Judges

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Judges

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 am

The problem we are soon going to have is getting judges. I have been involved with Hunt Test for about 15 years in Minnesota. It has been pretty much the same judges. Not wanting to offend anybody, but they are all getting along in years.
Allowing judges to ride four wheelers will help. We have all seen some pretty rank horses at early season tests and most younger people don't need the expense and hassle of horses and riding someone elses can be a issue. Plus four wheelers are much cheaper for the clubs.
Without some kind of a effort by AKC and the rest of us we are basically done.
We used to start mid April and go to mid June every weekend except labor day in Mn .Now we are down to about eight tests. Economy and lack of judges are part of it.
Cj

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Judges

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:26 am

Having out of date listings beat us up recently. The person calling for judges left a message for a dead guy and got unloaded on by an ex-wife. Judges couldn't make a short day on a horse and sure couldn't walk, so it was a good thing we had fourwheelers. At least no one had a heart attack and had to be airlifted. That's happened at one trial. It's worth it to me to donate for the local VFD to be on site, and provide an AED.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 am

Jerry,

4 wheelers are allowed at AKC HT's per the landowner rules. And when we renewed the Four Brooks lease, we asked for, and received permission from the MN DNR for (4) 4 wheelers during an event. That would allow two courses with atv's for each course.

The ability is there now.

The dynamic of the HT program has changed through the years. It used to be more of a social event, it once was people would arrive to the test site on Friday night with a tent or camper and stay the weekend. We'd BBQ quail/chukar breasts on Sat nite and really have a pot luck.

Back then there really weren't professional HT trainers, it was an owner/handler affair. Then it changed. People starting send dogs off to pros, people would maybe come to watch their brace or handle their brace...grab their ribbon if they were fortunate enough to pass....and then they leave.

So couple the newer AKC regs for judges in that you have to have passed a dog at the level you judge...and the new trend of having a pro train/handle the dog...the potential judges pool has shrunk.
Dan

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:48 am

How about doing away with the seminar. I could be a judge if I didn't have to travel 800 miles to spend a weekend un a seminar. Just give me the test and let. Me judge :)

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 am

ultracarry wrote:How about doing away with the seminar. I could be a judge if I didn't have to travel 800 miles to spend a weekend un a seminar. Just give me the test and let. Me judge :)
Leave a message for Doug Lundgren at AKC.
Dan

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am

I don't think you have to take the seminar it is just strongly suggested, you have to apprentice and meet the placement and or testing requirements...no?

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:19 am

Field trials you don't have to do the seminar and hunt tests you do. I'll call and see what they can do.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 am

ultracarry wrote:Field trials you don't have to do the seminar and hunt tests you do. I'll call and see what they can do.
Webinar, maybe?

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:42 am

Cajun Casey wrote:
ultracarry wrote:Field trials you don't have to do the seminar and hunt tests you do. I'll call and see what they can do.
Webinar, maybe?
This would be a great idea. You can Skype, use Go To Meeting or similar. Or, they can do e-learning online; many scuba agencies have brought in this method.

Meanwhile, I agree with many about the lack of judges for Hunt Tests. I've organized them for two GSP clubs down here for about the last 4 years and it's the biggest PITA you can imagine. There are by far more local FT judges than their HT counterparts down here in FL.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 am

Ultracarry, they just had a seminar this past June right here in Cali.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:48 am

four wheelers would be great. i have never seen them used here.

I saw an older judge using a table to get on a horse one time and he went up and right over. I felt bad for him as he hurt his hip and took him some time to get to his feet. but that man was a bull he got up on that horse and rode the whole day determined to get every dog tested. if he would have had a four wheeler he probably would have been better off.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ultracarry, they just had a seminar this past June right here in Cali.
I was at a field trial :p

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:25 am

It may be a double edged blade, but at least AKC pointing breeds can tap pros. Retrievers judges, at least for field trials, must be amateurs.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:52 pm

campgsp wrote:four wheelers would be great. i have never seen them used here.

