Pup showing aggression towards wife and daughter

boonebrit

Pup showing aggression towards wife and daughter

Post by boonebrit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 pm

We have a 11 week old male Britt pup that treats me and strangers like gold, but has gone off on my daughter and wife on two seperate occasions. Ive been working with him on his bite (yelping when he bites too hard and then ignornging him for a few minutes). He is definitely improving his nipping problem.

Both incidences happened within the last week. Both times the puppy was just starting to be picked up off the ground ... he then growled while wiggling free, then lunged, and snapped on both of them. The first incident and bite on my daughter broke skin (barely). I figured the aggressive lunge on my 5 yr old daughter was because she had been holding him uncomforatbly, and he simply didnt want picked up by her. We put an end to her picking him up since. But this also happened on my wife, who is nothing buy sweet and gentle with him. He will literally just NEVER sit with either of them on the couch, bed, etc, without getting worked up and eventually nipping or chewing on thier clothes, surrounding blankets, etc., really aggressively. My wife doesnt trust him anymore or with my daughter. His constant aggressive lunging and biting during play with them is too much for them to bear.

Could this be a male/female thing? Common in Brittanys? Does he simply think he is ahead of them in the "pack" order? Both times happened later in the evening.... could it be he is just tired late in the day (8:30-9pm)? How do we combat this? Had a couple of better days with my daughter but still acting aggressive when playing inside especially. This pup is SOOO birdy and full of great hunting instinct...so much potential. But I NEVER had this problem with any labs pups I owned (5 total).... please help this new Britt owner.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Pup showing aggression towards wife and daughter

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:39 pm

Keep him off the furniture, get him some appropriate chew items and use a crate.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:44 pm

He is crate trained and loves it. He has plenty of chew toys he hammers.... but we should definitely keep him off the furniture for good, he get really aggressive on the beds and couch.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Sounds like you may have picked the most dominant pup in the litter. Time to show who is in control . I would grab his snout and squeeze till he yelps if he bites. Not allowed on any furniture and make him sit before he gets to eat. You have a small window of opportunity to fix this before he is a bigger dog. At what age was he taken from the litter?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:52 pm

We got him after his 9 week. He was the only male in the litter, definitley a dominant dog IMO.

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:05 pm

He thinks he is the boss, yank some slack out of the little chit.
Willie Hunter

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:11 pm

We have a 11 week old male Britt pup that treats me and strangers like gold, but has gone off on my daughter and wife on two seperate occasions. Ive been working with him on his bite (yelping when he bites too hard and then ignornging him for a few minutes). He is definitely improving his nipping problem.
This may be part of your problem. I have never agreed with this method of preventing nipping. Show him that he is the lowest member of the pack and make it uncomfortable for him when he nips!! Thinking that saying OUCH or yelping will let the pup know he is hurting you and he will stop is total nonsense. Teach him who is boss. No offense intended [just trying to help] but this may be more of a people problem than a puppy problem.

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, it seems as though I don't type fast enough. :lol:

Charlie

Xhipi1

Post by Xhipi1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:30 pm

like everyone said, show him you guys are the boss. when the nipping and growling occurs are you the only one to punish him? if so have your daughter and wife do some bossing around to show the pup that they mean bushiness too. My pup loved to nip at things also, expect allot of ripped shirts and pants but teach him that that isnt ok and give him something that he can chew on. also i dont know if you do this or not but dont give him old shoes to chew on he wont know the difference between your old sneakers and yours wife's gucci shoes

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:32 pm

We just started the yelping/ignoring a few days ago, and the first incident happend prior to that. I was doing the dominance thing... pinning him down when he bites before the ignoring act. Ill try pinching this mouth shut, pinning him down, yelling..... he is definitely a dominant dog and has been a full head of steam since the second day we got him. All suggestions welcome... thanks for the help so far.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:40 pm

boonebrit wrote:We just started the yelping/ignoring a few days ago, and the first incident happend prior to that. I was doing the dominance thing... pinning him down when he bites before the ignoring act. Ill try pinching this mouth shut, pinning him down, yelling..... he is definitely a dominant dog and has been a full head of steam since the second day we got him. All suggestions welcome... thanks for the help so far.
Leave the child out of the correction department. Kids that age are seldom capable of the timing needed to issue a meaningful correction.

