Old time brittany grouse bloodlines

grousecrazy

Old time brittany grouse bloodlines

Post by grousecrazy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:14 pm

Trying to find a Brittany that has close old-time grouse bloodlines. Not looking for field trial stock, but old time meat dogs. Thought someone in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, or the New England states might have access or information on these lines. Any help appreciated.

-Grousecrazy
"Far more important than the gun is a soundly tutored knowledge of field manners and tactics as between a dog and man."
-Nash Buckingham

grousecrazy

Re: Old time brittany grouse bloodlines

Post by grousecrazy » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:03 pm

Ones that have 2nd or 3rd generation dogs.
"Far more important than the gun is a soundly tutored knowledge of field manners and tactics as between a dog and man."
-Nash Buckingham

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm

I never have heard of any certain lines as most will hunt them if trained to do it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 pm

There is still some old blood up here, I don't have any contact info handy but trappercase on the upland journal forum could help you out. If you don't go on that site let me know and I'll try to track down an e-mail tomorrow.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Both of my dogs come from grouse country and were used that way but I don't think you can call them a grouse line as many dogs in the line are used for other birds.

Ezzy

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

cliff

Post by cliff » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:49 am

I was looking for the same thing a few years ago. I decided to go with a French Brit and haven't been dissapointed. French Brit is definately the "old time" line, my French Brit loks just like the pictures of my grandfather's circa 1940s Brit. You can check CEB-USA for different French Brits, there are a few in the Lake States. The advise I recieved when I was looking was that breeders in more northern areas tended to have closer working, tight cover (ie grouse/woodcock) dogs . While breeders from the plains and the south tended to have bigger running dogs that were good for the birds of wide open spaces.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:11 am

Winchey wrote:There is still some old blood up here, I don't have any contact info handy but trappercase on the upland journal forum could help you out. If you don't go on that site let me know and I'll try to track down an e-mail tomorrow.
Never been on there. I could really use the email if that's possible and you don't mind. Thanks for the heads up!

Grousecrazy
-Nash Buckingham

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:21 am

ezzy333 wrote:Both of my dogs come from grouse country and were used that way but I don't think you can call them a grouse line as many dogs in the line are used for other birds.

Ezzy
Maybe. Either way, there is definitely a difference between a grouse dog and a quail dog, and the bloodlines will reflect it in the grouse woods.

Grousecrazy
Last edited by grousecrazy on Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nash Buckingham

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Pm sent

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:31 pm

If I may interject: (How do you like that start?) :D
I have had American brits. Love them. They make good grouse dogs from any lines I have seen. It has more to do with exposure to the bird you are hunting and the range and cautiousness of the parents and the pup.

Having said that: I have found that out of the box. The French Brittanies (EB,)seem to take to grouse hunting easier and quicker. Not saying down the road a few years that the other breeds don't catch up just that it seems to be quicker. This has been the case with all four of mine that I have and have had. This is just my observation.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:If I may interject: (How do you like that start?) :D
I have had American brits. Love them. They make good grouse dogs from any lines I have seen. It has more to do with exposure to the bird you are hunting and the range and cautiousness of the parents and the pup.

This is so right. A bird dog is a bird dog and given the chance to learn can handle any bird. Some may be slower and closer than others and if that is what you want, then you will look at them as better grouse dogs but the next guy will be just the opposite. But either way the dog can and will hunt grouse, quail, pheasant, chukar equally and given the experience will learn to handle them well.

Ezzy

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:If I may interject: (How do you like that start?) :D
I agree 100%. What I am looking for is a line that is known for a "choke-bore" nose and one that will hunt the world apart. What kind of Brittany lines have you seen around Maine?
-Nash Buckingham

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:52 pm

http://www.brittanygrousedogs.com/page05.html

There is a fella up here who has these dogs as well. They are bird dogs and handle grouse early. I have seen them go in the woods quite a few times, he also does some akc hb stuff with them.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Winchey wrote:http://www.brittanygrousedogs.com/page05.html

There is a fella up here who has these dogs as well. They are bird dogs and handle grouse early. I have seen them go in the woods quite a few times, he also does some akc hb stuff with them.
Thanks for the lead. I just finished sending him an email.
-Nash Buckingham

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 am

Frank and Donna Have been producing great Brittanies for a long time.
Donna & Frank Pride Jr
382 Lemon Stream Rd
N New Portland, Maine 04961
207-628-4146 Maine.
479-969-8232 Winter residence. Arkansa or Alabama
I think these numbers are right.