I saw an older judge using a table to get on a horse one time and he went up and right over. I felt bad for him as he hurt his hip and took him some time to get to his feet. but that man was a bull he got up on that horse and rode the whole day determined to get every dog tested. if he would have had a four wheeler he probably would have been better off.
GSPCMN had the first hunt test where the judges road four wheeler in 2011. It went well. I don't know how many other clubs tried it. It has to be all horse or all four wheelers.
I spent a good amount of time at Four Brooks with DNR people. The biggest concern is damage in wet years. It is great now but that has not always been the case. We have standing water on the south end some years.
We have been working on trying to get the requirement that you need to have passed a test at the level you wish to judge dropped. When I passed my first master test I certainly wasn't qualified to judge.It don't make a lot of sense.
Mn. was a good place to title dogs. I could run 14 test in the spring and a few in the fall, within 120 miles of home.We lose a few every year. Probably Rice Creek next year. Sorry to see them go. Cj

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:55 pm

Heck, handlers are allowed to ride ATV's. Just get a note from your Dr. And send it in to the AKC..

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:33 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Heck, handlers are allowed to ride ATV's. Just get a note from your Dr. And send it in to the AKC..
Probably be a little more honorable to not lie tothe doctor or whoever.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Heck, handlers are allowed to ride ATV's. Just get a note from your Dr. And send it in to the AKC..

Ezzy
How many times have we seen perfectly able bodied people with handicapped stickers on their car parking in the handicapped parking spots at the store.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:34 pm

Don't judge the book by it's cover. Many folks look healthy in appearance but deal with severe heart disease,lung disease, etc.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:45 am

Ms. Cage wrote:Don't judge the book by it's cover. Many folks look healthy in appearance but deal with severe heart disease,lung disease, etc.
Very true!

Charlie
If you think you can or if you think you can't, you are right either way

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:26 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
How many times have we seen perfectly able bodied people with handicapped stickers on their car parking in the handicapped parking spots at the store.
I don't have a clue since I know you can't tell by looking. I would like to think most people are honest though we all know there are those that think the world revolve around them and think they are entitled to whatever they want. Just don't think I would lie to get something I am not qualified to have and possibly ruin it for someone that needs it.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41 am

A seminar is not required. You can just take a written test instead.

I'm glad they upped the requirements for HT judges, as there are way too many out there that haven't the slightest clue what they're looking at. I only wish the requirements could have been made retroactive, as those same clueless individuals that were grandfathered in are still clueless.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 am

Check page 3... It is required to do the seminar.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:15 am

Yep, 3 stakes at the level or higher to be judged, apprentice, test and seminar. And what does it take to become an FT (AKC) Judge?

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:35 am

ultracarry wrote:Check page 3... It is required to do the seminar.
You're right, my bad. I was confused with the requirements to remain approved.

In that case, yeah, they definitely need to change something. First off, it's hard to find enough attendees to A) convince the AKC to send a rep down and B) pull in enough money to cover expenses - fee from the AKC, facility rental if applicable, etc. The AKC generally wants 20 people to attend if they send a rep down, and that's very hard to do. As a result of that, as mentioned above, folks are forced to travel for a seminar, which very few are interested in doing.

Honestly, in every seminar I've been to, I learned FAR less from the powerpoint presentation than I did from the discussions between the other attendees and the rep. I like talking about what-if scenarios, hearing how different people handle different situations. Instead of a seminar, why not a sort of judge's workshop put on by judges rather than by an AKC rep? Have the AKC provide a rundown of the stuff they definitely want us to go over, and let us take it from there. Just my .02.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:38 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Yep, 3 stakes at the level or higher to be judged, apprentice, test and seminar. And what does it take to become an FT (AKC) Judge?
5 adult stake placements, 2 apprentice assignments, and a test. The seminar is 'strongly recommended'.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am

phermes1 wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Yep, 3 stakes at the level or higher to be judged, apprentice, test and seminar. And what does it take to become an FT (AKC) Judge?
5 adult stake placements, 2 apprentice assignments, and a test. The seminar is 'strongly recommended'.
OR, you can submit a list of five or more American field judging assignements, take the self administered test any you are good to go. There is also a scenario where the person has judged 10 or more stakes and they are expempt from the self administered test as well.

