Registered Dog Names

cptn

Registered Dog Names

Post by cptn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 am

This is my first show quality Brittany, and I'm debating on whether I will show him not. I still haven't registered him yet because I've never come up with a full registered name for a dog before. How do you go about doing so? His call name is July. His "middle" name is Rousse, and we call him Roussey a lot, too. His breeder's kennel was called Redwing. Do I have to include the kennel's name in it? His name is July purely because I thought I was going to pick him up in July, but he ended up being whelped way earlier in March and I got him in may, so I don't want to include cheesy 4th of July things in his name. :P
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

1vizsla

Re: Registered Dog Names

Post by 1vizsla » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:25 am

If the breeder didn't say anything about the kennel name then just ask and if they don't care you can name it anything you want. I am horrible at coming up with registered names. What are some of the things the dog does? Example: our one dog talks a lot, not barking, just talking, so we named her Storyteller.

Carla

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:35 pm

If the breeder doesn;t require the use of his/her kennel name you don't have to... but it is a very sportsmanlike thing to do if you are going to be showing your dog. Just as I would want the credit for the dogs I have bred, I have no problem giving credit to the breeders that I have chosen to obtain a dog from.

I am proud to say that I have dogs from Hope's, Rainbow Ridge, and Labyrinth N' Illusion. All of them live at "Fireside" and their offspring will carry my prefix.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:42 pm

You don't have to include the kennel name, if you do want to include it you much get permission from the kennel. Per the AKC: "The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it."

rinker

Post by rinker » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:50 pm

I name them after song titles.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:36 pm

nikegundog wrote:You don't have to include the kennel name, if you do want to include it you much get permission from the kennel. Per the AKC: "The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it."
That only applies to registered kennel names which are not common. Most breeders are pleased when their kennel names are used in the registered name.

If you have a breeder that requires their kennel name be used, you can white it out and name them whatever you want, but don;t expect them to be pleased about it. You might find it somewhat difficult to find another serious breeder to sell you another puppy after pulling that... Words gets out believe me!

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:04 pm

I usually come up with the most rediculous registered name i can come up with and let it tie back to the call name.

"oak ridge kickin' chicken" = Rooster

"Wolf Plain Brooks Midwest Bullwinkle" = Moose

and many more before them.

I grew up around race/show horses, and started naming my dogs to give my dad and his buddies a hard time. I just like to have fun with it.

I Almost always give the credit to the breeder when I name a pup and use the kennel name, other wise I have always used the "Oak Ridge" In refrence to a sighn that was infront of my dads place when he bought it..... Ive got something a little more fitting when
I start breeding my own.

Jim
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:05 pm

If the breeder wants you to use his name try redwings July Rousse. If he doesn't ask and you want to use it you need to ask him.

V-John

Post by V-John » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

The dog's call name and my last name. They are just one of the family and are named as such.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:50 pm

Fireside wrote:
nikegundog wrote:You don't have to include the kennel name, if you do want to include it you much get permission from the kennel. Per the AKC: "The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it."
That only applies to registered kennel names which are not common. Most breeders are pleased when their kennel names are used in the registered name.

If you have a breeder that requires their kennel name be used, you can white it out and name them whatever you want, but don;t expect them to be pleased about it. You might find it somewhat difficult to find another serious breeder to sell you another puppy after pulling that... Words gets out believe me!
If the breeder requires that their kennel name is used, they are suppose to register it themselves, AKC has made it very clear : "The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it."

cptn

Post by cptn » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks, guys! I didn't think there would be so much etiquette involved in it. I was thinking of Redwing's Juillet Rousse. Juillet is July in French and Rousse is Red-headed in French. Incorporates his call name, and I think it sounds kind of classy. What do you think?
---
July Rousse - "Roussey"
Alex - "Grem-grem"

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:06 pm

Sounds great

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:40 am

Wasn't July Johnson's wife a redhead in Lonesome Dove? I'd do something with that. That's one of my favorite movies.

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:06 am

One of the pointer pups I sold was named: Fireshell's Meghan Lake

I kind of like the ring of that!

BirdDogJoe

Post by BirdDogJoe » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:04 pm

I tie all of my dog's names in with cars. I have "Full Throttle Ferrari" -- call name Enzo, and "Hurricane's Shelby Cobra" -- call name Shelby.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:13 pm

cptn wrote:What do you think?
perfect

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:33 pm

Name the dog whatever you want. It is completely up to you.
When it comes to using the kenel name, the only restriction is whether or not the kenel allows you to use it by clicking a box on the registration papers.
That being said, it is simply respectfull to use a kenel name and giving the kenel the recognition it derserves by breeding your show quality brittany.
I use names out of Shakespeare's plays for my dogs as I am an English Professor.