Also, the pinching, rolling, and shouting are just exactly what older puppies do when the play rough. Pin him by the back of his neck and give him a good shake in the process like his momma or any other well adjusted adult dog would do. A loud, "NO!" is fine, also. If he wants to persist, snatch him up by the scruff and then pin him.

This is a small puppy. He is not "dominant." He is not a "fur baby." He is not a toy. Toss his heiny outside and let him burn off some energy and keep him on a routine.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:41 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:This is a small puppy. He is not "dominant." He is not a "fur baby." He is not a toy. Toss his heiny outside and let him burn off some energy and keep him on a routine.
You bet.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:46 pm

JMO but i bet being the only male in the litter has contributed to his dominance.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:48 pm

I dont treat him like a toy, Ive had hunting dogs my whole life.... all labs. Im no pro by any means, but Ive never had one act like this. He is outside running/playing most of his time outside the crate. He burns plenty of energy, we run him constantly... that is not the issue. Good tip on pinning by the neck like the mother. I definitely need to put him on a more consistant routine.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:21 am

When the dog opens his mouth to bite stick your thumb into his mouth and lip him like Bill Dance lips a big bass. Holdm there for a while.

Just out of curiosity where did you hear that tip about making a yelp when the dog bites you?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:00 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
boonebrit wrote:Leave the child out of the correction department. Kids that age are seldom capable of the timing needed to issue a meaningful correction.

Also, the pinching, rolling, and shouting are just exactly what older puppies do when the play rough. Pin him by the back of his neck and give him a good shake in the process like his momma or any other well adjusted adult dog would do. A loud, "NO!" is fine, also. If he wants to persist, snatch him up by the scruff and then pin him.

This is a small puppy. He is not "dominant." He is not a "fur baby." He is not a toy. Toss his heiny outside and let him burn off some energy and keep him on a routine.
Take this advice...best yet!

My youngest dog tried that crap as a little pup...once. You and your wife both need to put the Queen Bitch move on him.

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:13 am

When my pups were nipping, not aggressivelly biting, I have always rolled their lip under their canines and applied pressure with three or four of my fingers. They learned quickly that my hand in their mouth is not a good feeling. Like I said it doesn't take long for them to yelp and pull. I may have put a tooth or two through their lip once or twice because they are sharp, but the nipping process with my five dogs was mininal at best. Kinda like "Hooked on Phonics" it worked for me!
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:39 am

gotpointers wrote:When the dog opens his mouth to bite stick your thumb into his mouth and lip him like Bill Dance lips a big bass. Holdm there for a while.

Just out of curiosity where did you hear that tip about making a yelp when the dog bites you?
Thanks again for all the input... much appreciated. We had a good lesson with him this morning. He has definitley eased up on my daughter (as was the case the past couple of days), but I still need to to settle around my wife. I guess I just need her to rock him (grab neck/pin/shake) when he jumps up and nips her. He has been freaked to even sniff my daughter since I pinned him this morning. Ill keep at and keep you all posted.

I heard the yelping/ignoring tip from a client that happens to be a vet.... While my pup has responded to this, I think the "queen bitch" tatic will prove much more rewarding.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:40 am

Lots to read: http://leerburg.com/structure.htm

Article specific to pack order and pups: http://leerburg.com/ebooks/puppygroundwork.pdf

Growling when being picked up is a pack dominance behavior, and it shows that the pup thinks it is higher in pack rank than those he growls at. Need to get a handle on this while he's this young, or, in your absence, he'll be running the house.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:28 am

I would also have your wife be the only one that feeds the dog for awhile....then maybe supervised allow your child to feed the dog.

but beyond that you've been given good advise here, about how to scold him and have him understand his place in your family....
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:54 am

boonebrit wrote:We have a 11 week old male Britt pup that treats me and strangers like gold, but has gone off on my daughter and wife on two seperate occasions. Ive been working with him on his bite (yelping when he bites too hard and then ignornging him for a few minutes). He is definitely improving his nipping problem.