I took the test, even though I had judged over 10 AF stakes at the time, just because the sponsoring club had gone through the trouble of arranging for it.

I do think the AKC is shooting themselves in the foot with the Hunt Test judge requirements. They also make it tough by specifying that trial officials cannot judge. It is hard enough to get good judges as it is...and it is only going to get harder.

RayG

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am

Actually there is a way around those requirements. Once a person has judged a stake they show up in the book. How can they judge without jumping through the hoops? A club can appoint anyone to judge if a judge is unable to make it and no other judge is available. I haven't seen that done yet however.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Actually there is a way around those requirements. Once a person has judged a stake they show up in the book. How can they judge without jumping through the hoops? A club can appoint anyone to judge if a judge is unable to make it and no other judge is available. I haven't seen that done yet however.
Why this fasination with ways to get around the rules?

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:21 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Actually there is a way around those requirements. Once a person has judged a stake they show up in the book. How can they judge without jumping through the hoops? A club can appoint anyone to judge if a judge is unable to make it and no other judge is available. I haven't seen that done yet however.
Do you have a link to that in writing?

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Go to the bottom of page 2 of the requirements and you will see part of it. I will find the other part but I only come on here using my phone and the screen is cracked up so give me a few.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Go to the bottom of page 2 of the requirements and you will see part of it. I will find the other part but I only come on here using my phone and the screen is cracked up so give me a few.
Thank you. I'm mobile, also, so I understand.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Or maybe I need to lay off of the tequila until after noon. I'm having trouble finding it.

dan v

Post by dan v » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:09 pm

It used to be, if you attended the seminar, you got an AKC judges number. You showed up in the AKC judges search then as well.

I know a couple of HT judges that declined to re-take the written test...they had judged for plenty of years. Now you have to re-cert every 5 years I believe.
Dan

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Not too sure about that. I judged in the type of situation you describe, but I'm not in the book.

Doug

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:26 pm

RayGubernat wrote: I do think the AKC is shooting themselves in the foot with the Hunt Test judge requirements. They also make it tough by specifying that trial officials cannot judge. It is hard enough to get good judges as it is...and it is only going to get harder.

RayG
I agree in part. Now that I understand it right, I think the seminar requirement is a problem and needs to be changed. I don't think the test requirement is a big deal, but understand that others feel differently.
I agree with the requirements to have qualified a dog at the level to be judged or higher. Far too many HT judges had no earthly idea what they were looking at because they have never actually done it themselves. And of course, since those folks never have a dog to run - they're always available to judge, so they seem to be on judging panels a bit too often. Again why I would have liked to see this particular requirement made retroactive.
I think requiring 8 assignments between the 2 judges for a particular test has had the most short-term impact. As many predicted, it's led clubs to using the same judges over and over, because none of the up and coming folks have enough judging assignments to get the panel approved.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Or maybe I need to lay off of the tequila until after noon. I'm having trouble finding it.
Them TaKillYa sunrises will get you every time. :)

Seriously, I think kicking this stuff around provides good information for organizers and participants both.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:37 pm

I like the webinar idea but would it have to be something that the AKC organizes and hosts or could qualified jiudges host them independently? I don't see the AKC supporting field events very much.

As for ATV's don't you guys think that private grounds as well as some government grounds would frown on the highways that would be cut? Our northern grounds here would ban as that's for sure.

MillerClemsonHD

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm

[/quote]There is also a scenario where the person has judged 10 or more stakes and they are expempt from the self administered test as well.
RayG[/quote]

Can anyone expand on this or provide info on where I can get some details. We can greatly expand our judges pool down here in the south if this is true. Not that easy for me to convince someone that has been running dogs longer than I have been alive that they need to take a test to prove to the AKC they know what they are talking about.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:59 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I like the webinar idea but would it have to be something that the AKC organizes and hosts or could qualified jiudges host them independently? I don't see the AKC supporting field events very much.

As for ATV's don't you guys think that private grounds as well as some government grounds would frown on the highways that would be cut? Our northern grounds here would ban as that's for sure.
Thr breed parent wnd local clubs need to get more involved with breed and event education, IMO.

Also, what's wrong with electric ATVs? Vehicle use doesn't have to be ecologically abusive. It just requires proactive management.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:53 pm

MillerClemsonHD wrote:
There is also a scenario where the person has judged 10 or more stakes and they are expempt from the self administered test as well.
RayG[/quote]

Can anyone expand on this or provide info on where I can get some details. We can greatly expand our judges pool down here in the south if this is true. Not that easy for me to convince someone that has been running dogs longer than I have been alive that they need to take a test to prove to the AKC they know what they are talking about.[/quote]

I do believe they may have changed the language somewhat from when I got my card, but here is the current language in the AKC rulebook:

1. Eligibility. Persons judging field trials are not required to obtain licenses and a field trial club may submit the name of any reputable person who is in good standing with The American Kennel Club for approval to judge at its field trial. Such approved Judges may run dogs in any stakes in which they are not judging, except as otherwise provided for in these Rules.
As a matter of policy, judges must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
As a condition of approval, all Judges must have a record of having handled a dog or dogs to five (5) placements in adult stakes in any Pointing Breed field trials, exception being made for persons that have judged ten (10) or more assignments at AKC field trials.
In order to be approved to be published in the premium list, the two Judges of each stake must have a combined record of having judged at least five (5) adult stakes in AKC or American Field field trials. For example, if one Judge has judged two adult stakes, the second Judge must have judged at least three adult stakes at AKC-licensed and member club trials.
Persons that have never judged an AKC field trial must take a self-administered test prepared by AKC and successfully apprentice twice at AKC Licensed or Member Club field trial(s) at the stake level to be judged or higher. The two apprenticeships must be done under different judges. Approved American Field Judges are exempt from the apprentice requirement.
The AKC strongly recommends that all prospective Judges attend an AKC-sponsored field trial seminar. Persons who have judged at ten (10) or more field trials are exempt from the five placement requirement, the self-administered test and apprenticeship requirement.

The way I read it, a person who has judged five AF stakes needs only to take the test. Not a big deal at all. All the answers that are peculiar to the AKC are in the rulebook...at least they were for my test. There ARE some minor differences between the way an AF trial is judged, especially gun dog requirements, and the AKC does have a rule that to place as a derby or older, the dog has to point a bird. Soooo, it is probably a good idea for an AF judge to read the book...at least once. :lol: :lol:

Honestly, the only part of judging an AKC stake that I felt even a little uncomfortable with... was the retrieving portion, because AF don't do retrieving stuff. A good bird dog is a good bird dog... long tail, short tail, no tail, slick coat or fuzzy, any color or combination of colors...a good bird dog is a good bird dog.

I can tell you this...if the AKC said that to continue judging, I would need to re-certify...I would not. Riding every single brace, rain, snow, hot or cold is not something I HAVE to do. Having just about every person(except the handler of the winning dog) in the stake PO'ed at me is something I can do without. I can sit in the clubhouse just fine, until it is time to run my own dog. I completely understand how a person who has been judging for ten or more years could consider it insulting to be REQUIRED to take a test and refuse. That makes it easy to walk away.

Do they have judge's tests for conformation judges? Do the individual breed clubs require that conformation judges demonstrate an in depth knowledge of their particular breed before they will approve them a a judge for a show? I don't do dog shows so, I honestly don't know.

RayG

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Ray, I believe that statement is what led me to believe that "any" member could judge if needed. That in combination of the rule that states any judge who has judged one stake is eligible. The wording is fuzzy to me.'

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I like the webinar idea but would it have to be something that the AKC organizes and hosts or could qualified jiudges host them independently? I don't see the AKC supporting field events very much.