I have seen these folks dogs in a few Gun dog trials but have not seen them work on Grouse.
But the trials have been mostly in grouse type cover and they worked the woods well. John hunts his brittanies. They are good folks.
J & A's Brittanys
John and Ann Short
Acton, ME 04001
207-636-9855
jasbrittanys@comcast.net

Rick

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 am

Thanks ruffshooter. Will look into those and check out the lines.
-Nash Buckingham

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:56 am

There use to be a guy here in Ohio that bred & trained specifically for grouse hunting but he passed away yrs ago & evidently that line went with him.I Haven't heard of or seen any of the Mr ED's
Brittanies line around in so long I had forgot about them.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:There use to be a guy here in Ohio that bred & trained specifically for grouse hunting but he passed away yrs ago & evidently that line went with him.I Haven't heard of or seen any of the Mr ED's
Brittanies line around in so long I had forgot about them.
Thanks for letting me know. I will do some research on that line and see if anything comes of it. Want me to let you know if it does?
-Nash Buckingham

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:46 pm

No need to let me know but there has to be some out there some where,from what I understood he had as many as 80 at one time.I'm only going from some of the people that had one
or been to his place said so that could very well be an exageration but the owners swore by his breeding & training plus he lived in the middle of some of the best grouse habitat in Ohio at that time.
I'm talkin 30 yrs ago or better & the grouse are pretty much gone also. :evil:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:07 pm

I remember Mr ED. He ha some nice dogs that he sold all over the country but haven't heard of any for years with his name on them. I didn't think he had any special line though as he bought and sold every where.

Ezzy

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:07 pm

Ezzy I guess us old foggies still can remember a few things even though it takes others to jog our memories once in a while. :lol: :P I do remember him supposedly doing some linebreeding but like you said
he also bought,sold, & trained alot of dogs.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:11 pm

My parents raise brittanies and they are hunted on grouse on a regular basis. In fact I just got off the phone and my father is up north with the dogs hunting grouse. That said I don't know what you mean by old-time grouse lines and his dogs are also field trial dogs (cover dog and planted bird) so they may not be what you are looking for. I've posted several pictures over the years of the their dogs both training and hunting grouse in case your interested.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:No need to let me know but there has to be some out there some where,from what I understood he had as many as 80 at one time.I'm only going from some of the people that had one
or been to his place said so that could very well be an exageration but the owners swore by his breeding & training plus he lived in the middle of some of the best grouse habitat in Ohio at that time.
I'm talkin 30 yrs ago or better & the grouse are pretty much gone also. :evil:
Found a place in Athens, OH that has the title of Mr. Ed's Brittanies. No website available though. There is also other places that have the Ed's... in the title of a few of their dogs. But I'm not sure if they are actually of that line.
-Nash Buckingham

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Grange wrote:My parents raise brittanies and they are hunted on grouse on a regular basis. In fact I just got off the phone and my father is up north with the dogs hunting grouse. That said I don't know what you mean by old-time grouse lines and his dogs are also field trial dogs (cover dog and planted bird) so they may not be what you are looking for. I've posted several pictures over the years of the their dogs both training and hunting grouse in case your interested.
What part of the north is your father in? We just got back from a weekend in Michigan. We are looking for one that has a pedigree that is known for a "choke-bore" nose and will hunt the world apart trying to find the birds. Alot of standards I know, but just doing some research on what is out there. Does your parents have a website or anything, and where are the pictures?
-Nash Buckingham

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:04 pm

GC I would give that fellow a call & see what kind of info you could get because if I'm not mistaken that's where the origianal Mr ED's was located BUT it could be someone just trying
to get a heads up on the name of a man that had a pretty good reputation.Sending you a PM also.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Vonzeppelinkennels wrote:GC I would give that fellow a call & see what kind of info you could get because if I'm not mistaken that's where the origianal Mr ED's was located BUT it could be someone just trying
to get a heads up on the name of a man that had a pretty good reputation.Sending you a PM also.
Will call him tomorrow. Thanks for the help. Replied to your PM also.
-Nash Buckingham

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:26 am

Ruffshooter wrote:Having said that: I have found that out of the box. The French Brittanies (EB,)seem to take to grouse hunting easier and quicker. Not saying down the road a few years that the other breeds don't catch up just that it seems to be quicker. This has been the case with all four of mine that I have and have had. This is just my observation.

I’d recommend Mark Dinsmore /L’Etoile du Nord Kennels in Sykeston ND. Breeds some of the best EB's in the world.

On here his name is ohmymy111

Great guy, unbelievable dogs!!

http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com/

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:27 am

rkappes wrote:
Ruffshooter wrote:Having said that: I have found that out of the box. The French Brittanies (EB,)seem to take to grouse hunting easier and quicker. Not saying down the road a few years that the other breeds don't catch up just that it seems to be quicker. This has been the case with all four of mine that I have and have had. This is just my observation.