Both incidences happened within the last week. Both times the puppy was just starting to be picked up off the ground ... he then growled while wiggling free, then lunged, and snapped on both of them. The first incident and bite on my daughter broke skin (barely). I figured the aggressive lunge on my 5 yr old daughter was because she had been holding him uncomforatbly, and he simply didnt want picked up by her. We put an end to her picking him up since. But this also happened on my wife, who is nothing buy sweet and gentle with him. He will literally just NEVER sit with either of them on the couch, bed, etc, without getting worked up and eventually nipping or chewing on thier clothes, surrounding blankets, etc., really aggressively. My wife doesnt trust him anymore or with my daughter. His constant aggressive lunging and biting during play with them is too much for them to bear.

Could this be a male/female thing? Common in Brittanys? Does he simply think he is ahead of them in the "pack" order? Both times happened later in the evening.... could it be he is just tired late in the day (8:30-9pm)? How do we combat this? Had a couple of better days with my daughter but still acting aggressive when playing inside especially. This pup is SOOO birdy and full of great hunting instinct...so much potential. But I NEVER had this problem with any labs pups I owned (5 total).... please help this new Britt owner.

puppys can be this way.they will pick out certain people to bite at that age.

taking a puppy before 8 weeks can cause this also.
i would suggest you get pup into kennel with other dogs his size for at least until he shows a change.

it works. :wink:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:09 am

Meanwhile, are you doing anything positive with him, like playing the here game for treats or retrieving?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:11 am

Cajun Casey wrote:Meanwhile, are you doing anything positive with him, like playing the here game for treats or retrieving?
and remember that "a tired pup is a good pup."

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:25 am

Biting and or nipping are undesired behaviors that should be nipped in the bud right at the start. This is the method that I like to use. When the pup starts to bite or nip I will take my 2 fingers and place them sideways in the mouth with my thumb under the jaw. I then place my other hand behind the head. This helps to brace the pup so they cannot harm themselves by pulling away. Hold this position till the pup stops struggling and vocalizing and where the pup relaxes and gives into your hand being in the mouth and as soon as the pup shows that acceptance and get your fingers out of the mouth, quickly say “release” and roll your fingers gently backwards to take them out.
This changes the rules of the pup’s game. I will then place my hand in front of the pup’s mouth; the pup should LICK your hand. This is a sign of accepting who is the alpha. If the pup should try and mouth your hand repeat the application. I have found that after a couple of applications this behavior ceases. And again I want to stress none of these actions are to ever harm or physically hurt the pup ever. The pup may whine and vocalize some discontent but never pain.

Read more: http://www.kninebirddog.com/puppy-found ... z2AcEBkq61
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:14 pm

I think the difference is in training you had Labs before. I know with my two pointing dogs, they couldn't care less if you play with them as long as they get to run and get birds. Labs want to be your friend first and I think they bond faster. These dogs will bond with you but really just want to work.

If you let them dominate you, you will be dominated and yes they will own you. My dog humped my ex wife and chewed on her clothes till the day we left :) push her off the couch and everything. Smart dog.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:44 pm

ultracarry wrote:I think the difference is in training you had Labs before. I know with my two pointing dogs, they couldn't care less if you play with them as long as they get to run and get birds. Labs want to be your friend first and I think they bond faster. These dogs will bond with you but really just want to work.
I don;t believe they bond any faster (or better for that matter) but for sure they don;t react like Labs and don;t train the way Labs do. For the most part a Lab works birds for you and your approval. They thrive on your approval. A pointing dog works birds first for himself, then is taught to hunt for you... totally different mindset. With pointing dogs, we have bred for a high prey drive, Labradors have a high praise drive!

And before you all jump on me, I have had Labradors both show and hunting for the last 30+ years and Brittanys off and on for the last 25. They really are apples and oranges!

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:38 pm

We sure are... he is constantly played with outside, plays here, retrieves, multiple walks in the woods per day, etc.

He literally just snapped at my daughter again (breaking skin a little)!!! He found a stick he brought in earlier, and my daughter reached for it and .... whack. Before I could stop her from reaching in he growled and snapped at her hand. I immediately pinned him down hard by the scruff of his neck. When I released he growled at me and I pinned him down again, he then crept away tail between his legs. I picked him up and he went right into the crate.