As for ATV's don't you guys think that private grounds as well as some grounds would frown on the highways that would be cut? Our northern grounds here would ban as that's for sure.
We haven't found that to be a problem. The riders need to use a little discretion. They work good, cost a fraction of horse costs, aren't as likely to buck you off and are quicker to get to the pointing dog. If it would be extremely wet there would be a problem, but horses do damage also.
It opens the door to alot of people who are afraid of or don't want to mess with horses. All of the grounds we have run on up here will allow them except possibly one and the judges walk at that one. NSTRA uses them all the time.
It is a bit of a bummer for the judges who have the investment in horses and trailers and such . We may lose some of them. Cj

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:41 pm

I wouldn't see a problem with judging off ATV but I sure wouldn't enter my dog in a hunt test with one up by the handlers.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Ray, as for conformation judging requirements? Sadly, having attended hundreds of shows over the past 6 years including a few Westminster's and several nationals, I should know more. I believe that they have to breed a few litters and owning or co-owning several dogs helps their resume but I'm not aware of formal training or testing. It sounds like they just get some respect in a breed, receive a book of guidelines and then they start off judging sweepstake classes and move themselves up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:43 pm

NEW BREED JUDGE – REQUIREMENTS MAY 2012
GUIDELINES FOR APPLYING
New breed judging applicants may apply for up to a single group or its equivalent on their first application. The
following forms must be completed, signed and returned for processing: Questionnaire, 12-5-4 Form and/or New Breed
Alternate Method, Synopsis and exams. New breed judge forms available at:
www.akc.org/judges/conformation/index.cfm
-
The following criteria are mandatory to apply for initial breed(s):
 Completed 6 stewarding assignments at AKC® member or licensed shows in the three years immediately
preceding application.
 Completed 6 judging assignments at AKC sanctioned matches, specialty matches, sweepstakes, open shows
or futurities. Sweepstakes, futurities, open shows and specialty matches count as two. Fun Matches, Junior
Showmanship or Obedience assignments are not acceptable.
 Must attend a Basic Institute prior to requesting regular status but not earlier than two years prior to
submission of initial application.
 Met AKC’s occupational eligibility requirements as indicated in Chapter 7, Section 1.
 Successfully completed Anatomy and Procedural “open-book” exams.
 New breed judges who wish to judge Junior Showmanship must pass an “open-book” exam and meet the
requirements stated on the JS application.
Only those breeds in which the applicant has documented experience in the owning, breeding and exhibiting
category will be granted on the first application.
12-5-4 Method - Must have 12 or more years exhibiting in conformation in at least one breed applied for and fulfill the
litter and champion requirements.
 Have 12 or more years experience exhibiting in Conformation in at least one breed applied for
(Documentation must include date of exhibiting and club membership, this documentation must be included
in order to process application)
 Have bred and raised 5 or more litters on your premises in each breed
 Have bred 4 or more champions in each breed (whether or not owned or handled by the applicant)
Litters and co-owned litters must have been whelped and raised on applicant’s premises. The required four
champions must be from litters whelped and raised on applicant’s premises.
However, if applicant does not meet litter/or champion requirements under the 12-5-4, the New Breed Alternate
method may be used.
New Breed Alternate Method – Must have 15 or more years experience in conformation in at least one breed applied
for and must be able to document having accomplished any combination of four of the following components in each initial
breed.
 Bred and raised four litters in each breed(s) requested on his/her premises
 AKC Breeder of Merit for the breed applied.
 Bred at least two champions in each breed requested
 Owned at least one dog in each breed requested, that sired four champions (Dog must have resided at
applicant’s home while used at stud)
 Owned or maintained for the duration four dogs in each breed requested that earned championships while
residing at applicant’s home
 Personally exhibited four dogs in each breed requested to their championships, earning all 15 points and both
majors (this requirement is the same for owners and professional handlers)
 Personally exhibited two dogs in each breed requested as specials for a minimum of two years or
approximately 60 shows (this requirement is the same for owners and professional handlers)
 Documented 25 years of experience exhibiting dogs in conformation
RJL003 – 5/2012
New Breed Judge – Requirements Page 2
Qualified fanciers on their first application may apply for up to a single group or its numerical equivalent, not to
include a whole group. For example, a prospective applicant may apply for the Terrier Group or up to 27 breeds
providing the breeds applied for do not include all of the breeds in a single group. If the application included all
breeds in the Non-Sporting Group, it would be limited to the 17 breeds in that group.
Following the screening and interview, the Staff Committee reviews the application. Upon review by the Judges
Review Committee the number of breeds to be approved on a Permit Status will be determined by review of the
complete application process and the results of the interview process with the Executive Field Representative. Judges
will be informed by mail or email of their permit status. Passing the breed interview is mandatory in order to be
considered by the Judges Review Committee. Failure of any breed interview will result in that breed being pulled from
consideration. Failure of wicket or scales during breed interview will result in a second wicket or scales demonstration
needed before application reviewed by Judges Review Committee. Judges may not accept assignments until they have
received official notification of their permit status. The judge’s file and AKC’s Website will be updated and the judge’s
name, number and the breeds granted on a permit basis will be published in the next available issue of the GAZETTE.
As a result of the October 2010 Board Meeting, publication notice in the Gazette was combined into one notice.
The approval process includes an opportunity for the fancy to respond to each application to judge. Upon the review
of any responses received you will be advised of any questions or concerns that arise and provided the opportunity to
respond before any further AKC action is taken if warranted.
All new breed applicants must attend a Basic Judging Institute presented by AKC prior to submitting their regular status
request, but not earlier than two years prior to the submission of the initial application. After completing three permit
assignments in each breed with a total of three observations by three different Executive Field Representatives, judges
should notify Judging Operations, in writing, requesting regular status. Regular status form is available by request from
the office or downloaded from the website located at www.akc.org/judges/conformation/index.cfm. Following a
Marginal or Does Not Meet Evaluations, at least two additional evaluations on that breed will be required. Additional
permit assignments may be directed. Documentation should include shows, dates and the number of dogs present in
each breed. The Staff Committee evaluates requests and judges are notified of the decision in writing. Judges’ names
together with their breed(s) are published in the GAZETTE and added to AKC’s Website. When granted regular status
for breeds, applicant will not automatically receive regular status for Junior Showmanship, unless applicant has
completed three Junior Showmanship assignments and received three positive observation reports. Permit status in
Junior Showmanship does not affect eligibility to apply for additional breeds.
For a quick view of the step by step application process see the enclosed flow chart.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:59 pm