I’d recommend Mark Dinsmore /L’Etoile du Nord Kennels in Sykeston ND. Breeds some of the best EB's in the world.

On here his name is ohmymy111

Great guy, unbelievable dogs!!

http://www.letoiledunordkennels.com/
If you are open to a French Brit: I will whole heartedly second this.

Rick

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 am

grousecrazy wrote:
Grange wrote:My parents raise brittanies and they are hunted on grouse on a regular basis. In fact I just got off the phone and my father is up north with the dogs hunting grouse. That said I don't know what you mean by old-time grouse lines and his dogs are also field trial dogs (cover dog and planted bird) so they may not be what you are looking for. I've posted several pictures over the years of the their dogs both training and hunting grouse in case your interested.
What part of the north is your father in? We just got back from a weekend in Michigan. We are looking for one that has a pedigree that is known for a "choke-bore" nose and will hunt the world apart trying to find the birds. Alot of standards I know, but just doing some research on what is out there. Does your parents have a website or anything, and where are the pictures?
My parents live just north of Green Bay, WI and mostly hunt the northeast part of the state where our cottage is.

They do not have a website. Here is a link to the post I made for their last breeding, which includes the pedigrees.

viewtopic.php?f=120&t=35416&p=334325#p334325

In that link is a link to the first breeding and has additional pictures and a video of the male pointing a quail. I know my parents are planning on doing another repeat breeding based on the positive feed back they've received (from puppy owners and people that have seen the dogs) and from their own observations with the two they held back. They are are also planning on breeding the two females they held back.

You could probably search my username and find additional pictures of the brittanies if you don't mind wading through pictures of my english setter and black lab.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:59 am

Smokin Gun Brittanys http is not too far from KY, depending on where you live. http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... tanys.html . Eric Lowman is his name and he lives in Connely Springs, NC. He is good friends and lives just down the road from Nolan Huffman, who owned Buddy or Nolan's Last Bullet (32X NSTRA). He has some GREAT dogs... he has direct offspring from Nolan's Last Bullet, Shambow's Dark Shadow, Kansas Renegade Kid, Just Call Me Roy... among other greats. While they are good field trial dogs, they also hunt grouse and woodcock in the dense brush of the mountains and foothills of NC. His name is Eric Lowman, he is a good ole boy who cares about his customers and dogs... a clean kennel with very nicely mannered dogs, good referals. My pup has all the potential in the world and has TONS of drive. Once I got the little bugger obeying, he has been all we could ask for. He has a litter due in a month or more... give him a shout or let me know.

grousecrazy

Post by grousecrazy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:28 pm

boonebrit wrote:Smokin Gun Brittanys http is not too far from KY, depending on where you live. http://www.gundogbreeders.com/breeders- ... tanys.html . Eric Lowman is his name and he lives in Connely Springs, NC. He is good friends and lives just down the road from Nolan Huffman, who owned Buddy or Nolan's Last Bullet (32X NSTRA). He has some GREAT dogs... he has direct offspring from Nolan's Last Bullet, Shambow's Dark Shadow, Kansas Renegade Kid, Just Call Me Roy... among other greats. While they are good field trial dogs, they also hunt grouse and woodcock in the dense brush of the mountains and foothills of NC. His name is Eric Lowman, he is a good ole boy who cares about his customers and dogs... a clean kennel with very nicely mannered dogs, good referals. My pup has all the potential in the world and has TONS of drive. Once I got the little bugger obeying, he has been all we could ask for. He has a litter due in a month or more... give him a shout or let me know.
Thanks for the heads up. Greatly appreciated.
-Nash Buckingham

ejb3810

Post by ejb3810 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:40 am

After much research and soul searching, my next dog will come from L'Escarbot Kennel. They have a web site. I have come to the conclusion that if you are primarily a Ruffed Grouse hunter, then the breed that seems best suited to that is the E'Pagneul Breton. I have been a Lab man for more years than I wish to remember, but I really don't spend much time waterfowling any longer. I still love a Lab, and there are many breeds that will do a commendable job. At this time in my life I wish to make things as easy as possible.

Fireside

Post by Fireside » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:46 pm

Let me give a rousing second to John & Ann Short! They are terrific people that actually hunt their dogs... I don;t think that you could go wrong there!

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:08 pm

It almost seems that in some circles it is a negative if the dog was put in a field trial and happened to win. Its not his fault... its where his master made him hunt :? Look on the ABC web site and look at the dogs that have won grouse championships in the North east. It seems that they cant be bad dogs. :wink: