that has I believe Powder River kennels that are also powder coated and he has rust on every leg and is completely missing portions of the lower cross members/some legs due to rust. Soooo, I guess as far as powder coating goes...it depends. :wink:

My outdoor kennels are galvanized from L Bar M Ranch Products and they are sweet. I have had them for about 5 years, they don't see as much daily water/urine as the indoor kennels, but they do live outside exposed to the elements - they show absolutely no rust/wear/tear at all.

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:46 pm

I think it depends on quality no matter if their powder coated or galvanised good & bad of both & mine was a cheap one I guess.I have most of my dogs in Scott Kennels anyway.The oldest of those is probably close to 20 yrs.But like everything else the newer kits are CHEAPER made with smaller gauge panels etc. :evil:

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Ive got 8 galvinized kennels,I've rep;aced 2 bottom bars total in10 years.The cheapest part of the chainlink kennels is the pipe the mesh is attached too.It's thin and the galvinizing is pretty thin .I've dealt with a lot of powdercoated stuff too,if the metal isn't super clean your not going to get a good job and it will fail,it's reported to work great on difficultt surfaces like expanded metal and wire but from what my experiance has been if the guy doing the powdercoating is cheap with the powder,you don't get a good job.I built 12 dog boxes for the back of my trainers flatbed truck,they turned out really nice,the inside partitions were expanded metal,the powdercoater assured me that they would never rust in eastern washington where it doesn't rain alot,The outsides of those boxes look like new at 8 years old,the inner mesh..................... rusty as all get out,he obviously went cheap with the powder.

My vote for outside is galvinized with the going into it knowing that your going to replace a bottom bar here and there.Replacing the bars is easy by the way.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 pm

The gauge of the galvanized pipe is a big factor. The thin fabric and fencing from the local hone improvement store won't last however the old commercial stuff lasts forever. My powder river round pen has feet.that are gone and that's in dry NM sitting on sand. I am turning into a big fan of Scott type homemade kennels that I am making from the welded 2x4 galvanized horse panels. And old scrounged lumber with a good coat of quality house paint.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Concur on the guage of the wire,my kennels were made by the local chainlink fencing contractor,I ordered them with the 9 guage fabric,it's bulletproof.

gotpointers wrote:The gauge of the galvanized pipe is a big factor. The thin fabric and fencing from the local hone improvement store won't last however the old commercial stuff lasts forever. My powder river round pen has feet.that are gone and that's in dry NM sitting on sand. I am turning into a big fan of Scott type homemade kennels that I am making from the welded 2x4 galvanized horse panels. And old scrounged lumber with a good coat of quality house paint.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:03 pm

I would go galvanized. I have kennels that are atleast 30 years old and they are standing strong. I recently bought a new one to add to those and it looks like it'll last just as long. I would suggest staying away from home depot and cheep kennels like those. Spend the extra $ and get a custom Kennel from a good source.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:18 am

I have galvenized kennels because I got the entire 5 run setup for free. Almost all the corners on the panels and gates were corroded or broken. About $50 at Lowes and I had all the replacement pieces I needed. They are cheap to repair. I have often wondered how well paint would stick to the galvenized though? I'd love to paint the frames of my kennels White and the chain-link Crimson. :D
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:I have galvenized kennels because I got the entire 5 run setup for free. Almost all the corners on the panels and gates were corroded or broken. About $50 at Lowes and I had all the replacement pieces I needed. They are cheap to repair. I have often wondered how well paint would stick to the galvenized though? I'd love to paint the frames of my kennels White and the chain-link Crimson. :D
They make paint specifically for chainlink. I bought it at menards. Used it on the yard fence and it's holding up well. There are a variety of colors to choose from also.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:05 am

I think one of the very best things you can do to prolong the life of ANY outdoor kennel is to keep the metal dry as much as is possible.

I have used female/female PVC couplings to keep the metal feet off the concrete pad and allow any water to drain away. I also spray any"cut" surfaces with aluminum paint or cold galvanize...or both. If the ends of the pipe are not sitting in wet, they will not rust to any great degree. Putting those little tops on the uprights also helps, I think.

I also heartily second the use of heavy duty metal piping and 9 ga. wire.

I have several sections of kenneling that are over 20 years old and they are still quite serviceable despite being in continuous ue and getting washed down daily. Some rusting where the male dogs pee on them, but that is about it. Before I started using the PVC "feet", the legs and corners of the kennels would rot out in about five years and back then everything was heavy duty.

RayG

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Well eitherr way. Get it off the concrete.
IMO do not get the Powder coated from Options Plus. The bottom18" is falling away. ( meaning rusting away non existant)
I had and still do have a chainlink commerical grade galvanized kennel that has set on grass, (and does now at camp) gravel and concrete, over the last17 years. It is still in great shape except where I ran into it with the tractor.

Concrete, Piss eats metal.
I will never get another powder coated kennel. Unless it is fully 100% guarunteed against rusting in any circumstances.
Last edited by Ruffshooter on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:18 pm

A good hot dipped galvanized product is better than powder coated for sure. Thats what I am buying.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

PkerStr8Tail

Post by PkerStr8Tail » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:58 pm

Powder coat is weak at edges by nature. During the cure phase it tends to flow away from edges leaving the coating thin there. That weak point is where corrosion starts. Once you get under the coating powder coats are very weak and quickly fail.