Am I at the point I limit all the pups indoor interaction with my daughter? Keep him on a leash while inside at all times? I read the following and believe I'll start implimenting these tatics... http://leerburg.com/ebooks/puppygroundwork.pdf

I know I messed up not staying between the pup and my daughter, I was also out of the pup's line of sight.... I figure this doesnt help.
Cajun Casey wrote:Meanwhile, are you doing anything positive with him, like playing the here game for treats or retrieving?

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Hey, Boone, I don't know about limiting the interaction between the pup and your daughter, but definitely supervising the activity. These pups have SHARP teeth, and it wouldn't take much for your daughter to be injured.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:48 pm

have you contacted the breeder?

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:03 pm

It is really hard to give good advice without actually seeing what is going on. I know this is just a baby and the nipping is normal and could be easily corrected, but the growling and biting would concern me. I would nip this in the bud now or this pup would not be long for this world. This is just my opinion and I don't expect many to agree. May sound harsh but I would not tolerate it. Again, JMO.

Charlie

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:50 pm

birddogger wrote:It is really hard to give good advice without actually seeing what is going on. I know this is just a baby and the nipping is normal and could be easily corrected, but the growling and biting would concern me. I would nip this in the bud now or this pup would not be long for this world. This is just my opinion and I don't expect many to agree. May sound harsh but I would not tolerate it. Again, JMO.

Charlie
I agree, Charlie. If training does not fairly quickly resolve the problem - then move on. As you said, though - we don't know what boundaries have been set up for pup up to now. We had a pup that would growl and fight if you tried to pick him up - even as a young one. Turned into an great dog...

My brother raised my last Britt from a pup - his nickname for her? Devil Dog - Hound from HeII. :twisted:
Last edited by AzDoggin on Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:55 pm

I am having trouble with a puppy showing aggression. I am more inclined to think the puppy is showing aggressive puppy behavior. In my mind there is a difference. It can be aggressive doing a thousand different things while aggression means the pup is actively trying to kill, maim, or some type of damage to whatever it is being aggressive with.

Aggressive behavior is not a serious problem but rather is somewhat a normal puppy behavior that needs to be stopped. Aggression is a whole different ball game but I think a pup has to be mature or almost mature to actually show aggression towards anyone.

JMO
Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:09 pm

The age of the pup is also what I am taking into account. It is hard for me to see a pup of that age actually being vicious. But I am thinking that if it is not gotten under control that the pup has the potential to become a risk when it gets older. Hopefully the owners will take the advice that has been given and get it under control before it becomes a real problem.

Charlie

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:32 pm

My family always had dogs. When I was four I got my first puppy, a Scottie, which is not a particularly good breed for small children. I got bit a few times and after it happened I got my rear end dusted because my getting nipped was always the dog's response to my doing something to her I wasn't supposed to do. I would keep the kid and the dog separated because puppies usually learn quickly and it sounds like yours is learning to dislike, avoid and guard resources from your child.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:38 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:My family always had dogs. When I was four I got my first puppy, a Scottie, which is not a particularly good breed for small children. I got bit a few times and after it happened I got my rear end dusted because my getting nipped was always the dog's response to my doing something to her I wasn't supposed to do. I would keep the kid and the dog separated because puppies usually learn quickly and it sounds like yours is learning to dislike, avoid and guard resources from your child.

Seperate them solves nothing but does insure the problem will get worse for a long time in the future.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:37 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:My family always had dogs. When I was four I got my first puppy, a Scottie, which is not a particularly good breed for small children. I got bit a few times and after it happened I got my rear end dusted because my getting nipped was always the dog's response to my doing something to her I wasn't supposed to do. I would keep the kid and the dog separated because puppies usually learn quickly and it sounds like yours is learning to dislike, avoid and guard resources from your child.

Seperate them solves nothing but does insure the problem will get worse for a long time in the future.

Ezzy
Until that dog learns some boundaries I agree with Casey to keep them separated.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:47 am

At my house the puppy would have to learn that the behavior is unaccepatable, regardless of what the child does. I would also teach the child what is proper and improper when having contact with the puppy and make sure they are supervised when together. I don't like the idea of separating them because it doesn't fix anything. I would do just the opposite and have the child and puppy interacting as mush as possible for awhile. If that didn't work [and I think it will if the owners are persistent and consistent] the puppy would have to go. JMO.