Suddenly, passing a written test and apprenticing doesn't seem so bad. :lol:

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:53 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Ray, I believe that statement is what led me to believe that "any" member could judge if needed. That in combination of the rule that states any judge who has judged one stake is eligible. The wording is fuzzy to me.'
Substitute Judges: A substitute Judge may be appointed by the Hunt Test Committee holding the test if it is impossible for an advertised Judge to fulfill or complete his assignment. Such substitute or additional Judges shall be persons who are in good standing with The American Kennel Club. Prompt notification shall be sent to the AKC, in advance of the test if possible, of any substitute or additional Judges officiating at a licensed or member test, and of the reasons for the change.
Dan

dan v

Post by dan v » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:54 am

brad27 wrote:Suddenly, passing a written test and apprenticing doesn't seem so bad. :lol:
Brad...there is one huge difference. HT/FT judges don't make a living judging.....conformation judges do, or can.
Dan

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:20 am

I was just thinking. What if we all start a Courtesy tip box for the judges at the tests we attend. I know they are not going to make a living on it but it still would be a nice thing to do.
These guys and girls take the time out of there life's to judge for us so I think it would be a nice gesture.
I surly wouldn't mind throwing them a few bucks each day of the test.
What do you guys think?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:24 am

Wyndancer wrote:
brad27 wrote:Suddenly, passing a written test and apprenticing doesn't seem so bad. :lol:
Brad...there is one huge difference. HT/FT judges don't make a living judging.....conformation judges do, or can.
Do HT/FT judges receive any fee or do they judge for free? I do believe all NAVHDA judges judge for free with just expenses paid, so curious on other venues.