Charlie

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:02 am

its this SIMPLE. take my advice, get pup into kennel with other pups or small adult dogs.he will improve quickly. :wink:
also people of all types will be handling pup at kennel. :wink:

anyone can PM me on my advice or give me call. :wink:

you must do this now.DONT WAIT! :wink:

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 am

birddogger wrote:
At my house the puppy would have to learn that the behavior is unaccepatable, regardless of what the child does. I would also teach the child what is proper and improper when having contact with the puppy and make sure they are supervised when together. I don't like the idea of separating them because it doesn't fix anything. I would do just the opposite and have the child and puppy interacting as mush as possible for awhile. If that didn't work [and I think it will if the owners are persistent and consistent] the puppy would have to go. JMO.

Charlie
+1 Totally agree, this is not really a vicious pup....this is why I always suggest strict discipline, education of the child and allow the people the dog is acting badly towards to take control of when the dog eats and everything else.....and when he bites or acts badly, make the response severe enough to make a serious lasting impression. Pup should figure it out pretty darn quick, if not he's got a screw loose or correction isn't being applied correctly.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:01 am

I dont think this is "Aggressive" as in trying to attack or hurt. The pup is just wanting to play, it might wanna play more than you want him to. I have a 4 month old pup that does the same thing, I just smack her if she nips at me and she dont nip no more!

deke

Post by deke » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:48 am

Take this as a learning experience, as of now the pup is not big enough to do any serious damage. Teach your daughter, and wife how to handle this dog now. I would say this pup was a dominant pup in his litter, he does not bite you because you are dominant. Im going to guess that your wife and daughter dont punish your dog? I would have your wife punish him, I would have my daughter putting him in his kennel, show this pup that he is at the bottom of the barrel. As quite a few people on here said, you have a small window and it is closing fast. You have to teach this pup that all people, not just big men are the boss. Sometimes this takes a little a$$ kicking for hard headed dogs, believe me I have been there with my big male. But at 6 yrs old 110 lbs, i would trust a very small child to do whatever they wanted to him, without him batting an eye. Remember, a dog is a dog, they do not play by the same rules as a person, timeout will not effect a puppy like it will a child. You must use his language to get a point across. A dog, no matter how good is not worth your child or wife getting bit, so if you cant handle this send the pup down the road kickin stones and singing cowboy songs

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Just wanted to give everyone an update... We had an extremely good day today. Ever since our "episode" last night, he has barely nipped, hasnt growled, or showed any aggressive attitude since. I know its only one day, but progress is progress IMO. I think pinning him down as hard as I did (twice) really scared him. We also increased his play time inside (all on a lead now) with treat/tricks/retrieves instead of chasing around the house, cuddling on furniture, etc... All things I used to get away with my lab pups.

I also had my wife and daughter make him sit when they fed him or anytime they gave him a treat. He didnt jump up on them once and didnt grab any of their clothes aggessively. When he did nip thier clothes he "half assed" it, seeming to test the waters.... again progress, two days ago he was latching on. After he bit my daughter last night, I read this thread to my wife (and thoughts from the breeder) and she worked with him till he went into his crate for the night. She praticed retrieves with treats and nipping training tactics (pinning down with sharp "no's")

For other new pointer/britt owners... the mistakes I made were simple: I played a little too rough with my hands the second day we had him, didnt keep him on a lead while inside, let him up on furniture, didnt make my wife and kid feed him with "sit", used chew toys that were too soft, didnt teach tricks/retrieve with treats, and most importantly I didnt show him the "wrath of mother dog" when he aggressively bit or nipped us. I havent had a new pup in seven years... seems like I lost my touch.

I also want to say thanks again for the PM's and great tips given to me within this thread. This dog is really awesome, outside of his aggressive/dominant displays... he is loving (most of the time), listens, points, retrieves to hand, and picks up tricks VERY fast. Ill keep at it, hopefully he is coming around.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:02 pm

That is good to hear. Enjoy your dog.:)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Good deal!

Charlie

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Good for you, Boone and thanks for posting back!! The feedback helps folks on the board too.

Field-bred Brittanies are a sight to behold. Sounds like you've found a great approach with your pup!

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 am

Just as a tiny little aside... be sure to teach him how to "stand " coming out of a sit. Not a release from sit but moving from sit to stand. It'll help you later with whoa training. This is a case where I do believe sit is important but you will see it come back later as a potential different problen and getting the tools in his head to fix that -- cross that bridge when you get there -- but sure does help to have that stand up taught.

Good job. Keep it up. This puppy on leash even inside almost especially inside is something that is hard to sell on new owners but it really helps with the wild ones.

hi-tailyn

Post by hi-tailyn » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:26 am

Sounds like things may be heading in the right direction.

As unorthodox method of working on dominance issues. Which it sounds like the pup has with wife and child. That what she wants she can growl and nip to get it.

I usually get the dominant pup out of the litters. A couple have had similar issues. If you watch mother and other adult dogs around pups, if the pup crosses the line of biting, etc. the adult is quick to bark, growl, snap at pup. The adult will stay there till pup comes back and licks the adult on the lips and mouth. Thus smiting to the adult.

I was told by another breeder/trainer many years ago about when pup tries to show dominance to you or another human, to quickly grab, hold pup down and glare straight into their eyes till they look away. You haft to win. They even suggested growling and saying NO to the pup at the same time. Lastly and some may think too gross, was to druell into the puppies mouth till they licked it and submitted to you.

Has worked every time for me. Best of luck.
NASDC 3xNGDC-RU FC AFC Gertrudes Blue Brandi JH (Brandi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=4915
FC Hi-Tailyn Elektra Fly'n (Elektra)http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4916
Hi-Tailyn Katara (Katara) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4917
Hi-Tailyn Brandi High (Heidi) http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=4920

GrayDawg

Post by GrayDawg » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 pm

doco wrote:When my pups were nipping, not aggressivelly biting, I have always rolled their lip under their canines and applied pressure with three or four of my fingers. They learned quickly that my hand in their mouth is not a good feeling. Like I said it doesn't take long for them to yelp and pull. I may have put a tooth or two through their lip once or twice because they are sharp, but the nipping process with my five dogs was mininal at best. Kinda like "Hooked on Phonics" it worked for me!
BINGO !! Doc has it nailed..... This worked for me with two Weims, one GSP and one Pointer (in process).

Rob
May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

doco
Location: Massena, NY - on the Northermost US/Canadian Border

Post by doco » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:53 pm

mountaindogs wrote:Just as a tiny little aside... be sure to teach him how to "stand " coming out of a sit.
Ditto. My dogs have no Idea what "sit" means. I whoa them at outside doorways, before they come in and I whoa all five of them at dinner time. Just re-inforces what we want them to do in the field. Much like all of the other advice you received, the whole family has to be on board like a well oiled machine, and it seems like you have that covered.

Good for you! Now it's time to focus on the fun stuff.....birds.
If You Ain't Lettin Lead Fly, Nothin Falls......

KJ's Hightailing Saddle x Von Grief's Abbey Road Litter
Whelped 12/23/2010

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3061

FC Von Greif's Abbey Road
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3059

FC/AFC Heidi Von Greif
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3060

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:23 pm

hi-tailyn wrote:Sounds like things may be heading in the right direction.

As unorthodox method of working on dominance issues. Which it sounds like the pup has with wife and child. That what she wants she can growl and nip to get it.

I usually get the dominant pup out of the litters. A couple have had similar issues. If you watch mother and other adult dogs around pups, if the pup crosses the line of biting, etc. the adult is quick to bark, growl, snap at pup. The adult will stay there till pup comes back and licks the adult on the lips and mouth. Thus smiting to the adult.

I was told by another breeder/trainer many years ago about when pup tries to show dominance to you or another human, to quickly grab, hold pup down and glare straight into their eyes till they look away. You haft to win. They even suggested growling and saying NO to the pup at the same time. Lastly and some may think too gross, was to druell into the puppies mouth till they licked it and submitted to you.

Has worked every time for me. Best of luck.

i BIT my pup on ear and on his lip to stop biting.now at 6 months his biting is down to a chew on my fingers.